The Content Of The Article:
- When is the best time?
- General Editing Rules - Tips for Exemplary Cutting
- Cut solitaire - instructions for the shape cut
- Cut the medlar hedge - you should pay attention to this
- Hochstamm - Instructions for the crown cut
- Brilliant medlar with frost damage - what to do?
- Brilliant medlar drops leaves - so a rejuvenation cut solves the problem
- Cut off withered flowers or not?
All kinds of the magnificent kind of the glossy loquats characterize a good-natured cut compatibility. In principle, you can cut back the ornamental shrub at any time. Under the influence of summer heat and drought or winter frost, the beautiful wood of the family of the rose family should not be cut. Nevertheless, there is a perfect time for the different cuts. The following overview shows you, when optimally cutting back a Photinia.
When is the best time?
- Shape and care cut: immediately after flowering in June / July
- Correction cut on hedges: between the end of August and the beginning of September
- Auslichtungsschnitt: in late winter, ideally in January / February
- Rejuvenation pruning: between the 1st of October and the 28th of February
- Do not cut in frost, extreme drought or summer heat
General Editing Rules - Tips for Exemplary CuttingTheir ornamental strengths only play a glossy medlar if it is expertly cut at the right time. The furious triad of colorful leaves, distinctive flower spikes and autumnal fruit decorations depend on a well-planned cutting. Regardless of whether you are cultivating lavender as a solitaire, hedge, or high stem, the following cut rules apply:
- The stronger the pruning, the stronger the resulting sprouting
- Best starting point for the scissors: 3-5 mm above an outward bud
- Slight bevel cut makes rainwater and irrigation water run better
- At the Hochstamm: Auslichtungsschnitt on Astring without stub remnants
- Saw off strong branches step by step
The last two cutting rules require the following, more detailed explanations: If the branches are too dense in a treetop, some specimens must yield. In this case, set the scissors so that the astring is not injured. This is the beaded transition from the branch to be removed to the parent branch. If it is a strong branch of more than 5 cm in diameter, go in stages. In the first step you saw the shoot at the bottom to the middle. This section is about 30 cm away from the Astring. Then set the saw 5 to 10 cm in offset at the top and saw until the branch breaks off. Now you can cut off the remaining stump on Astring without having to worry about damaging the stem bark.
Tip: Behind the distinctive appearance of a gloss medlar conceals a defensive ornamental shrub. With sharp thorns, a Photinia unwanted guest keeps away and also torments the skin of a caring gardener's hand with painful cracks. Therefore, wear thornproof gloves with long cuffs for care and cutting work.
Cut solitaire - instructions for the shape cutIn individual position a regular pruning is not obligatory. Rather, in the first few years you can enjoy the fulminant color spectacle of red shoots, white flowers and bright berries of your loquat. With an average annual growth of 40 cm and a loose growth, over time the compact stature is lost. Furthermore, the conspicuous, red sprouting from year to year flagged visibly. If this disadvantageous development becomes apparent, bring the ornamental shrub back into shape with a pruning cut. That is how it goes:
- Cut back the shrub by a third in early summer
- Alternatively, shorten the branches out of the shape
- Ideally, the shoots in dubbed dome shape blending for an optimized light supply
- In the late winter all dead, intersecting and too dense branches auslichten
Note: Did you know that the premium variety 'Red Robin' is now also available for the small garden and tub? The little brother 'Little Red Robin' remains on a stature height of 100 to 150 cm. This gives the individual shoots more stability, so that the small shrub naturally grows densely densely.Cultivated as a solitaire, the cut care is therefore limited to annual making.
Cut the medlar hedge - you should pay attention to thisTheir glossy-green leaves are on Lichtfang all year round. This circumstance should be taken into consideration when cutting a glossy medlar hedge. The shrubs thrive in row planting only dense and compact from the base to the top, when the sun can reach all areas. Therefore pay attention to the following step-by-step instructions for the exemplary hedge trimming:
- In early summer, cut back the hedge to the desired growth habit
- Ideally cut in trapezoidal shape with a wide base and a narrow top
- If necessary, make a correction cut in late summer
The robust cut compatibility of glossy medlars also allows further cuts until shortly before the beginning of autumn. Recesses at a later date affect the winter hardiness of the perennial. The subsequent time window is too short for the fresh shoot to mature in time before the beginning of winter. On such a weakened shrub frost damage is inevitable with the risk of total failure.
Hochstamm - Instructions for the crown cutThe glossy medlar is in high demand as a high strain. With her lush crown perched above a straight trunk and her colorful play of colors in spring, the master gardener has done excellent preparatory work with the upbringing. In order to repeat the floral magic every year, you can not avoid a regular crown cut. The aim of the cutting measures are a slender, stable trunk, no twigs at eye level and a spherical shaped, loose-bushy crown. This is how the plan succeeds:
- Starting with the end of flowering, cut back long branches
- At intervals of 4 to 6 weeks perform further correction cuts
- For the last time make a slight cut in the beginning of September
- Thoroughly round out the crown in January or February
Note: Did you know that you can raise a glossy medlar yourself to the Hochstamm? Pick the strongest center shoot on the young shrub and tie it to a stick. All the competition drives cut you off at the neck and remove redundant side shoots. Guide the center drive to the desired trunk height. There you cap the top 4 leaves above the planned crown approach. Then the branch to the crown gets going.
Brilliant medlar with frost damage - what to do?In the silent fight against freezing cold the young shoots are sometimes affected. The Asian gem has not learned to withstand temperatures below - 10 degrees Celsius without winter protection. At wind-exposed locations, frost damage is therefore not uncommon. Typical symptoms include frozen, drooping shoot tips and withered leaves.
When you regulate the damage with optimal success, the weather signals. The best time has come when no severe frost below - 10 degrees Celsius more are to be feared. Cut all frozen shoots back to healthy wood. Please make sure that there is a healthy bud or branch 5 to 10 mm below the interface.
Tip: In the bucket for your glossy medlar there are few chances for an undamaged outdoor hibernation. If there is a crowded area in the winter quarters, there is nothing against a pruning before granting. Shorten the branches by a third and clear already deadwood and unfavorable shoots.
Brilliant medlar drops leaves - so a rejuvenation cut solves the problem
Brillianties with leaf fall respond to site problems and improper watering. As a result of drought or waterlogging, the plant sees itself threatened in its existence and throws off the foliage for self-protection. Now there is an immediate need for action to save the noble ornamental wood. The right package of measures consists of a root cause analysis and a rejuvenation cut. It is not enough to get rid of the trigger of sheet shedding.
In parallel with the improvement of the care program, you undergo the affected medlar of a rigorous rejuvenation. As already explained in the beginning of these instructions, the date for the radical pruning is a date between the beginning of October and the end of February. How to cut professionally:
- Defrost dead and completely defoliated branches
- Cut all shoots back in half
- Do not shorten the loquat to the leafless wood