The Content Of The Article:
- What is flying there?
- How does the Drosophila come to the kitchen?
- First: Eliminate food + soil
- Save fruit shopping
- Destroy existing fruit flies
For winegrowers, there are goat flies, for early risers Baptism, South Germans and Austrians beat after them as for all large or small "mosquitoes", the rest they called fruit, fruit, fermenting, mustard or vinegar flies - they only annoy all just about mass meetings of the tiny two-winged with a great appetite for (rotten) fruits and (fermenting) drinks. How stupid that the mini-flies appear almost everywhere, on many plants around us and in most of our fruits (even those in the store). But panic is not announced, the "only too well known flying objects" have nothing to do with kitchen hygiene and would not even be harmful to health if you cook the cloud to chutney. And they can be controlled, with information about the decisive factors influencing Taufliegen-fighting even quite simple:
What is flying there?
What flies there, you do not have to worry in case of doubt; Combat works without botanical identification of the flying cloud. It may of course interest, here is a small excursion into the life area "Drosophila and Co." for curious people with attention span> 5 min (not curious people, American presidents and other people with attention deficits please read on the next paragraph):
In a forum for / with insect experts it is ridiculed that in a citizen survey with the title: "Which insects do you find especially annoying?" is not distinguished between fruit flies (16.9% particularly troublesome) and "normal flies" (especially annoying for 15.2%). It is true, colloquially small flying animals from the families Drosophila and Bohrfliegen are referred to as "fruit flies", which belong to the flies like houseflies and blowflies. More specifically: To the superclass six-feet, class insects, subclass flying insects, superorder new-wing, order fly, submission fly, suborder Muscomorpha, section Schizophora... only at the subsection it divides, in Acalyptratae (flies, Bohrfliegen) + Calyptratae (Real flies, blowflies ) and then again in superfamilies, to each one of the above Fly families include: Ephydroidea (fruit flies), Tephritoidea (drilling flies), Muscoidea (flies with housefly), Oestroidea (blow flies).
Can you imagine how many flying animals are involved when such a difficult classification is required? Exactly, very many, the insects are the most species-rich animal class ever with 1 million known and estimated millions of unknown species (which is no wonder then, if you know that the first insect species conquered their first eco-niche about 400 million years ago), Well, 4,500 species of bore flies (144 at ours), but that almost reach housefly size and only annoy us in the garden; In this article they have to do with double flying in the living-working room doubly nothing.
Remain around 4,000 species of people annoying fruit flies, of which "only" 63 live in Germany, which would still be perfectly enough to drive us completely insane. The German fruit, dew, fermentation, mustard flies but not all annoy us, but "support" as wild species certain trees in the fruit disposal, only a handful of culture followers (currently known 7) has adapted to human habits. Some are lucky with their parents and are placed in the middle of a fruit store or cider mill, some catching only a job on the compost, where they work fairly with a flyweight of about 1 mg compared to the 1,000x heavier earthworm (average weight 1 g) and probably not appreciated... Would be a reason to get into your kitchen, but:
How does the Drosophila come to the kitchen?
The unlucky compost will no longer escape the unloved job, because the path from the compost in the backyard to the kitchen overwhelmed the tiny creature (the way of compost directly under the kitchen window would be difficult, so the compost is not there either). Rather get the larvae from the fruit store or the cider the chance to live in a comfortable, warm, beautifully decorated kitchen. Maybe in your kitchen, mostly bought with fruit or must, now and then "hatched" through the window. Where you now fall on every digestible food remnant and of course lay eggs. Because with successful egg storage every 10 to 14 days at least 400 new fruit flies hatch (per female), arises in a normal hygienic kitchen in a jiffy the impression that this is just miraculously "taken over by Drosophila" (if You do not know exactly what to look out for and how to fight the animals quickly and effectively).For the ordinary citizen, it would therefore be much more advantageous if experts would not scoff at incorrect classifications / designations, but would rather present many practical solutions, as the kitchen as soon as possible Daufliegen-free again.
Tip: With the "species-richest animal class ever", some people have problems that can go as far as limiting their freedom and well-being - as unpleasant as it is pointless, because there is no way around the most species-rich animal class. Health and psyche are rarely involved, the rest could help a few facts to a new mindset, because we benefit humans in many ways from insects: We use insects in well over two dozen different ways, as medicinal, fiber, Honey, dye and aromatics producers, as food, food and pet, in research, criminalistics and new therapies... As pollinators of food plants, they are existentially important to humanity; if myriads of industrious insects did not turn amazing amounts of organic waste into humus, we would wade into sludge and the environment would collapse. Insects harm us "only" as plant, wood, food pests, parasites and pathogens (and even more noticeable, since natural precautions in dealing with insects in the worldwide "run on more profit" more and more often fall by the wayside). Even the fruit fly cloud in the kitchen could be used by the way, 500 Taufliegen are sold as feed animals for 1.95 €.
First: Eliminate food + soilSince insect experts who descend to the level of the common folk and develop and present practical tips against fruit flies are rather rare, we present the useful home remedies. While some insect researchers have done a great service to humanity by researching exactly what the fruit flies actually eat: the flies and their larvae are not primarily about fruit or decaying, fermenting organic material, like so is often read (and leaves the reader just as perplexed because his kitchen just is not the "pigsty" full of decaying organic material that such articles seem to suggest). No, the mini-flies are keen on something completely different: they feed primarily on the fruit-decomposing micro-organisms, specialized yeasts and bacteria, which usually can not do anything with other organic material, only incidentally, with a yeast-and- Co-molecule sometimes consumed a sugary plant cell.
