The Content Of The Article:
The Elfenspiegel is a plant that has its home in southern Africa. Accordingly, their claim to the outside temperatures as well as the location itself. In the genus it belongs to the so-called pharynx. The plant is basically one year old, but can also be wintered on request.
The plant has not been present for a very long time in the German market but is very popular as a true flowering wonder. The plants with their umbels in orange, yellow, white or red look particularly good in flower boxes on the balcony. By the way, the somewhat more demanding plant thanks a good and species-appropriate care with a very abundant abundance of flowers reaching into the autumn.
Location for wing mirrors
So that the Elfenspiegel develops optimally and shows perfect flower formation, it needs normal garden earth, which should however necessarily have a pH value of 6.5. As a location, the plant appreciates a sunny and warm place, as it knows it from their native climes. It is important to protect the Elfenspiegel from draft, because it reacts extremely sensitive. Because the plant originates from warm climes, it should not necessarily be exposed to temperatures below 13° C to 15° C. This is especially important in spring when the nights are still very cool. If the elf mirror is exposed to cooler temperatures, this has a negative effect on the growth of the plant. Basically, you can count on the Elfenspiegel with a large abundance of flowers that lasts from May or June to August. It is beneficial to cut back the plant after the first flowering, because it can provide after-flowering, which then remain until the fall into it. A bright and full sun as well as warm location is ideal for the flower development at Elfenspiegel. Draft is absolutely to be avoided.
The most important needs of the Elfenspiegel at a glance:
- Earth with an acid value of pH 6.5
- Temperatures above 13° C to 15° C
- regular pruning for lush and long flowering
- Protection against drafts
- ideally a bright and sunny spot
Important for the Elfenspiegel is a rich irrigation. Lime-free and tempered water is particularly favorable for watering the plant. The plant also appreciates very frequent spraying with water, which in this case should also be filtered. Waterlogging, on the other hand, is not tolerated by the Elfenspiegel at all. For nutrient intake, a light compost fertilization is recommended.
Propagation and sowing of the Elfenspiegel
Sowing of the plant takes place between February and April under glass inside the rooms. If you wait until the end of April with the sowing, then this can be done immediately in the open air. The germination of the plant is about two to three weeks, with a constant temperature of 12 to 16° C should already be given. After germination, the plant needs a temperature of about 12° C and low humidity so that it can be cultivated further. Once the plant is in place, you can harvest the seed for the next year from the plant itself and then store it dry and dark and airy.
Care of the elf mirror
The Elfenspiegel must be supplied with filtered water depending on the weather. A commercial water filter is the ideal solution to provide the Elfenspiegel with compatible water. The fertilization of the plant should be done weekly. It is important that the plant is thoroughly watered, but that it never gets wet. The spraying of the plant should be done regularly and only with tempered and lime-free, filtered water. Shortly after flowering, the plant should be cut back, also get further fertilization, so that they then shows a second time extensive flowers. By the way, it is very pleasant that snails usually avoid the Elfenspiegel.
The Elfenspiegel come to good:
- heavily filtered water, preferably from the water filter
- weekly fertilization
- thorough watering without waterlogging
- Regular spraying with tempered, lime-free and filtered water
In general, it is the Elfenspiegel, which is also botanically referred to as Nemesia, an annual plant. Nevertheless, one can of course try to overwinter the plant. For this purpose, the plant should be cut back strongly before wintering. The demands on the wintering place go that he should be very bright once before. The cellar is thus eliminated as a wintering place for the Elfenspiegel. Furthermore, the plant needs a maximum temperature of at most 10° C. Finally, it is also important that the wintering place is dry.If all these conditions are fulfilled, the wintering can be successful.
The problem with the hibernation of the plant that the purchased specimens are supplied with so-called shrubbery, as inhibitors that prevent the extremely strong growth. This can significantly affect the growth during the strong pruning next spring. The second problem of hibernation is that they react very sensitive to humidity in winter, and thus also to moisture formation in the substrate. In the event of intense moisture, this can ultimately lead to the plant not surviving the winter.
For overwintering needed the Elfenspiegel
- a bright location
- a previous strong pruning
- an ideal temperature of 10° C
- an absolutely dry location
The Elfenspiegel is a very beautiful and especially lush flowering plant from May / June to August. If you cut back the plants after the first flowering, you reach a post-flowering into the autumn. The flower spikes can be 25 to 60 cm long. To achieve these successes, the demands on care and location must be taken into account. Even in hibernation the Elfenspiegel needs a lot of tact.
- The origin of the Elfenspiegel lies in southern Africa. He belongs to the family of the throat-daisies.
- The one-year-old plant has not been around for a very long time in the German market. She is a true flower wonder.
- The white, yellow, orange or red umbels look good in every balcony box.
- There are numerous varieties: Dwarf-grown specimens form dense floral pads.
- Bushy growing on the other hand attract attention because of their large, funnel-shaped flowers.
- The plants grow very fast and easy to round, rich blooming flower balls zoom.
- The Elfenspiegel prefers normal garden soil, if possible with a pH of 6.5.
- The location should be sunny and warm.
- The Elfenspiegel must be protected from drafts, yet the plant needs plenty of fresh air.
- Night temperatures below 13 to 15° C have a negative effect on the growth of the plants.
- The Elfenspiegel needs plenty of water. If possible, lime-free, tempered water should be used for casting.
- Also for regular spraying of the plants only filtered water should be used. Waterlogging is not tolerated.
- A light compost fertilization is recommended. Temperatures above 18° C limit the flowering ability.
- Between February and April is sown under glass. From the end of April can be sown outdoors.
- The germination time is 2 to 3 weeks, ideal germination temperatures are 13 to 16° C.
- Then cultivate below 12° C and with little moisture.
- Seeds can also be obtained from your own plants. You only have to harvest the ripe seeds from your plants in autumn.