The Content Of The Article:
- A carport is the ideal parking space
- Carport made of laminated timber, solid construction timber or lumber
- The wood for every requirement
- Worth knowing about carport material shortly
A wooden carport not only offers a parking space for the car. Structurally well planned, it adapts optically harmoniously to the house and garden. While a massive garage often looks clunky and the space optically takes much space, a carport provides optical space and gives the property its width.
A carport is the ideal parking spaceIn fact, not the garage, but the carport often the better parking space for the car. Here the car is parked in a well-ventilated area. In a garage, vehicles often rust, because no ventilation is possible. Now many models of prefabricated carports are available in the hardware stores. Often, however, they are very simple and without optical effect. They are practical, but often no decoration for home and garden. So if you have the manual skills, it is a good idea to build your own carport. Once you have decided to build a carport, the question arises as to what material should be built from.
The most natural and easy-to-use building material is wood. It adapts optically to every home and every garden and is relatively easy to work with. There are not only different woods to choose from, it must also be determined in advance whether the carport is to be built of solid wood or glulam.
Carport made of laminated timber, solid construction timber or lumberWhat is the difference between laminated wood, solid construction timber and laminated wood? The biggest differences are in the moisture of the wood and in its stability.
Glulam (glued laminated timber) is glued from ordered, thin board layers weatherproof and has a very low wood moisture. It works less, is crack-free and its surface is of high quality and planed. Thanks to its good drying, laminated wood is resistant to fungal attack and wood pests. Optimum dimensional stability, high dimensional stability, very long optical quality and durability characterize the laminated wood.
Design solid wood is also called Bauschnittholz. It is a cut with artisanal dried pine wood, fir, larch or spruce with calibrated measuring instruments, which has a maximum moisture content of 15 percent. With the artificial drying also a high dimensional stability is achieved. Visually, the process of drying raises the quality of the cut timber design.
Pressure impregnated lumber has a higher wood moisture content. It was treated against pest infestation and rot. Pressure boilers effect the pressure impregnation with overpressure and heat and make the wood durable. The disadvantage is the absorbed moisture. When drying in the air, the wood works. It may warp and may crack.
The wood for every requirement
- They have no UV protection and should be painted so that the wood does not turn gray. Recommended is an open-pore wood preservative glaze.
- Wooden stands should never stand directly on the floor. The wood absorbs too much moisture despite painting in rainy seasons and the construction takes damage.
- Each post should be placed on a post carrier. The post girders are embedded in concrete to ensure stability.
Never bring wood directly into the ground. Each wood rusts in direct contact with the ground.
The roof of a carport should have a 10 degree slope for rainwater drainage.
Before building a carport, ask the responsible building authority if a building permit is necessary and how far the distance to the neighboring property must be.
The posts give the carport the necessary stability. For static and optical reasons, they should be at least 9 x 9 cm thick.
The roof shape can be the decisive factor. It should fit the house and its surroundings.
When selecting the roofing, a possible snow load should not be underestimated. This applies to both plastic, metal and wood.
Measure carport height and width generously. Decisive are the internal distances of the posts.
Even impregnated softwood must be refreshed after a few years. Only larch and Douglas fir can do without a refresher.Over time they acquire a gray-silvery and noble shimmering surface and need only be refreshed with glaze if the reddish shimmer of the wood is preservedshould stay.
The low-distortion laminated wood has no or only slight cracking. An open-pored wood protection glaze is the ideal basis for long-lasting pleasure.
- Carport kits are not always the better choice
- Timber has a higher wood moisture and can be forgiven slightly
- Construction wood has a residual moisture of up to 15 percent, little distortion
- Glued wood is dry and almost distortion free
- Always protect wood with wood preserving stains against UV light
- Always mount the wooden stand on the post support, so that they do not rot
- Note roof pitch of at least 10 degrees
- Request planning permission from the responsible municipality
- Ask and take note of the distance to the neighboring property
- Refresh softwood in due course
- Prefer porous wood protection glaze
- Roofing optically adapt to the house or location
- Consider snow load when roofing
Worth knowing about carport material shortlyLeimholz
- Laminated wood is glued weatherproof from individual, thin, artificially arranged board layers.
- It complies with the building supervisory requirements and is subject to regular quality control for load-bearing timber parts.
- Due to the manufacturing process, glue wood has an extremely low moisture content.
- As a result, the wood works much less and has a high dimensional stability and dimensional stability.
- It is largely free of cracks and has a high-quality surface (planed and set).
- Due to the artificial drying, it is insensitive to wood pests and fungal infestation, as they only love damp wood.
- This results in a long durability and a high optical quality.
- Boiler pressure impregnated lumber is treated against rot and pest infestation.
- Pressure impregnation is used to introduce preservatives of all kinds deep into the wood.
- This is done in pressure vessels with heat and overpressure. Here, posts are preserved by high pressure injection.
- The disadvantage is that the wood absorbs moisture and dries again and again. As a result, the wood works, can warp and cracks arise.
- Solid construction wood is also referred to as construction timber.
- Solid structural timber is visually or mechanically sorted, technically dried and calibrated solid wood from spruce, fir, pine or larch.
- The term "structural timber" is not standardized, but an invention of the timber industry.
- The sawmill industry guarantees that the structural wood, when delivered to the construction site, has a maximum moisture content of 15%.
- This moisture content is achieved by artificial drying.
- At the same time a higher dimensional accuracy is achieved, the optical quality of the cut lumber is improved.
All woods offer no protection against UV radiation and should be deleted. Against UV radiation (wood graying) a color pigmented protective glaze is recommended for all woods. The fact is that the use of boiler pressure impregnated wood is the cheapest option, the other two wood variants are more expensive according to their quality. However, if you want a certain longevity for your carport, you should use glulam (glued laminated timber) or solid construction wood.