The Content Of The Article:
If you like to use fresh herbs in the kitchen, you can create your own herb high bed yourself. Especially through the different designs of raised beds garden, terrace or balcony are a real eye-catcher. But such raised beds of course offer other benefits. Depending on how tall the hobby cook did not have to bend down when picking fresh herbs, pests have virtually no chance of getting to the herbs. With the right tips and tricks, anyone can create their own herb high bed.
The advantages of choosing one or more herbal beds are obvious. Not only that with the different designs can be played and thus offers the viewer an eye-catcher on the balcony, terrace and garden. Plants in raised beds are not so often attacked by snails and other pests, as they are not in total close to the ground. In addition, the earth stores in the oversized flower boxes much more heat than is the case in the garden soil. This is especially beneficial in spring and autumn for the herbs to grow faster and stronger. If the raised beds are protected in winter and covered with fleece or translucent foil, then the healthy herbs can be harvested even in this season, because this creates a function, as otherwise offers a cold frame or a small conservatory.
Tip: The higher the raised beds are laid, the less the herbs in the winter, the ground frost to create, if the soil is covered and protected accordingly.
Required materials and equipment
A raised bed is usually an oversized planter, which can be built from wood quickly self-built. But raised beds made of stones are also very popular in the local gardens. But before the construction is always planning. So location, size and height must be set. Then the desired and needed materials can be procured and the crafting equipment provided. In this way, the work goes quickly from the hand. For a conventional raised bed, the following materials and equipment are required:
for a raised bed with wooden border:
- Wood boards of your choice for four sides, already cut to the desired size in the hardware store
- If you use untreated wood, you must treat it accordingly before processing
- Wood exposed to the weather in the garden will swell up with rain if not pretreated with appropriate means
- Vole grid (depending on the location of the raised bed)
- battery screwdriver
- possibly wood glue
for a raised bed with stone border:
- Natural or concrete blocks of your choice
- Clinker bricks are also suitable
- water hose
- Bucket for mixing
- spirit level
- small branches and branches
- special herbal earth from the trade
- or garden soil, mixed with compost
For balconies and terraces are primarily herb patches made of wood, in the garden, the raised beds made of stone can find a place. The construction in the garden goes as follows:
- screw all wooden sides cut in the hardware store together at the corners
- to the desired location
- at a stone high bed at the desired location the stones in the desired form wall on each other
- give mortar between the individual joints
- Place the vole grid on the ground
- Dress with bubble wrap
- give thick layer of foliage
- fill it with branches and twigs about 20 cm
- Cover with a thin layer of chaff
- give it about 10 cm of green waste
- the turf is turned upside down, with the soil on top
- Add a thick layer of compost and foliage again
- Finally, the prepared soil can be entered
- Now the raised bed is ready for the desired planting or sowing
If you want to cultivate a herb bed on a terrace or balcony, you will build a wooden box of the desired size with a floor. The laying out with the vole grid is omitted in this case. The interior is covered with bubble wrap before the soil is entered, otherwise the wood from the irrigation water would swell.
Tip: If you plant or sow many herbs, you can label them with small wooden tags.Thus, the required herbs are directly known when used for the kitchen. In addition, such a label looks very decorative.
With herbal beds, the garden can be beautifully designed, because there are many different designs and shapes, all of which develop their own charm. Either the hobby gardener chooses a clear line with only one shape or for different design possibilities of materials and shapes in several raised beds. For small corners, however, a single raised bed is suitable. So the herb garden becomes an experience for everyone. Depending on how much time should be invested in the construction of herbal beds, the designs can be very sophisticated but also very simple. Here, every garden owner has to rely on his own taste. The different raised beds could therefore look like this:
- natural look with natural stone edging, for a natural landscaped garden
- made of wood to taste with seating, the benches are attached directly around the raised bed
- Shaping oversized window boxes for the wooden garden
- create round raised beds with natural stones, interrupts the garden design
- in snail shell with natural stones, playful eye-catcher in a meadow
- in wood look on legs, can also serve as a small conservatory with foil
- different wooden boxes in different sizes stack, ideal for terrace or balcony
- make a "snake" out of stones, also suitable as a way limitation
- stacked up in the form of a ladder on a house wall
The herb sprout bed can be planted with all the herbs that nature has to offer. Not only the local herbs feel comfortable in the raised bed, also delicious herbs from the Mediterranean area and even tomatoes can be cultivated here. Here are some suggestions for herbs that can find their place in the herbal high bed and can also hibernate with protection:
An herb bed is suitable for every garden corner as well as for a terrace or a balcony. Because who builds the herb high bed itself, can also determine the size and shape itself here. In addition, raised beds in the garden are real eye-catchers with their many different designs. A boring, ground-level garden is interrupted by the raised beds, the herbs are placed in the center. Raised beds can be created quickly and easily from various stone materials or even from wood. With a few tips and tricks, the construction is very easy to do by hand, to make a simple herbal high bed. Other advantages include that pests, such as annoying snails or voles have virtually no chance to get to the herb plants. Since heat and nutrients are also stored in the raised bed, a healthy and vigorous growth of the various herbs is guaranteed. Last but always fresh herbs are present in the kitchen, which just need to be picked.
Video Board: How to Build a Raised Garden Bed for Under !.