The Content Of The Article:
- Preparation of the bed
- variety selection
- Pile up and dam culture
- Flower beds
- Extension on the balcony
- Diseases and pests
When sowing and caring, the carrots are still simple - but until harvest they can make numerous pests and diseases and significantly reduce the yield. In order for the initial work to be worthwhile and the carrots to land on your own plate, rather than as parasite food, there are a number of factors to consider. However, anyone who does this effort can not only look forward to a great harvest, but will also be able to grow simple carrots in the future. And even on the balcony.
LocationA lot of sun and occasional wind get the carrots very well. The sun provides for a warm soil and good growth, the wind distributes so many parasites from the bed. For more cold soil or a dense wind protection by other plants, raised beds are a good choice. These are also recommended, because they facilitate the cultivation sequence by the clear demarcation.
substratumPermeable, deeply loose and nutrient-rich must be the substrate for the cultivation of the carrots. The soil may be quite loamy, but then it must be loosened up by the addition of sand. Caution is advised if the carrot bed is next to water or in a depression. Although the root vegetables always like moist substrate, wetness does not. If rain or overflow from pond and barrel can not drain away quickly, the harvest is in danger.
Nevertheless, normal garden or plant soil is sufficient as a base. However, the substrate must always be prepared for the cultivation of the carrots.
Preparation of the bedBefore the carrot cultivation can begin, the bed must be prepared for the healthy vegetables. This includes several steps:
In the autumn before cultivation sufficient fertilizer. Ideal are well rotted compost, manure or horn meal.
In the case of substrates which tend to compact or loam, it is necessary to use a spade. Profound loosening of double spade length or a depth of 30 to 50 centimeters is necessary so that on the one hand drain the water and on the other hand, the roots can easily spread. By this measure, at the same time the fertilizer is distributed more evenly.
If the ground is still solid, sand or gravel must be added.
To protect against weeds, a thick layer of mulch is finally applied. The most suitable for this is grass clippings, which can be distributed directly after mowing on the ground.
variety selectionWhile the bed of the Witer through natural processes is the ideal breeding ground for the cultivation of carrots, hobby gardeners will have time to choose the variety. Basically, a distinction is made between stockpots and early carrots. Anyone who wants to harvest in May or June should resort to the early varieties. For a supply of the vitamin A root vegetables rich in autumn and winter according to storage carrots.
Early carrot varieties
- Nantaise breeds, such as Bolero F1 or Flyaway F1
- Purple Haze
- Purple Sun.
- Red Samurai
- Red giant
- Long red blunt (without heart)
sowingDepending on the variety, sowing may begin in February or in June or July. In any case, the sowing of carrot seeds but done directly into the bed. A preference in the house with the following conversion is not recommended in carrots, as the roots are inevitably injured. The yield can be reduced immensely. In addition, the carrots tend to split. Not to mention the additional workload.
For the cultivation of the carrots in the bed, the following procedure is recommended:
- 1. Draw straight lines that are 15 to 25 centimeters apart.
- 2. Place individual seeds at a distance of three to five centimeters, place seed bands in the raised wells.
- 3. Cover the carrot seed with a layer of soil about one centimeter thick.
- 4. Moisten the substrate well.
- 5. Cover with a mulch layer of grass clippings.
Pile up and dam culture
Flower bedsEspecially early varieties of carrots need a lot of time to germination. Three weeks should be at least scheduled. In this phase, the young carrots are particularly vulnerable to competition and are overgrown quickly. Here you have to weed early and regularly to remove weeds. Alternatively - except for the sowing line itself - the entire bed can be covered with mulch from grass clippings. Apart from that, the following points should be taken into account when cultivating the carrot cultivation:
- To mark the sowing line by fast-germinating pointer seed, for example watercress or radish, or to indicate it by a tensioned thread - this makes targeted weeding easier
- If the fertilization of the bed has been missed, it can still be made up with cornmeal during or after sowing
- Cheap companion plants are onions, garlic and leek - these keep away some pests
- Do not plant in the immediate vicinity of parsley, parsnips and other umbelliferae
- In case of infestation with pathogens or pests, immediately remove affected plants and destroy them
- Keep the substrate moist as evenly as possible, but avoid moisture
Extension on the balconyIf you do not have a garden, you do not have to do without fresh carrots from your own vineyard. Some smaller varieties are suitable, such as:
- Nandor F1
- Paris Market
Diseases and pestsAs mentioned above, some pests and diseases can become dangerous to carrots. including:
- carrot fly
- black rot
- carrots blackness
- Violet Rootcatcher
- Choose a windy location, make sure there is enough space between the rows and the carrots themselves
- Protect seeds and plants with a vegetable net or fleece
- Make mixed cultures with onions, leeks, calendula or tagetes
- Only plant carrots in the same bed after three to four years after growing other vegetables
- Perform regular visual inspections and remove and destroy them if there are signs of parasites and pests or bury them deep underground
- Prepare the soil by loosening up on the carrots
- Keep the substrate moist but never soak
Growing carrots is easily possible in your own garden and even on the balcony, if the necessary knowledge is available. The low-maintenance vegetables do not require much work, but still require appropriate protection against infestations with diseases and injurious insects. If this is granted to the carrots, nothing stands in the way of a rich harvest. Even beginners in plant care can be recommended carrots.