The Content Of The Article:
You do not have to travel to the Orient to harvest sweet figs. Under certain conditions, the fruit can be bred and grown in local latitudes. The fig tree (Ficus carica) needs a permeable and loamy soil. The location should be sunny and sheltered from the wind. Under direct sunlight, the plant feels particularly well. That can happen in buckets. Attention should be paid to the regular moistening of the tree. The Ficus carica is one of the useful plants and can be a tree or a shrub. There are about 1000 species that have an evergreen appearance. He belongs to the mulberry trees.
Paradise fruit in local width crops and cut
The fig tree can reach a height of up to 8 m. The leaves are 30 cm tall and finger-like. In order to enjoy the sweet and fresh figs, the plant should be in a sunny spot, the direct sunlight is optimal for it. A cut of the tree should be made to build a permeable scaffold. Because of the large leaves, the shadows may become too large and affect the crowns. But you should be sparing with the cut, if it is cut more, the more drives out the plant and the fruiting goes back. If the tree is in the field, all dense or frost-damaged branches should be cut in spring. It should be paid attention to a bud or a branch. A total pruning is indicated for the tree, which is totally bare inside. This happens after five to six years. Likewise, the container plant has a pruning, the younger plant is often cut or trimmed, so as to effect a strong structure.
The location is important in the fig tree
The tree should be in loamy, well drained soil and the soil should be calcareous. Especially in autumn, the plant needs a lot of sun. It can also flourish well in the areas with a so-called wine-growing climate. The planting should happen in spring. In winter, the soil should not be too wet, as the roots can rot. Also a drainage is optimal. The location of the plant should be very sunny and the soil should not be too moist. As a container plants or in protected outdoor areas, the tree is particularly fond of. If the temperature drops below 10 degrees, parts of the plant may freeze. The formation of sun is important because otherwise the fruit can not develop properly. Besides, the sun is important for the wood. Planting on a bright south wall is ideal. Not only the sun is important, also the wind protection should be given. The wind can lead to a cooling down to the wood and thus the water consumption is increased. So you should provide young plants with a mulch layer, so the plant survives a mild winter easily. In the house, the tree can overwinter. It tolerates cold and can easily survive winter in unheated rooms and low light. If the fig tree remains in the bucket, it should be wrapped with bubble wrap and the plant should be placed close to the house. In addition, it can still be protected with a bamboo mat. Also on the moisture should be paid in winter, since the water can evaporate in the cold months. In the spring, the tree should be brought back to the open as early as possible when it has wintered in the house.
- The fig tree needs a lot of sun with direct sunlight
- Nevertheless, he likes to have a sheltered position
- humus rich and nutrient-rich soil is ideal
- Keep the plant moist, but never wet
- In summer, when the tree is full of foliage, plenty should be poured
- Fertilization should take place from May to the end of August every fortnight
- high nutritional requirement with complete fertilizer
- the healthy fig tree, needs a lot of fresh air
- multiply the plant, just put the cuttings in the ground and keep them moist
If the fig tree has found its right location, it can be harvested from August. The figs should be harvested when fully ripe. They should yield to pressure. Since the figs do not have a long shelf life, recovery opportunities should be given if you want to use the fruits. Because the tree can grow up to 5m, it is not for small gardens unless it is cut back regularly.
The fig tree needs a sunny location and sufficient nutrients as well as water. When choosing the plant should be paid attention to frost hardiness. It should be planted in a sheltered location in the spring. Fertilization should be completed by the end of July, otherwise the tree will be too big. For the hibernation, the fig should no longer have leaves. If this has not thrown off the foliage, then you should help a bit.
Tips on the fig tree
- In a leafless state, it is reasonably frost-resistant.However, he does not tolerate early and late frost at all. In Germany, it can only be hibernated outside in a few areas, especially in winegrowing areas. In winter, cover the soil and the lower trunk area to a height of about 50 cm with a thick mulch layer.
- in summer the fig tree needs a lot of sun. However, young plants should be protected from blazing sunlight. Older plants, on the other hand, can not get enough sun. Even in winter, the fig should be as bright as possible. The wintering should take place at more than 10 degrees Celsius. Outdoor wintered fig trees, which have frozen to the ground, often erupt from their roots.
- The fig trees are increasingly being grown over cuttings. From seeds you can only pull the wild form. Commercially available trees are usually grafted or pulled over cuttings.
- Seeds can be obtained from a ripe fruit, which you get in the fruit and vegetable trade. With a spoon you can take pulp and smear it on a piece of kitchen paper. After everything has dried, you can scrape off the seeds.
- These can be planted in a pot. After about 2 to 4 weeks they should germinate. The time depends on the soil temperature. It is important to use nutrient-poor soil for cultivation, only then can the roots develop well. The pH should not exceed 7. The safest method is to use special seed soil, which is germ-free.
- If you want to harvest fruits from your fig tree, you must ensure that the roots of the tree can not spread excessively. It is best to fill the ground with gravel and the side edges of the plant hole with impermeable material such as sidewalk boundary plates. Only then does the tree not put its strength into wood and leaves. The best planting time is the spring.