The Content Of The Article:
Most garden furniture must be brought indoors at least in the winter, they weather even with good care in the long run or prove in storms not just as stable and stable. The situation is different with gabion seating benches and tables. If the plate and seat are weathered, they are easily replaced. The durable and sturdy base, on the other hand, has a lot to offer and, in addition, offers numerous options for design and customization. Building instructions, tips and decoration ideas, reveals the following text.
Gabions are stainless wire baskets available in many different sizes, shapes and grid sizes. The individual parts are connected by spiral wire and so easily and effectively fixed to each other. In this way it is also possible to design individual benches, which also serve as adjoining.
Benches and borders made of gabion baskets have some advantages. including:
- Possibility of individual, customized form
- Insensitive to weather
- Can be equipped with spotlights
- Suitable for demarcation
- Can be planted with hanging baskets, flower boxes and climbing plants
- By filling stone in optics variable, even with the same shape
If you would like to build a seat made of gabions yourself, you first need the right plan. Should the durable garden furniture be suitable for the terrace, separate beds from each other or serve as a practical highlight in the gravel garden? Not only dimensions but also shape, choice of wood and stones depend on it.
It is worthwhile to browse DIY stores, catalogs and the Internet and get suggestions in abundance. However, the construction manual differs only slightly in each case.
- Once the gabion bench is filled, it brings a significant weight to the scale. The floor must therefore be prepared accordingly. The stand space must be flat and solidified, otherwise the bank will sink in later. As a base on the compacted substrate, a layer of gravel is also recommended.
- Since adjustments in the state later only possible by the stone filling is removed again, the alignment should be checked in advance and coordinated exactly.
- The lowest gabions are set up and aligned, the stand checked.
- So nothing crazy when filling, the individual gabion baskets are fixed together by spiral wire. The wire must be screwed in so that the ends do not protrude.
- For the filling stones are chosen, which are in any case larger than the width of the grid. Otherwise they could fall out through this.
- After filling, the baskets are closed and the lids are fixed with spiral wire.
- Of course, at least the seat is missing so that the gabions are actually the bank. For this purpose, wood planks are sawn and impregnated accordingly.
- The planks are laid up and connected to the gabions, for example, by screwed-on angles at the bottom.
If the Gabion seat is not just designed with a seat, but also with armrests and backrests, these can be easily realized with suitably selected baskets.
For the armrests narrow gabions are used, which is slightly higher than the seat. Correspondingly high baskets should be selected for the backrest, which are bevelled to the seating surface. These can also be equipped with planks made of wood or plastic.
Tip: The gabion baskets for the backrests must be connected to the wire racks for the seat. Otherwise, significant gaps can form between them.
Tips for filling
When filling, it is of course primarily on the size and look. The color and shape of the stones should match the personal taste and match the rest of the garden design. The size must again be adjusted to the width of the grid, so that the filling does not fall out later.
Apart from that, it is also important to pay attention to the following:
- Insert stones on the floor individually by hand to avoid gaps
- Layer by layer, align the outer layer of the stones precisely and then fill it inside
- Avoid gaps and shaky conditions
- Carefully align and level the top end so that the grille can be closed
Tip: In order to prevent weathering and damage, only frost-resistant rocks should be used.
The combination of grid, stone and wood is already decorative in itself - but it can be set in a variety of different ways. These tips help:
- For literally glowing gabion banks, spotlights can be fixed between the stones during filling - the orientation must be tested immediately, so that they do not dazzle later
- As alternative lighting, fairy lights can be braided or hung on the gabions
- For a particularly unusual and decorative effect different colored rock types can be used alternately - here a quartz, because light and dark stones in straight layers or curved waves are particularly individual and appealing
- The gabions, with their lattice structure, provide a wonderful base for climbing plants - wine or ivy planted around the bank provides a living shell in no time
- In order not to create permanent growth but still to set accents, the seat made of gabions can be equipped with flowerpots to be hung - these are best hung during filling
- For integrated planting, choose very narrow gabions in two heights as armrests - the boxes are inserted in the recesses and provided with growths
For the gabions to retain their decorative character, they must now and then be freed from the signs of the times. Dust and lime stains are particularly noticeable on smooth, shiny rocks. In addition, dried leaves and dead insects can get caught between the stones. For easy cleaning, a high-pressure cleaner recommends that the dirt be rinsed and rinsed out. For harder cases, it may be necessary to remove the stones from the gabions and rinse or brush individually.
A seat made of gabion is quite easy to build by yourself - but offers numerous possibilities of design and use. The durable garden furniture can also be weather by rain and snow, even by storm and sunshine something. The effort and the investment are worthwhile in the long run and still allow variations.
Besides being used as a garden bench, gabions can be used for many other purposes in the garden. A complete seating area including barbecue can be realized with it, but also for smaller or larger walls gabions are well suited. They also look very nice as frames for a raised bed, which can be used for herbs or other low plants. For this purpose, there are wire baskets in very narrow dimensions and different heights, so that they can be selected to match the size of the residents.
Gabion walls not only serve as boundaries, but they can also be planted by filling the interstices with earth. Then rock garden plants can be set, which enliven such a wall. Alternatively, a climbing plant can be selected, which greenens a gabion wall from below. Gabions offer a variety of ways.