The Content Of The Article:
- How to correctly cut lantas - step-by-step instructions
- Cutting off blooms - or not?
- Cut lanterns in summer - is that possible?
- Educational cut to the Hochstämmchen - How it works
The preparations for the late winter pruning begin already in autumn, by giving your lantana in time. If the shrubbery suffers a cold shock, a total failure is inevitable, in which even the best pruning can not change anything. When the right time for the move to winter quarters has come, indicates a minimum-maximum thermometer. How to do it right:
- At night temperatures allow for 10 degrees Celsius
- Place the tubs in the bright, frost-free winter quarters
- Temperature level of at least 5 and at most 15 degrees Celsius
- Do not give fertilizer from October to March
- From time to pour with soft water
Tip: There is no reason for concern when lanterns drop their leaves in winter quarters. On the contrary, pruning is easier on the hand if no leaves obstruct the view for proper cutting.
How to correctly cut lantas - step-by-step instructionsIt is important to note not only when you cut back Lantana camara. Where you put the scissors is also important. How far you cut off the branches also influences the intensity of the subsequent budding. The following instructions provide step-by-step information on how to do it right:
- Cut off all dead and damaged branches at the base
- Branches directed crosswise into the interior unfold
- From too tight or rubbing shoots remove the weaker ones
- Shorten the remaining shoots by one to two thirds
- Optionally cut the bush or crown into a spherical, oval or pyramidal shape
- Apply the sharp, disinfected scissors just above an outward-facing leaf or eye
Cutting off blooms - or not?During the long flowering period from May / June to September, lantana is in a constant state of growth and decay. A single flower lasts only a few weeks before it withers and the next buds unfold. Therefore, flowers are already common in branches from early summer onwards. How you deal with withered flowers is subject to your personal decision. Leave blooms on the shrub and form small, black berries reminiscent of raspberries. If you continuously wilt out withered flowers, your Lantana will preserve its well-groomed appearance and save the energy required for the growth of seed stands. The freed forces invested the ornamental wood in the growth and the plant of other buds and flowers.
Note: Did you know that the dark berries of all Lantana species and varieties are poisonous? If the fruits are intentionally or unintentionally consumed, poisoning symptoms similar to that of belladonna poisoning appear. For the cultivation in the family household lanterns are therefore not suitable. Moreover, the clippings should not be disposed of on the compost if pets or grazing livestock have access.
Cut lanterns in summer - is that possible?
In the sunny, warm location, the exotic Verbena family prove their growth and are rapidly increasing in size. In the small garden or tub, this vitality can lead to space problems. As the vigor goes hand in hand with a robust cut tolerance, you are welcome to reach for the scissors in the middle of the season. Shorten too long shoots until the plant re-embeds harmoniously into the overall impression of the bed and the balcony. Please do not throw away cut-off, flowering branches. Set in a vase of fresh, soft water, you can enjoy many more days of flowering.
Tip: In combination with sunshine, the sap can be phototoxic and cause skin rashes. Therefore, please wear gloves and long-sleeved clothing for cutting work.
Educational cut to the Hochstämmchen - How it worksAre you looking for a high tribe with a round, flower-rich crown? Then the wonderful lantana is the ideal choice for this decorative variant of a container plant. Of course, recreational gardeners do not miss the opportunity to raise a young plant to a high standard. This saves money and brings much joy when the young little plant turns into a floral work of art. Only a little patience is needed, until the flowering wood presents itself in a perfect silhouette. The following instructions explain how to do it:
- Attach the center drive as a future trunk to a support bar
- Remove all other bottom shoots and the side branches
- Do not cut the shoot tip
- Tie the central drive to the bar parallel to the growth
- Consistently cut back competitor and side shoots to the point of approach