Is the forsythia poisonous to humans, as well as cats and other pets?


The Content Of The Article:

Forsythia - forsythia

The forsythia is a popular flowering shrub for the native gardens due to the extraordinary luminosity of its yellow flowers. The plant is also called Goldglöckchen and comes from China. However, this is slightly toxic, but is planted out of ignorance in many gardens. In humans as well as in animals it can come after a consumption or contact with parts of plants to intoxication symptoms. Therefore, supervise small children and young animals while playing in the garden.

Contained toxins

The beautiful, golden yellow flowers of forsythia invite to sniff and to touch, however, contain all the parts of the plant toxins. For that reason, everyone should be treated with caution. Animals usually stay away from the plant by themselves and avoid contact. Children should be advised that the forsythia is poisonous and therefore no part of the plant should be put into the mouth.
  • Forsythia is low in toxicity
  • Fruits, leaves and seeds contain saponins and glycosides
  • Flowers contain glycosides and essential oils

symptoms of poisoning

Saponins are nitrogenous steroids that are also found in small amounts in some vegetables, including peas, spinach and tomatoes. For some species, these ingredients are completely incompatible. Saponins must not enter the bloodstream directly because they have a blood-dissolving property in small amounts and destroy the red blood cells. If by mistake some of the plant parts of forsythia get into the human circulation, that's not really dangerous. It must already be consumed large quantities of the plant in order to get seriously ill.
  • The consequences of eating include malaise and nausea
  • Discomfort and pain in the stomach and intestine are also common
  • Hardship causes diarrhea

Measures for first aid

After touching the forsythia, it is advisable to wash your hands immediately afterwards. If it comes to a consumption of parts of plants, then in most cases, a slight poisoning occurs. However, even larger amounts of forsythia must be consumed so that the ingredients contained therein severely toxic to the human organism. This poisoning can be eliminated by increasing the supply of fluids, thus diluting the concentration of the ingredients in the body.
  • After consumption, drink plenty of water, juice or herbal tea
  • Wash affected areas with soap and water
Tip: In case of prolonged complaints and symptoms of poisoning, a doctor should be consulted promptly, then it is probably a serious intolerance regarding the toxins.

Take care with care

Forsythia - forsythia

Since the forsythia is slightly toxic in all its parts, skin contact during pruning should be avoided at all costs. The poison contained therein occurs mainly on the fresh cut surfaces. Blurred residues of the vegetable juice quickly lead to superficial irritation on the skin. In addition, neither children nor pets can get at these parts of the plant and in this way accidentally poison themselves.
  • Wear gloves when cutting recommended
  • Do not touch your face while gardening
  • Afterwards clean all cutting tools thoroughly
  • Use high percentage alcohol for cleaning and disinfecting
  • Dispose of cut plant parts safely
  • Do not put on the compost heap

Toxicity to animals

Even for dogs, cats and most other pets, forsythia is only mildly toxic. However, especially puppies and kittens like to nibble on the garden plants and poison themselves afterwards. The native insects and birds keep completely away from the forsythia, therefore, this flowering shrub is not useful for the ecological composition of the garden and for nature conservation.
  • Do not let young pets play unattended in the garden
  • In the household with pets do without the plant of forsythia
Conclusion
Although the forsythia is only slightly toxic, it can still come with a contact or consumption to poisoning symptoms. These can usually be remedied by increased hydration, in serious emergencies, a doctor should be consulted. During the care work gloves are to be worn and a skin contact necessarily to be avoided. Anyone who plans his garden as a family with small children and also has young pets should completely abstain from planting forsythia. These take pleasure out of curiosity everything in the mouth and nibble it, thereby the toxins enter the body. At least until the children are taller and the animals are fully grown. If forsythia already grows in the garden, then children should always be warned to be careful when handling the flowering shrub.

Video Board: The Echo Tree | Critical Role RPG Show Episode 63.

© 2019 EN.Garden-Landscape.com. All Rights Reserved. When Copying Materials - The Reverse Link Is Required | Site Map