The Content Of The Article:
Decorative, easy-care and always fascinating because of the changing flower color - the lavender inspires more and more garden owners. The lush flowering plant, which is native to the southern part of North America and Central America, can grow and multiply with little effort. Those who offer their lantana optimal culture conditions will be able to enjoy a rich flow of flowers from May to October.
LocationIn order for the Lantana to grow well and to develop many flowers, the choice of the right location is important. The following aspects should be considered:
- Optimal is a sunny area in the garden
- Cultivation succeeds with sufficient brightness even in partial shade
- Rain protection is recommended
The Lantana can basically be planted in the open air; However, the plant would then have to be dug up again before the onset of cold weather, since the hibernation must not take place outdoors. It has therefore proved to be useful to make the planting in a pot, since in this way the transport is facilitated in the winter quarters.
groundIn addition to the location of the soil conditions are important to stimulate the flowering of the plant. The substrate used should have the following properties:
- rich in nutrients
- pH value: acid to neutral
- loose properties
- good permeability
Basically, many different plants can be combined with the Lantana, which have similar culture conditions. Nevertheless, it is worth taking into account the decorative aspects of planting. The lantana usually forms first yellow or orange flowers, which turn red or purple over time; Therefore, a combination with flowers, which look visually discreet. Gladly will be advised to a planting with white stonecrop or small, yellow daisies.
to waterIn order to promote the flowering during the warm season, a regular irrigation of Wandelröschens is required; However, it is important to pay attention to a proper casting behavior:
- even supply of water
- Keep water portions as small as possible
- rainwater is most suitable (sensitivity to calcium)
- even stale water can be used
- Potting soil should always remain evenly moist
- Waterlogging is essential to avoid
FertilizeSince the Lantana forms numerous colorful flowers, the plant needs many nutrients. These are to be issued as soon as the plant is moved to the field after the cold season and the leaves have formed after the pruning. However, at the beginning of the growing season it is sufficient to fertilize once a month. Only when the first bloom approaches, the dose can be increased; then the lantana needs the vital nutrients every two weeks.
With regard to the optimal fertilizer product and the targeted application, the following aspects are also important:
- Basically, a commercially available liquid fertilizer is suitable
- For mineral fertilizer, the dosage must not be exceeded
- Natural fertilizer can also be used
- Fertilization takes place until late summer
- From September, the fertilizer-free phases will become longer again
repottingThe care also includes the regular control of the pot size; For this purpose, the drain hole of the plant vessel is inspected; If roots are already growing from this opening, the lantana is ready to be transplanted into a larger pot. However, the successor pot should only be one size larger; otherwise there is a risk that more roots will be formed at the expense of the leaf mass. When repotting a lot of instinct is required: Under no circumstances may the tender root ends are injured!
At the beginning of sprouting, the Lantana receives a care cut, in which the shoots are greatly reduced; the plant produces lush flower growth only in young shoots, while older shoots develop only a few flowers.
When cutting the hobby gardener should pay attention to certain points:
- Shoots can be halved or even shortened to one third
- The extent of the pruning depends on season and growth
- Pruning is possible up to maximum hand width
- When cutting, gloves must be worn due to the toxicity of the plant
- Disposal must be carried out in such a way that skin contact is no longer possible
overwinterMaintaining the Wandelröschens is after a successful flowering season, especially a very prudent wintering. The plant, which is located in warm and sunny areas, is already experiencing serious difficulties in the autumn. Therefore: If cold nights are already predicted in autumn, the plant must be brought into the house in any case. Latest at minus temperatures, the move to winter quarters is then finally indicated. The Lantana spends the cold season under the following conditions:
- at temperatures between 5 and 10 degrees Celcius
- in a bright location
- Pouring is sparing
- only dehydration is to be avoided
- There is no fertilization
Note: During the cold season, the lantana is set for hibernation. Already from the first early spring - usually in mid-February - the Lantana should then receive a warmer interim quarters, so that the metabolism can be gradually raised.
Lantans are very easy to propagate and spread very quickly. For selective propagation usually cuttings are used, which receives the hobby gardener from the spring section. When cutting a cuttings the following aspects should be considered:
- The starting material is annual shoots
- The cut is made on a healthy piece from the end of the shoot
- The selected cuttings should already be slightly woody
- The optimal cutting size is 10cm
- The lower end is shortened so that it ends just below the leaf pair
- Remove the two lower leaves, shoot tips and flowering stems
For the cultivation of the cutting is inserted to two inches under the first pair of leaves in a pot that is filled with potting soil. If the stems have a very soft consistency, it is important to prick a plant hole first. This works best with a Pikierholz. After plugging the shoot, carefully press the earth with your fingers.
Afterwards it is important to keep the cuttings well moistured; this works best when the pots are covered with foil. The first roots will develop after about two weeks.
Alternatively, the rooting of the shoots in the water glass works; Soft rainwater is best used for this purpose, which is changed every few days. The best results are achieved when an opaque vessel is used.
Note: Who rooted the shoots with the water glass method, should know that here the failure rate is higher!
Incidentally, as an alternative to propagating cuttings, lizards may also be reproduced by selective sowing. Those who win the seeds of their own hybrids, however, must be prepared for the fact that the plants obtained from them will not be sorted; For example, it is possible for other color compositions to be formed.
Lantans are attacked by pests mainly in the cold season; The winter quarters offer unusual conditions for the plants that live in warm areas. Above all, the dry air during the winter months can lead to an infestation with aphids. If the plant is affected, it shows the following symptoms:
- small, green lice on the undersides of the leaves
- white lice eggs on the leaves
- sticky film on the leaves (honeydew excretion)
Among the known pests is the white fly, which is best combated with parasitic wasps. In an infestation, it is important to act quickly, so that the plant is not sustainably damaged; especially during the cold season, it may be very difficult for lavender to regenerate.
Those who pay attention to optimal conditions, especially in winter, and who carefully care for the lavender will be able to enjoy many colorful flowers again in the following year.