The Content Of The Article:
Today's trend is moving away from the well-tended lawn without a "weed", to the natural grass, which serves not only to look, but to enter. In the summer the deck chair can be placed and even better, you lie down directly on the lawn.
In a scented grass, the "putting in" offers directly and is certainly a wonderful smell.
The fragrant natural garden
A scent of grass attracts insects who find a covered table here. For example, butterflies, bees, bumblebees, grasshoppers, grasshoppers, and the field cricket will certainly stop, and if there is a pool there are also dragonflies with their beautiful colors. If you can build a stone wall, lizards and toads will settle.
Preparations for the new creation of the scented grass
- Digging the intended area 1 spade deep - if possible in autumn
- Level the area with a 2-3 m long latte, remove from weeds, roots and stones
- Bring quartz sand into the clay soil, that is, the soil must be emaciated
- The soil settles in about 3-4 weeks, then rake again
Before sowing the scented grass seed in the spring or summer, you should plan stepping stones, set a place for the compost heap, and make any pebbles and cairns for small animals. Then the scent or herb lawn can be seeded. How exactly this is done depends on which seed they have chosen. But for every purchase you will receive a manual.
Before you buy seeds, you should be aware of whether the area is dry, or moory, moist. Whether the place is shady or in the blazing sun. In addition, it is important for our insects that you only select seeds with native species. The best time for sowing is the months of April and May. In principle, however, can be sown until August, important is the water supply in the summer. You should make sure that after sowing and germinating the seeds, the soil is always kept moist, because the germination period of the aromatic herbs takes longer than with normal annual flowers. Sometimes the fragrance or herb lawn is called a flower meadow, but that's not true, because the smell of the smell does not get that high and has a completely different species diversity.
Care of the "Meadow for Lazy"
You get a scent that makes no claims and is mowed only twice a year (July and October). A scythe is best for mowing, but not everyone can handle that. The lawn mowing in 1 year please perform carefully, possibly cut off only with scissors, so that the delicate plantlets are not torn from the ground. In any case, the scented lawn surface must not be mowed to the bottom, but it should always be 5 - 10 cm stop. The clippings must be cleared, it must not be left on the lawn. It is easy to compost. The scarifying (lawn aerate) and also the fertilization of the scented grass is eliminated. In the first year of growth, the smell of perfume should not be entered often.
Plant scented grass with wild shrubs
A very different way of planting a smell of grass is when you grow wild shrubs with low growth and good smell. These perennials should always be planted together in greater numbers so that the scent is intense. A number of the possible perennials are listed below:
- Steppe thyme, Thymus pannonicus - aromatic fragrant, rosaceae
- Carpet pennyroyal, Artemisia assoana - strongly aromatic, forms dense mats, entering without difficulty
- Wiesenkümel, Carum carvi - flowers white-red
- Kentucky bluegrass, Poa pratensis - green
- Lemon thyme, Thymus x citriodurus - Lemon fragrance, aromatic, white blossom
- Roman chamomile - evergreen, sunny location, even the leaves smell
- Fiederpolster (Laugenblume) - very firm,
- low peppermint - mild menthol odor
- Quendel, thyme, Thymus pulegioides - limited walk, needs sun!
- Caraway thyme, Thymus herba barona - creeping, walkable, dark green, scented carpet
- When mowing in the 1st year here too make sure that the plantlets are not torn from the ground.
- And now you need patience, because the wild plants have to settle in and feel good.
- But already in the 2nd year you notice a growing together of the individual perennials...
- ... and in the 3rd year a carpet of fragrant wild shrubs will have formed.
You will be amazed at how many wild shrubs arrive over time. And if you can not help a lot of the endangered insects, birds and butterflies, you will still be pleased how many different animals you provide with their scent of grass.
Worth knowing about scented turf shortly
How beautiful to look at is a lush flower meadow, which colorfully blooming of green shrubs and green spaces imele hobby gardener, however, prefer to continue to grow their lawn in a uniform green, but still not to abandon flowering plants and herbs, For example, they can sow the flower meadow seed on the edge of their green area and then provide this area with stones or another decorative border boundary. Thus, incidentally - at least largely - a scattering of flowers on other parts of the lawn is avoided.
In general, such a colorful lawn has a fairly firm and very robust texture, with the blades of grass and special types of flowers such. B. the meadow marguerite, the spring wrench, the red ostrich grass or the meadowlet be characterized by a special low growth and therefore the regular lawn mowing (say: about four to nine times per garden year) does not harm their healthy growth. It should be noted, however, that the appropriate cutting length should not be less than 3 to 4 cm, because after mowing the contained flowers and herbs can regenerate very quickly.