The Content Of The Article:
Native woody plants are ideal for a so-called natural garden. The coexistence of native plants, many garden owners find pleasant. In addition, the natural gardens can do a lot for the conservation of birds, small mammals and insects. Native shrubs are considered as ideal bird protection and avifauna shrubs.
Spread evergreen groves in our gardens
Evergreen trees set color splashes in winter. In the long, dreary months, they bring color to the garden and breathe life into it. Of course, our coniferous trees, with the exception of the larch, are among the classic evergreen shrubs. But there are also many foliage-bearing evergreen trees. These include:
- The Fruiting Garden Pod also called Holly (Ilex aquifolium),
- the Yellow-Colored Garden Pod (Ilex x altaclarensis Golden King),
- the fruiting shrub husk (Ilex meservae 'Blue Princess'),
- Gold Privet (Ligustrum ovalifolium 'Aureum'),
- the red whole leaf (Photinia fraseri 'Red Robin'),
- the laurel cherry (Prunus laurocecerasus-Sorts),
- the firethorn (Pyracantha-Sorts),
- most bamboo varieties and some more.
- Hanging Rock Pear (Amelanchier laevis 'Ballerina') - blooms from April to May, has a particularly beautiful autumn color and the berries can be used for snacking, as a substitute for currants, jam and for birds
- Cornelian cherry (Cornus mas) - blooms abundantly and beautifully from March to April, the fruits can be used for jam, jam, jelly, juices and birds
- Fruit-sea-buckthornHippophaerhamnoidesVarieties) - suitable for jelly, juices, jams and birds
- Butterfly shrub (Buddleja davidiiVarieties) - the various varieties bloom from July to October in many colors and attract large numbers of butterflies. They look particularly beautiful when you plant different colors together, which results in a large shrub that flowers in many colors.
- Elderberry (Sambucus-Sorts) - blooms depending on the variety from April to August with a pleasant smell, from the berries you can make soup, juices, jam, jelly and syrup. Even birds like the berries. Raw they must not be consumed!
- Winter Blossom (Chimonanthus praecox) - blooms from December to February and smells of vanilla. A highlight for the wintry garden.
Woods are important elements of garden design
"Woody" refers to plants that age for several years and lignify during growth, thus forming cell structures that are of some stability and durability. In addition to the woody plants, only the perennials are available for planting, which will grace your garden for a long time. The trees, ie long-lasting trees and shrubs, have a significant impact on how much of your time you spend on gardening and how often you can enjoy the garden just for recreation. For if you have chosen the trees and shrubs for your garden once cleverly and planted, the whole care effort is limited to occasional trimming and otherwise maybe on the harvest of fruits, which then but again to the really enjoyable works.
So it is not difficult to understand why the woody plants have always been among the most important basic elements of a garden. As a rule, they are the first plants that are inserted in the planning of a planting. The woody plants deserve this primacy, because they are the ones that give the entire garden structure, set the concise points of view and define the lines of the main paths. In every garden culture the trees played an important role, whether it was the ancient gardens of the first civilizations, the gardens of medieval monks or modern landscape gardens.
Native woody plants - meaningful and easy to care for
Each garden culture has also favored the native woody plants whose ecological importance was recognized early on and cultivated in the network of the entire environment.Today, their value tends to increase - where more and more people live in an environment with exclusively designed green, in any case, completely new plant communities.
In the cities, for example, there are completely new efforts to provide the city dweller with an environment in which he does not have to do without plants, because surrounding nature is one of the basic conditions for a happy life for many people. There is a lot of experimentation, in addition to small parks and green backyards with planted roof gardens or the plant of vertical beds for self-supply from the balcony, these are all no growth areas and conditions where people can fall back on long experience.
The formation of such new plant communities should then not be complicated by the interference of plants that are not really well suited for our climate. In addition, here again shows an advantage of the native woody, this time when looking at the word "at home": What belongs here, likes to grow here (usually even in a partially changed environment), and without much care, in contrast to the exotics.
Softwoods and exotic evergreens - exercise restraint
Even though you will hardly be aware of it, the softwoods are usually only our guests, the majority of the "green pillars" in our gardens were imported from foreign regions. As well as many evergreen shrubs, which develop naturally, especially in the tropics and in the subtropics, where they are all year round nutrients available.
With the consequence that with the "evergreen" is not always true, because these evergreen plants with our climatic conditions at most in the tub cope and just freeze in the garden. This can z. B. with the above-mentioned butterfly shrub, which is actually native to China and Tibet, where he hardly has to endure low temperatures. Although he has been living in Europe for a long time, where he has even reintroduced himself, he has not completely forgotten his origins. Every winter, when the temperatures drop below minus 20 degrees, he is pretty much destined for it.
Or with the consequence that a garden plant becomes an "ecological sin" because neither birds nor insects can do anything with the extensive conifer stock. For the coniferous trees are not so much the "hit" for our insects and bird species as they are less protected and breeding opportunities and also less food than in deciduous trees. But a lush coniferous stock "sours" but your garden soil well, you may soon be happy about a lot of moss in your lawn.