The Content Of The Article:
The green lily is a species of the subfamily of the agave family (Agavoideae). Native to South Africa and indoors, it has been popular since 1850. Its decoratively hanging offspring tempt some pets to play and nibble on it. The toxicity of plants can be assessed differently for each pet and for humans. As a valued pollutant filter for interiors, the wholesomeness of the green lily is differentiated.
toxicityOf the poison centers in Germany, the green lily is generally classified as non-toxic. This applies both to the wild form and to the cultivated varieties. A critical dose is not available, it goes on to say. If a large amount is consumed, it can cause nausea, nausea and gastrointestinal complaints. Remedy then creates a high hydration. For large quantities and violent reactions, administer charcoal tablets if necessary. As far as the official site. As we know, people react very differently to one and the same substance. Toddlers once again differently. For pets, the same thing: dog, cat, turtle or bird, not all tolerate one and the same substances alike. A close look at the individual compatibilities is worthwhile in any case.
substancesThe green lily contains different substances in its plant parts. While the leaves and shoots are considered largely harmless, the seeds contain saponins. In certain quantities, these can irritate the gastric mucosa in humans and animals. The seeds are rarely trained in the room green lilies. They are reported as low toxicity. The flowering time is very short, sometime from May to June. Behind the flower forms a small, bright bag with few, very small, black seeds. The saponins contained therein are used to protect the seeds against fungal diseases. Neither a special toxicity nor a healing effect has hitherto been scientifically established. Despite all its non-toxicity, one should not forget that the green lily filters pollutants from the air. It enriches these pollutants in their leaves. So if it is in rooms where there is a lot of smoking or toxic substances from furniture or paintings in the air, so also increases their toxicity.
PeoplePure contact with the plant will not seriously harm people. Unattended infants may enjoy the drooping shoots and put them in their mouths. But unless large quantities of it chewed and swallowed, it will hardly be able to poison symptoms. Both the contact, as well as the consumption can be classified as basically harmless for humans. An exception is the seeds that form after flowering. Consumed in large quantities, it can lead to slight symptoms of intoxication up to a gastritis.
dogs and catsNot everything that is non-toxic to humans is also suitable for the dear four-legged friends. But in this case occasional nibbles on the green lily for dogs and cats are also harmless. Dogs will not often come up with the idea of attacking houseplants by themselves. Cats react differently. Cats often react differently to certain substances than humans or even dogs. In addition, the Stubentiger love to nibble on indoor plants. From a toxicological point of view, the occasional enjoyment of some plant parts of the green line is safe for the four-legged friends. Rather, they hurt themselves by the sharp edges of the leaves. But cats are individuals too. This can lead to unwanted side effects after eating these leaves in particularly sensitive or sick animals. If you notice that the cat nibbles unusually often and a lot on the green lily, you should stop. If the cat is not a spreader, is it perhaps missing in wholesome green, such as cat grass? In rooms where the green lily has to do a lot of hard work as an air filter, it should be stopped altogether. Especially cats can be sensitive to the stored toxic substances, even if they are not deadly to them.
birdsBirds seem to like the green lily. If possible, they often and often like to pick from it. In this case, the green lily must be free of filtered pollutants from the room air. Whether the seeds have a negative impact on the health of birds is not known. Only consuming larger amounts over a long period of time could cause liver damage to birds. In other words, birds should not be allowed to use the green lily as a forage plant.
Small animals & terrariumsIn small animals, the green lily is often used as food for the small mammals.Among other things, she is eaten by chinchillas, rabbits and guinea pigs. In addition, the plant is also easy to propagate. Nevertheless, the green lily is not exactly a recommendation as a designated forage crop. After all, you have to monitor the flowering and make sure that the earth does not mold. In short, in the field of vegetables and herbs are certainly plants that are safe or even particularly healthy for small animals.
As a plant for terrariums, the green lily, as originally exotic plant from warm regions, offered. It is generally considered safe for turtle, iguana and Co.
Important instructionsFor humans, four-legged animals, small animals and birds can be held so. The green lily is harmless to health if:
- The indoor air is not contaminated by smoking or other pollutants *
- the plants have not been treated with chemical fertilizers and pesticides
- the flowers are removed before seed formation
ConclusionIn principle, the green lily can decorate every room without hesitation. Occasional nibbling, no matter from whom, does not lead to symptoms of intoxication. For use as a forage plant, the conditions described above must be met. Nevertheless, there are, certainly also for small animals and birds, fodder plants that are better suited for them than the green lily.