The Content Of The Article:
- Location and sowing
- Necessary measures for growth and care
- Wintering and propagation through leaf cuttings
- Ice begonia as a houseplant
- buying Tips
- Worth knowing soon
In the vernacular, the Eisbegonie is known as Gottesauge or Schiefblatt.
characteristicsThe Ice Begonia is an annual plant. The petite flowers are unfilled and found in white and many reds. Rarely are filled or bicoloured flowers. The flowers grow in clusters, have a short style and rise above the dark leaves. Some varieties show green leaves, while other varieties are noticeable by dark foliage. The shape of the leaves is egg-shaped. Leaves and stems are meaty and break easily. Ice begonias grow up to between 20 and 40 cm. They grow bushy with many shoots, but not sprawling.
The flower is a popular plant for the cemetery, as its growth remains in the frame. In addition, it is very easy to care for and grows almost everywhere. The bushy flowering plant finds a place on the balcony box and in traffic lights. In the bed, ice begonias create a permanent carpet of flowers over many months. With different colored varieties, geometric patterns can be achieved in the bed. The flowering plants are suitable for planting of tall flowers and high stems. Due to the abundance of flowers, ice begonias are often used for bordering plants or as filling plants in public areas.
Location and sowingThe plant needs a sunny to half shady location. The more sun the ice Begonia gets, the more it blooms. Full sun or full shade will be detrimental to blistering. Ice begonias like a humus-rich soil, which can be loosened up with peat before planting. When waterlogged, the roots of the plants rot.
Ice begonias can be bought in the spring as young plants in the trade or self-seeded. The sowing is tedious and should start already in January to beginning of February. Ice begonias are light germs. The seeds are not covered with soil, but only pressed firmly. If the individual seeds are laid out at a distance of 5 x 5 cm, then the spiking of the young plants is eliminated. The germination period is between 10 and 14 days at a temperature of around 20° C. The sowing can take place in a room greenhouse, because the young plants need constant humidity and constant temperatures as well as a lot of light. After the ice saints in mid-May, ice begonias can move outdoors. The planting distance is then 15 to 20 cm.
Necessary measures for growth and care
- The Eisbegonie is very robust and easy to clean.
- The soil should be moist but not dripping wet. Waterlogging and dryness do not tolerate ice begonias.
- From time to time the plants should be watered with commercial liquid fertilizer. Ice begonias in the bed are mulched.
- If there is no fertilizer, the leaves turn pale green.
- Saline fertilizer may only be used sparingly.
- A pruning is not necessary. Bloomed flowers are dropped by themselves.
- If the flower is still cut back after the first flower, then the formation of new shoots is stimulated.
- Plants in the bed are dig up in the autumn and composted.
Wintering and propagation through leaf cuttingsWhen icy begonia, also known as "evergrowing begonias," are cut back in the plant pot to a residual length of five centimeters, they drift off again in the spring. In winter you need a bright place at 15° C to 20° C. In damp soil and without fertilizer, the ice begonias come well over the winter. For propagation, individual leaves and longer shoots are suitable. Since not all grow, many cuttings should be planted. The soil in the seed pot must be kept evenly moist.
Wet and cold cause decay. Occasionally, powdery mildew occurs. In case of powdery mildew, the affected leaves are removed and the plant is treated with a fungicide. Against vermin ice begonia is very resistant.
Ice begonia as a houseplantThe delicate flowering plant prefers bright rooms with a sunny to partially shaded location. The small-flowered plants also tolerate blazing sun. Cool temperatures, in winter around 15° C, say ice begonia. Ball dryness and waterlogging should also be avoided in houseplants. The ice begonias in the room bloom for several years in a row. They are suitable for a direct location at the window or as a table decoration in a planted shell. On a cabinet in a bright interior, the Eisbegonie feels comfortable. As a houseplant the Begoniaart convinces by its filigree growth form and the dense flower decoration in glad colors.
buying TipsOnly buy plants that already have a flower open. So you can recognize the future flower color of begonia. The growth of the plant should be low and densely branched. Heaped plants should be avoided.Another sign of improper rearing is yellowing leaves due to too dark location and lack of nutrients. These plants will not recover, but later show a meager growth.
Worth knowing soon
- Height: 20 to 40 cm
- Planting distance: 20 to 25 cm
- Flowering time: from early summer to the first frosts
- Soil: nutritious, moist, well drained
- Location: sunny to partially shaded
- can be cultivated one-year old
- 'Coco Mixed' shows multi-colored flowers and bronze-colored leaves.
- 'Cocktail' Flowers in white, salmon red, pink and red and drifts bronze leaves.
- 'Danica Red' adorned with brick-red flowers and shiny bronze foliage.
- 'Devon Gems' is characterized by red, pink and white flowers. The leaves of this variety are brown, bronze or green colored.