The Content Of The Article:
An evergreen hedge does not always have to be used only as noise, wind and visual protection. It can also create effective spaces within the garden. As noise, wind and privacy she is allowed to grow up. So it does wonders. If you want to create spaces in the garden, it may be lower. Because it should only emphasize or divide certain areas. Each newly created room is planted individually or topic-related and bathes the whole garden in a new light.
Evergreen hedges are a natural and lively visual, wind and noise protection in every season. During the hibernation, her green dress looks like a promise for the coming spring. In winter, when all deciduous trees and shrubs look drab and bare, the evergreen hedge wins the wintry race for positive moments. And in the spring, the evergreen trees begin to shine with their new shoots.
Conifers and conifers
With the exception of the larch, the conifers and conifers are evergreen. In the popularity scale of garden owners they are high up. Many evergreen trees are suitable for hedge planting.
- Tree of Life (Thuja)
- Leyland Cypress
- columnar juniper
Evergreen deciduous shrubs
- cherry laurel
The best time to plant an evergreen hedge is autumn. The plants can still get used to the new location before the first frosts come. If the winter is very dry, you should not forget to water on frost-free days. Since evergreen plants evaporate water even in cold weather, the trees wither or take large, sometimes even irreparable damage.
Evergreen and poisonous
Woody plants such as hawthorn, cherry laurel, yew, thuja or boxwood are among the most popular hedge plants.But in the location selection, one should exercise caution. Leaves, seeds and fruits have toxic components. These ingredients are especially poisonous for children, animals and some adults.
Evergreen hedges can be cut twice a year. Suitable is a cut in the spring, before the plants drive out, and in autumn, before the first frost. This promotes a particularly dense growth. It should be noted that hedge cuts between March and October are prohibited, so that breeding birds are not disturbed. However, light cuts can be made year-round. For a hedgecut, a covered day offers the best conditions. On a hot day, the interfaces turn brown, on wet days there is a risk of fungal attack. In order not to crush the shoots, the hedge trimmer should be sharp.
Worth knowing about evergreen hedges shortly
Understandably, everyone wants quick visibility and wind protection through their hedge, making them easy to grow. Nevertheless, a regular cut is necessary so that the hedge does not get out of shape and become too high or too wide. It takes a lot of work to get an oversized hedge back into shape and a lot of plant waste has to be disposed of. Therefore, the pros and cons of each species should be considered for each site. This guarantees years of enjoyment of a beautiful and evergreen hedge.
- Ideal are Thuja and cherry laurel, The plants are easy to care for, can cope with almost any location and soil conditions, grow quickly and are very cut compatible. Also priced you do not have to be so deep in the bag.
- Also Eiben are well suited. They also cope with almost any soil and can be cropped well. In the purchase, but they are quite expensive and the plants are poisonous in many parts, so not suitable if you have children. The red berries invite you to snack. Also Thujen and cherry laurel plants are poisonous.
- cypress and cypresses are similar to thuja plants. They also grow similarly fast and can be cropped well. There are many varieties to choose from. Before buying, you should be well advised on the individual varieties.
- bamboo is also a nice privacy. When selecting varieties, one must first of all pay attention to whether they are rhizome-forming varieties (horstig growing), for which one has decided. Then it is essential to have a root barrier when planting, otherwise the plants spread out spookily and can become a real plague.
- ilex in columnar form has the advantage that it can be used to build hedges where space is limited. The plants are going up, but they are totally slim. However, they grow slowly and are therefore quite expensive in the purchase price, one chooses larger, over one meter high copies. But there are sometimes good offers from gardeners on the Internet, often for self-collectors. The plants look very noble.
- The Ilexform, also called holly is also easy to care for and works well with any soil and almost any location. It also grows in total shade. Bright sun is not that ideal. You can cut them well and through the spines, it is almost impenetrable. Who wants to plant the flowers and fruits (berries), must select female specimens.