What for you and the kitchen hygiene means:
- You do not need to assume that your kitchen is in any way "dirty" when goose-worms spread
- However, you can assume that somewhere in the entry lane of the animals something "fruit" is
- This in a very broad interpretation (also for fruit flies applies in doubt: "Hunger's pure")
- First of all fruit, even fruit without visible fouling
- Because the microorganisms that decompose fruit are already there before you can see a lazy spot
- Then, of course, every fruit product, jam, juice, the empty peach tin, the lemon wedges on the schnitzel plate
- They are especially happy because fruit flies prefer to lay their eggs on citrus fruits
- Unbelievable, but true: They do that because offspring are protected from parasite infestation by citrus ingredients
- The kitchen has to be cleared of everything that "has ever come past fruit"
- The fruits on which you (even as a human) already perceived fouling, must disappear immediately
- Dispose of either, or eat very fast
- The fouling will be cut out as usual
- The fruit in the fruit bowl almost always contain fruit flies eggs, which are often eaten along
- If this fruit, with the new knowledge, is suspect to you:
- Cook a quick little compote out of it, in the saucepan every fly-fiber becomes history
- Fruit and fruit parts, which are disposed of, of course, immediately out of the kitchen, otherwise shift the breeding in the trash can
- If drops / blobs of fruit-containing or fermenting liquids have to be wiped away:
- Please not with vinegar, find the fruit flies also quite good, but with hot water + surfactant (Spüli, household cleaners, etc.)
Tip: Drowning loungers are therefore no sign of dirty kitchens; but it goes even further: even the animals themselves do not endanger the household hygiene. These are small cell clusters that live on microorganisms that are part of our normal diet. Nowhere does the fly come into contact with human-endangering germs, nor is it too small to transport germs in relevant quantities.In other words, when you come home from the grocery store, you have a far greater hygiene risk to your kitchen than a large fruit flies gathering. Conclusion for realistic natures: With most pieces of fruit that you have eaten in your life so far, you have also eaten fruit fly larvae; There is no health whatsoever against eating fruits over which must flies hover. Washing up is ok, but to remove pesticide residues or commercially applied waxes, etc., not for goatflies.
Save fruit shoppingIf you've just bought a lot of fruit, you might not want to put it in the fridge right now because you do not know if the cold is enough to kill flies / larvae. Rightly, it is usually not enough, if you have bought fly eggs, they can slip in the closed pack (the flies themselves usually die in the fridge, but that will not help you anymore). In this situation, heat is the solution:
- The gentlest method is to put the fruit in transparent plastic bags in the midday sun
- The eggs die from solar radiation due to overheating
- For proteins denature (= die) from 42° C, and the tiny protein heaps called Taufliege-egg are there at the forefront
- The next method of Obstrettung is thus the opening of the hot water tap in the kitchen
- In order to kill legionella, which multiply in not constantly used lines, the hot water is usually set to 60° C
- When you get hot and not just lukewarm water from the tap, it kills fruit fly eggs
- Fruit with a robust shell (oranges, lemons, kiwi, thick-skinned apples) can suddenly bathe you in hot water, instead of washing it one by one
- Canning, juicing and sterilizing, processing to jam / marmalade, baking fruit bread also kills safely any Taufliegen track
Destroy existing fruit fliesHow long the already hatched fruit flies live, which still populate your kitchen, is not very clear. You know that they live in the laboratory for about two weeks under breeding conditions, and that you know that, you can safely believe: "Drosophila melanogaster", a normal baptism bed belonging to the cultural successors, has made a career far beyond the kitchen. In 1901, the first hereditary researcher identified her as a suitable experimental organism, and since she also proved to be unbeatably easy to keep and multiply, she has already lived in millions of laboratories for these two weeks.
In the field, goat flies live up to two months, but reasonable sources for it are already no longer found. No one has researched how long they live in a kitchen, and that's not because "that would be too practical," but that, unfortunately, kitchens are far too different. If all the fruit is gone, you would probably only need to wait a fairly short time until all fruit flies have starved to death, but every laboratory assistant knows that 200 fruit flies "can keep up with a piece of decaying banana for 2 weeks"... For the last remnant of fruit liquid If you do not have the time or inclination, you can destroy the surviving fruit fly, most of them with a vacuum cleaner, the rest are buried in fly-traps.
Fruit fly traps are offered in many variants (and of course as a commercially available product), but the simplest model does it:
- Half empty glass with fruit vinegar, apple juice, lemon juice, etc.
- Add a few drops of rinse, stir
- The detergent is important because it reduces the tension of the water surface
- Because the animals are so light that they would otherwise run over the water surface like "the must fly of Nazareth"
- With a little luck, they could also take off again, which prevents the Spüli trick
- Cover opening with cling film
- Fix foil with household rubber
- Punch holes in the foil
- Set up glass where goat flies fly around
- If the surface of the water is tightly covered with flies, empty the glass and refill if necessary
Similarly relaxed, you can also tackle fruit flies prevention, about which there are not many words to lose: Do not leave ripe fruit lying around until it rots, but eat it. Air the kitchen occasionally and ventilate it in / after "fruit weeks" more often and more thoroughly (so that as many must fly attractants as possible "out").