The Content Of The Article:
- So the ball maple is planted
- Care and cutting of the ball maple
- Hibernating the globe maple
- Diseases at the ball maple
- Worth knowing about the maple in brief
A maple tree is a tree of the maple family, which is characterized by a spherical shape and is becoming more popular due to its advantageous properties. In general, the maple is a very easy-care tree, which with the right location and the optimal cut to a beautiful garden ornament.
So the ball maple is plantedIf a ball maple is to be replanted, the location plays an important role in future growth. The most important aspects of the location are:
- sunny to partially shaded
- not added to soils
- enough space
In general, the maple can be planted year-round and it can be bought in any season as a container. Planting is very easy with this tree:
- dig out a small hole
- Insert ball maple
- Mix soil with compost
- Fill hole with the mixture
- Firmly press the earth around the tree and
- Finally: pour
Care and cutting of the ball mapleThe care of the ball maple is very easy, because this tree is very undemanding and does not require regular fertilization. The first few years after planting it can be cut into shape if necessary, whereby it also develops its spherical shape independently and then completely retains it after several years.
When cutting the maple, only the branches protruding from the leaf should be cut, so that the round shape is simply adjusted. A radical cut is not necessary and can also weaken the maple, which is why it is strongly discouraged. The wounds after the cut heal in this species only very slowly and heavily, which is why large interfaces should be avoided - if larger branches visually disturb, then the meaning and benefits of the shape cut should be carefully weighed.
Very important is the season for the cut, as the maple tends to bleed heavily and for this reason the shape cut should take place at non-growing times. Ideal is therefore the cut towards the end of winter and should be carried out until the end of February at the latest.
Another problem with the cut-sensitive maple is the infestation with red pustules, which can reach the tree via the interfaces or wounds. The cutting is therefore always associated with a certain risk, but which can be minimized by these methods as far as possible:
- Disinfecting the scissors
- only small interfaces
- Sealing of the interfaces
Hibernating the globe mapleWhen wintering of this tree you need not worry about, because the maple frost and cold tolerated very well.
Diseases at the ball mapleThe topic of diseases also shows that the maple is a very easy-care and robust tree. Smaller insects usually do not bother him, so you do not have to worry about aphids, for example. To the classical illnesses belong with a Kugelahorn:
- the mildew as well
- the red pustule disease
The powdery mildew is a fungal disease of the tree and is shown by a whitish coating on the leaves. He likes to appear in humid weather conditions and mainly at the times in which new leaves form the Kugelahorn. In the majority of cases, powdery mildew disappears in the autumn, but can recur in the following year, especially during mild winters. This is more of an aesthetic problem of the maple and fighting is not necessarily required, but it can be applied to more sensitive plants. If endangered plants are near an affected maple then mildew should be combated as early as possible. The following are available as home remedies:
- Milk-water mixture (1 part milk to 9 parts water)
- Oil-water mixture (50 ml cooking oil to 5 liters of water)
- Baking soda-water mixture (3 sachets of baking soda per 5 liters of water)
The red pustule disease is also a fungus that predominantly attacks weakened or dead wood. If it settles on living trees, it releases toxins from it, which in the worst case could lead to the death of the tree - a fight is therefore urgently needed.
One can recognize the red pustule disease on typical red to orange outgrowths, as well as a discoloration of the tree bark and possibly also a later detachment of this. Ideally, the red pustule disease is prevented, which is why here the principles for cutting a maple tree must be observed. If the infestation is present, then the only home remedy is a removal of the affected branches by cutting. The removed branches as well as leaves should be burned if possible and under no circumstances be used as compost, as this would lead to a further spread.
Worth knowing about the maple in brief
- The maple can reach heights of up to 25 meters and usually has short-stemmed branches that are growing up.
- The flower usually lies before the leaves in April and consists of lemon yellow umbels.
- The maple tree prefers light shade or sun and is well tolerated by heat and frost, as well as very adaptable and undemanding.
- It grows on all substrates, except on acid soils.
- The ball maple is particularly suitable for a formal garden, for entrance areas and for small avenues.
- When planting, however, a lot is to be considered. For example, for the distance, the roots in the ground must at least reach the extent easily, as above the crown is large.
- If an avenue or a garden boundary is created with the maple, special distances to the neighboring property must be observed.