The Content Of The Article:
They can be cured by natural means and also by chemical means, as needed. It is important that the biological balance is not interfered too much. That can bring a whole pond to the tilting of the water and that should absolutely be prevented.
Short profile to the thread algae
- Langfädige green algae
- Many different types
- Long, thin threads, up to 20 cm
- Cobweb-like appearance
- Upholstered as a cushion
- Full coverage
One reason for algae growth is phosphate. This can get into the pond in different ways. Grow algae in the water, one can assume that there is too much phosphate in it. There are agents that bind this phosphate. Algae can thrive much worse.
- Fish food - serves as a binder and is contained in different concentrations. The cheapest feeds contain most of the phosphate.
- Foliage leaves release a lot of phosphate and should be fished regularly as they cause decay processes
- Dead water plants - dead plant material rots in the water and releases plenty of nutrients for the algae
- Teicherde - is pre-fertilized and contains a lot of phosphate, which lasts for a long time. Better is phosphate-free quartz gravel
- Garden soil - completely unsuitable, rich in phosphates and nitrogen
- Rain - flushes fabrics from around the pond, including fertilizers. Build a pond so that it can not work (capillary barrier)
- Pollen, pollen - consist mainly of phosphate, particularly unfavorable under trees such as birch
- Dying algae - release their stored nutrients back to the pond water
It is recommended to prevent the algae from the beginning. This is to begin already in the planning phase. The pond should be planned large enough so that the water in it can not warm up so quickly. The warmer this is, the better algae will thrive. It is best to plan as much as possible so that the pond can clean itself due to the large amount of water. It is also advisable to create a pond in different stages, a swamp zone, a shallow water and a deep water zone. There should be sufficient water plants are set, which are indispensable for the biological balance. Unfavorable, however, is to plan a pond under deciduous woody plants. Foliage ensures a high nutrient enrichment in the water, which in turn promotes algae growth. Some shade is extremely practical, because the sun also warms up the water and promotes the algae bloom.
Filter systems help to keep the water clear and clean. It does not always have to be electric, filter baskets also do a good job. A circulation pump keeps the water moving, thus supporting the self-cleaning process.
What can be done against filamentous algae?
It is not always necessary to buy expensive supplements, sometimes different measures can help, often in combination. One should know that thread algae also have something good. They are a sign that it is well ordered with the biological quality that the pond is stable. Nevertheless, it is important to remove them regularly. The problem with the algae is that when they die off, they release nitrogen compounds and phosphorus back to the pond water. Already dead algae can be recognized by greenish foam on the water surface.
- Scour the algae regularly with a landing net
- Alternatively, a stable branch can be used around which the algae are simply wound by turning
- There are very good reviews for the so-called algae witch (also called Teichhexe) maw-teichtechnik.de/1188.html
- From mid-April to fish two to three times a week
- Every three to four weeks in June and July
- Algae are useful on the compost
Apart from fishing for algae, one should be concerned with water quality. After the death of the algae, the pond can tip over. Important for the balance is the carbon hardness. She should always be under 8. To determine the hardness, one liter of pond water is needed for a water analysis. It is important to close the container under water, so that no air is left. Investigations are carried out in a variety of facilities, such as the Municipal Department of the Environment, the Department of Water Management, hygiene institutes and even pet supplies, if there is an aquarium department. They can cost up to 30 euros, but are sometimes free.
- To adjust the carbon hardness properly, there are different means in the trade. Very good reviews has the company Söll.
- A description of how to change the hardness under: Garden-Landscape.com/gartenteich-teich/gartenteich-pflegen-pflege/karbonathaerte-senken-und-erhoehen.html
Also with the thread algae annihilators there are big differences.Only a few destroy all algae, but most severely damaging the infestation. Unfortunately, there are also many reports that the funds are completely ineffective. Here's just a try. When buying, make sure that the funds are harmless to the other inhabitants of the pond and to the environment. The mode of action of the thread algae killers is different. Some of them dissolve the algae in a few days, others just dissolve it from the ground, so they have to climb up to the water surface and then have to be fished off. One should inform oneself exactly before the purchase.
Since dead algae release nutrients, especially phosphate, something should be done to bind them. Otherwise, new algae appear quickly. For rapid reduction, there are special binders, e.g. Phosphate binder in commerce.
Tip: filamentous algae are very adaptable. They quickly become resistant to the means by which they fight. What works in one year can be ineffective in the next.
Fighting by acoustic signals (ultrasound)
Many garden pond owners are unaware of the method of destroying string algae with click sounds. Acoustic signals, in particular the thereby applied high-precision click sounds, are thereby generated and sent under water, whereby the hollow bodies of the algae cell are damaged. The vibrations act directly in the nucleus of the algae and implode them. Filamentous algae die within two to three weeks, suspended algae even within a week. The algae float to the water surface and can be fished off. The signals are transmitted with such high frequency that they are not audible to humans or to animal pond inhabitants. Tough filamentous algae only die after 6 to 8 weeks. The devices are available with different sound ranges. The theory sounds great, because chemical agents are absolutely dispensed with. The downside is the hefty price. The devices cost a few hundred euros. I have read several reviews in which they have no effect. Maybe they have been improved in the meantime. Here's just a try.
Tip: When it rains, the methane gas disappears, driving the dead algae to the surface and sinking to the bottom of the pond instead. Since they continue to release nutrients, this is rather unfavorable. So they should be fished fast and regularly.
Combat by UV rays
In sewage treatment plants UV clarifiers have been used for a long time, now they are used in more and more garden ponds. The devices are connected upstream of the filter system and sonicate the water at regular intervals with ultraviolet light. This kills algae and all kinds of bacteria, including the beneficial ones. All natural organisms are destroyed, even microorganisms that are necessary for the biological balance. Too much application turns the garden pond into a sterile water. But usually 60 minutes are enough daily to get rid of the algae. When buying must be taken to ensure that not accidentally a UV pond filter is purchased. In addition, the device must be adapted to the size of the pond. The larger the garden pond, the higher the performance of the UV clarifier must be. This in turn requires a corresponding filter. The services are between 8 and 85 watts. There are low and high pressure lamps, depending on the size of the pond.
What better to refrain!
Not everything that is recommended should be copied. Here are some examples of what should be better avoided:
- Common salt - often effectively combats the algae problem, but harms the living things in the pond and permanently.
- Use grass carp - eat algae and are therefore very helpful, but also eradicate all other plants and make the pond an underwater desert.
- Red feathers and noses - also eat algae, but only if not fed, which is usually necessary. Phosphate enters the pond again with the fish food.
- I - Tronic - devices with copper electrode and control, so that copper constantly gets into the water. Kills algae reliably, but also harms the living things in the pond and massively.
Algae in the pond are annoying, but somehow they belong to it. Thread algae can actually be eliminated quite well manually. This also has the advantage that dying algae can no longer deliver their nutrients to the water. They are simply fished out and stored on the compost. Here it is useful when nutrients get in, unlike in the pond. By many means, which also help against thread algae and other algae, is strongly intervened in the natural cycle. Often you do more damage than it helped. Here it must be weighed. Are the algae really that bad? Are not there any natural things that help? Before one reaches for the chemical club, to UV-rays and ultrasound, one should always search for more harmless ways.