The Content Of The Article:
- When can goldfish spend the winter outside in the pond?
- General information about the feeding of goldfish
- When winter has arrived
- Sick fish - what to do?
- Goldfish overwinter in the house
- Worth knowing about the wintering of goldfish in the near future
When winter creeps on the soft soles, goldfish owners have to think about how to hibernate the animals. It depends on the pond whether the goldfish can stay in their natural home or not during the winter.
When can goldfish spend the winter outside in the pond?
- The depth of the pond plays a crucial role. Only if the pond is more than 80 cm deep, the temperature in the lower water area is about 4° C, which is vital for the fish.
- The goldfish should live in the pond for at least six months, because then they are adapted to their environment and the prevailing environment.
- The fish need sufficient oxygen even in winter. By means of a Durchlüfterstein can be ensured that bad gases are discharged from the pond and oxygen enters the water.
- In addition, a ventilation stone ensures that a point on the water surface remains ice-free, one of the key points in the hibernation of goldfish.
To ensure that all goldfish survive the winter unscathed, the first measures will be taken in late autumn:
- The pond owner goes into the pond and removes all leaves and dead plant remains.
- Aquatic plants are cut back vigorously.
- Next, attention should be paid to the bottom mud.
- If too much has accumulated, some of it should be sucked off.
- If you do not have a special device, you can borrow one from most pond or fish trade shops.
- The ice primer or the Durchlüfterstein is attached before the first frost threatens.
- All accessories such as circulation pumps, filter media or fountains are switched off because the constant mixing of the water would reduce the temperature even further.
- From a water temperature of about 8° C, the animals are no longer fed, because the metabolism of goldfish works on a low flame.
General information about the feeding of goldfishWhether goldfish have to be fed at all depends crucially on the size of the pond. In a real biotope can be completely dispensed with the feeding. In a smaller pond, however, must be fed. In the summer months, the quality of the water is regularly examined, as sinking feed can lead to inferior quality. Goldfish are omnivorous, so one should be guided in the choice of food of variety.
When winter has arrivedWhen all preparations are completed, winter can come. But even after his arrival, the focus must be on the welfare of the animals. For example, if snow falls on the pond, it should be removed carefully before thawing. Of course, during this process as little snow as possible should fall through the ice-free place directly into the pond. In addition, the goldfish owner must spread as little discomfort as possible, so that the animals do not suffer from the stress. Otherwise, daily look should be thrown into the pond to control the welfare of the animals. If a warming period occurs in the winter, the fish raise their metabolism again. In these cases it should be avoided with some sink foods that the animals come too far up, because the surface is still colder than the water at the bottom of the pond.
Sick fish - what to do?A sick fish shows clear symptoms:
- He swims or drives quite high up.
- Occasionally he lies down on his side.
Goldfish overwinter in the houseIf the pond does not have the necessary depth, the animals must move to a cold water basin before the first frost. The approximate guideline is a water temperature of about 8° C. Of course, the best place for the goldfish would be a cold but frost-free room, such as the garage or the basement. The tank should be equipped with a pump and filters and the soil is covered with sand. Most useful is a mixture of water from pond and tap water. Thus, the fish do not completely lose the connection to "their" water and the settling in is faster. In the spring, feeding is started slowly. This process lasts up to several weeks.After about one to two months you are back to the normal amount of food. Only when no more frost threatens, the animals are set back into the pond.
Worth knowing about the wintering of goldfish in the near futureHibernation in the pond
To decide if the hibernation of the fish in the pond is possible, you should ask yourself the following questions and answer yes:
- Is your pond deeper than 80cm?
- Are your fish in the pond for more than 6 months?
- Does your pond have a device for oxygenation (no circulating pumps or fountains etc)?
- Is there a possibility to keep at least a small area free of ice?
Circulation pumps are helpful in the summer to enrich enough oxygen in the water but in winter this circulation of water would lower the temperature even further, for this reason, they leave these devices on the left and opt for a Durchlüfterstein, this brings out fumigants from the pond and Oxygen without major upheavals too. The aerator stone also keeps a small part of the pond ice-free, making sure that ice-free parts are not covered by leaves or the like. Another protection in winter provides a cover by foil or the like. Their fish usually hide in the lowest corner and do not move at all, that's normal, but if one of their charges should be lying on the side or on flat spots, watch him closely and eventually decide to hibernate in the house.
Hibernation in the house
The hibernation in the house is a small burden for the fish when handled properly, but there are also some things to keep in mind here:
- It is not recommended to let the fish in an aquarium at room temperature over the winter, as the natural cycle is then messed up.
- Decide rather for a large container, e.g. Rain barrels work well, equip it with a pump and filters.
- Also recommended is a mixture of pond and fresh water in the wintering container, so that the fish do not have too long acclimatization times.
- Only then do they lower the temperature between 8 and 4° C in the container, the garage or the cellar are completely sufficient.
- The container can be covered with a plate or the like.