The Content Of The Article:
- cockroach infestation
- Can cockroaches fly?
- Is cockroach infestation notifiable?
Cockroaches are a disgusting vermin that can spread like an invasion in the household. They are also referred to as cockroaches, avoid the light and are predominantly active in the dark. The animals are infectious and transmit diseases, especially their excrements endanger human health. If it comes to a cockroach infestation, then fast action is announced, in order to fight the vermin. Who pays attention to a continuous hygiene in the kitchen and in the bathroom, offers the pests no livelihood.
cockroach infestationCockroaches are attracted to kitchen waste and scraps of food. The pests can spread through utility shafts in their own homes, especially if there is a hospitality business in the neighborhood. In addition, cockroaches find their way into the home with the help of packaging materials and groceries from the supermarket. The vermin can also be introduced by used furniture and electrical appliances. Furthermore, cockroaches like to hide in holiday and travel luggage and get in this way in the new home. They feed mainly on food scraps, but also materials such as wood, leather, paper, cardboard and textiles can serve as a livelihood. For this reason, cockroaches can settle anywhere in living and working spaces and multiply there.
- Prefer dark rooms, such as cellars and garages
- Spread quickly in damp and warm kitchens, bathrooms and washrooms
- Transfer dangerous germs
- Possible pathogens: cholera, yellow fever, hepatitis, gastrointestinal influenza and tuberculosis
- Produce parasites, salmonella and worms
- Often, allergies, asthma and eczema in affected individuals are exacerbated
- Lay even in the death struggle from new eggs
- Eggs tolerate no great heat and no low minus degrees
RecognizeSince the pests usually come out of their hiding places only in the dark, a cockroach infestation is difficult to recognize in the beginning. In addition, the cockroaches move very fast and nimble. If the vermin is spotted in the daytime in the bright, then the stock has been extremely enlarged and there is an immediate need for action. The pests preferably spread in hard to reach areas. Especially in the kitchen, food remains accumulate there and offer the cockroaches an ideal basis for life. However, there is some evidence that the household of cockroaches is affected, even if the vermin is not yet visible.
- Flat and oval body is either dark or light brown colored
- At the head are two long and narrow antennae
- Cockroaches can grow up to several centimeters tall
- Active in the dark, therefore infestation is often not recognized in time
- Check periodically possible hiding places
- Find shelter in cracks and joints
- Hide behind and under furniture
- Erect feeding damage to food and packaging
- Infestation is expressed by sweet and musty odor
- Build up adhesive traps, which are left with isolated cockroaches
FightIf cockroaches settle in the living areas, then the vermin is to be tackled immediately. Otherwise, it explodes and can infect the inhabitants with diseases and parasites. The fight against cockroaches should be done with a lot of patience, thoroughness and regularity. These have a lifespan of 100-200 days, while a female can lay several hundred eggs. As a rule, the cockroaches are not completely destroyed in a single control action.
For this reason, all affected areas should be thoroughly cleaned and the antidotes designed for a longer period of time. In this phase, progress can be monitored with sticky traps, which also helps to verify the effectiveness of the funds. Only when no cockroaches stick to the traps after a few months, the fight was actually successful. If none of the funds help then professional help should be sought.
- Remove livelihoods for the pests
- Store supplies safely and airtight
- Remove leftovers completely and never leave them for longer
- Thoroughly clean all affected areas several times
- Teach and clean trash can daily
- First use natural remedies for cockroaches
- These include borax, boric acid, fossil plankton, kieselguhr and pyrethrum
- Apply where the pests like to stay
- Use different means at the same time to increase effectiveness
cleaningMost homeowners clean the rooms only superficially so food remains and other edible materials can accumulate in remote areas. Therefore, in addition to a basic cleaning of all surfaces, a deeper cleaning of hard to reach areas is required. Since cockroaches do not tolerate much heat, hot water is very useful when cleaning.
- Use hot water, with temperatures above 60° C
- Optimal is the use of a steam cleaner
- Thoroughly clean hidden corners
- Under, behind and on kitchen cabinets and furniture clean
- Disinfect floors and kitchen appliances
- Remove visible residues of cocoons, excreta and egg packets with a vacuum cleaner
- Then immediately dispose of the vacuum cleaner bag outside the apartment
- After cooking, clean up the kitchen immediately
- Disinfect used work surfaces
- Do not leave food left lying around
- Safely seal food
- Check purchases for brought cockroaches
- Dispose used packaging immediately
- Check your suitcases and bags on holiday, check your home again
- Hide wells such as gaps, joints and cracks
- Use a dustbin with a well-closed lid
- Dispose of kitchen waste and other waste daily
Can cockroaches fly?To the horror of many house dwellers cockroaches can actually fly, but only the female animals. In this way, they can escape in dangerous situations and ensure continued survival and reproduction. Although the male animals have stunted wings, they are usually unable to use them for a proper flight. In the larvae of this vermin are still no wings formed.
- Wings only develop in adult animals
- Have two pairs of membranous wings on the body, fine hind and leathery top wings
- Due to the height and weight more gliding takes place
- Since cockroaches can move quickly, this method of locomotion is preferred
- Often the ability to fly develops only at very high temperatures
Is cockroach infestation notifiable?
Whether a cockroach infestation is notifiable at the regulatory office depends on the type and extent. If it is a major infestation in a private building, the landlord must first be notified. He must hire a professional exterminator to combat the vermin in case of an extremely high prevalence. In the case of a cockroach infestation in the hospitality industry, there is a legal obligation to notify due to the health hazard posed by the pests.
- Fighting the pests is generally the job of the landlord or property owner
- Either preparations have to be laid out on their own or have an exterminator assigned to them
- If the responsible persons do not act, the public order office is to be informed
A cockroach infestation can even occur in clean households, if the owner tows the vermin from the outside. In addition, cockroaches can pass through supply and ventilation shafts into living spaces when they are located near gastronomically managed locations. This insect species arouses in most people a strong feeling of disgust, and not wrongly. In addition to an unpleasant, external appearance, the pests transmit many diseases and parasites. Especially their excrements endanger the health of young children and old or already ill persons. In the initial stage, the vermin can be controlled by natural means. Important is the prevention by thorough and regular cleaning actions. In addition, food and leftovers should not be left open. If there is a large cockroach infestation, it should be reported to the property manager or owner. In hardship, only a skilled exterminator can provide long-term relief. If the competent authorities do not take care of the plague, then there is a duty to report to the respective public order office.