The Content Of The Article:
Those who take the trouble to grow vegetables in their own garden, of course, likes to choose varieties that are clearly superior to the purchased goods in taste. This is the case with tomatoes, the garden tomato has a much more intense flavor than the tomato from the supermarket. Therefore, tomato is one of the most popular vegetables in our gardens, even if cultivation and care require some care.
Cherry tomatoes bring maximum flavor
The small cherry tomatoes are true aroma miracles, here concentrate the whole tomato taste in a small round fruit of about 2 cm in diameter. The cherry tomato grows in grapes, so can always be harvested several fruits. Unless you have children who like to pick cherry tomatoes directly from the bush. Here, the person who does the laundry in the household can look forward to it: Cherry tomatoes fit into the mouth of the child as a whole and almost never cause annoying tomato stains.
Own sowing of tomato plants
- The tomatoes, which are native to tropical regions, do not like cold and certainly no frost. However, since sowing to harvest takes about five months, small tomato plants must be grown in heated rooms.
- If you have a very bright but not too warm room, you can start breeding in March. Then you have a good chance to have used strong plants until the planting season, which are not too high shot. Exactly this shooting often thwarts the rearing attempt on the windowsill: the small tomatoes are too warm here, and they get too little light, so weak plants emerge, which desperately reach out to the light and have to fight even later.
- For the rearing of seeds, pots are filled with particularly germ-free potting soil. You should sprinkle the seeds well distributed on the soil, then cover with a little soil and then pour lightly. The seeds should not be spread too tightly, the light seeds can be well portioned with a paper trough, which is created by simple folding. Now the pots are covered with foil until the first seedlings show up. These need a lot of light and a regular careful water supply.
- If you have sown a bit too dense, you can remove the weaker plants when the space is tight. The remaining plants develop after the cotyledons now further pairs of leaves, as soon as it is too narrow in the cultivation pot, pull the plants in single pots (10 cm) with compost soil.
- If you do not have the space to grow your own, you can buy pre-grown plants in mid-May. They are cheap on the market or offered to the local gardener, today often the popular cherry tomatoes. Watch for vigorous young plants with dark green leaves.
- Purchased or self-grown seedlings are now set outdoors. The tomatoes need a humus rich and loose soil in a warm sheltered place. They should not be planted too densely so that the sun always reaches the ground, the roots should get any available heat. Cherry tomatoes are up to 75 cm high and therefore need a support, you should use a wooden stick right at the planting, with later insertion you could damage the roots. After planting, the tomatoes are well watered, and in the following years they always need sufficient and very even water, but should never form waterlogging. As a rule, watering once or twice a week suffices. It is important to only put the water on the ground, any moisture on the leaves could cause cabbage and brown rot.
In contrast to other tomato plants cherry tomatoes are not de-aerated, all side shoots may thus grow. As the plant grows larger, it is gently tied to the wand. To produce fruits, tomatoes need a lot of nutrients, so regular fertilization is important. For this you can use special tomato fertilizer, with this finished fertilizer you should pay attention to the dosage instructions, because the quality suffers from over-fertilization. In addition, the plants are susceptible to disease, soil and water are also burdened by the excess nutrients. You can see an oversupply of nitrogen from a very dark leaf color. An undersupply is noticeable by very light leaves, but it can certainly be used deliberately if you want to promote the flowering or move the harvest forward. If you mulch or cover the tomato plants with grass clippings, prevent the late blight. You can also fertilize with compost, 3 to 4 liters per square meter usually optimally meet the nutritional requirements.
You can usually harvest from July to the end of October. Be sure to pick the tomatoes carefully with the stalk.Descendants who are still green towards the end of the season can be wrapped in paper and ripen in a dark place.
- If the tomatoes dry out alternately and are poured too well, they will acknowledge this with the bursting of the fruit. You can ensure even moisture in the soil by burying clay pots in the soil next to the tomato plants into which you give the irrigation water.
- This also prevents the lower leaves from being poured, which could cause late blight.
If you love intense tomato taste, you should definitely try the cultivation of wild tomatoes. These unpretentious tomatoes also produce only small fruits, but are so robust that they still bear fruit in very unfavorable situations.