The Content Of The Article:
- to water
- Loosen soil
- 7. Only when buds show up on the shoots may be fertilized, at the earliest from mid-May.
The hibiscus Newbiscus XXL is a unique hibiscus species, which is particularly noticeable by the huge flowers. With a diameter of almost 30 centimeters, it puts many other perennials in the shade and is also frost hardy, which makes the care in winter easier. The mallow plant is extremely thirsty, which is not surprising, since the original hibiscus plants come from the East Asian tropics.
LocationThe Newbiscus XXL is a special breed of the popular hibiscus moscheutos, also called marsh marshes, which comes from the US wetlands. The sumpfish was chosen as the source plant because of the huge flowers that form the hibiscus and is also seen on the Newbiscus XXL. Therefore, if you want to plant a specimen in your garden, similar conditions must exist to allow the plant to grow vigorously. The following properties should have the location for the plant:
- sunny to partial shade
- no blazing midday sun
- evenly moist
Tip: Provide the Hibiscus Newbiscus XXL with at least three hours of sun per day. This is especially important if you want to get the full potential out of the plant.
Orient yourself daily to the earth of the hibiscus and water. The plant has no special requirements for the water and therefore you can use simple tap water from the hose. Also, be sure to avoid waterlogging because the hibiscus does not want to drown. Too much water can manifest itself in a hanging of the shoots. If this happens, do not water until the site is sufficiently moist.
Tip: Hibiscus Newbiscus XXL requires high humidity, which can be a problem in many northern areas of Germany. Therefore spray the greenhouse with fresh water over and over again to increase the humidity.
Waterlogging can also manifest itself in the plant disease chlorosis, in which the leaves are yellowish and have green veins. Reduce the casting considerably and change the substrate if necessary.
FertilizeDue to the abundance of flowers, the hibiscus needs regular fertilization to support healthy growth. For the plant an inorganic flower or flower fertilizer should be used best, for example by Compo or Chrysal. The main thing is the magnesium content in the fertilizer is high. Do not give the fertilizer directly to the substrate or to the plant, that would over-salt it. Safer is the addition of the irrigation water.
The roots can absorb the important nutrients better and then process them. The Hibiscus Newbiscus XXL is fertilized from the beginning of the sprouting, usually in mid-May, and regularly every one to two weeks until the end of August, because then the flowering time is over. Pay attention to the dosage of the respective fertilizer, so as not to over-fertilize the plant. Due to its robustness, the hibiscus can tolerate too much fertilizer in the meantime, but too much fertilizer should always be avoided.
Loosen soilDue to the dense growth of the roots, the substrate of the giant hibiscus should be loosened up again and again, because the plant grows only well in a permeable substrate. The looser the earth, the easier the hibiscus can grow. The loosening of the soil happens in May before the first expulsion and after the expulsion. Thus, the growth is reinforced again and with the right pruning you can look forward to a very bushy plant with bright flowers.After loosening up, simply continue with the familiar care.
multiplyThe giant hibiscus is not propagated by seeds, but by cuttings. These prove to be very good to pull more specimens from the same plant. As the giant hibiscus grows as a perennial, there are enough shoots that can be used as a cutting and really make the pulling of a new specimen simple. Simply use the shoot tips that you removed during one of the annual cutbacks. After cutting the plant, proceed as follows to pull the cuttings:
1. Clear the clipping of small branches, buds and dirt.
2. Prepare a pot of nutrient-rich potting soil that has a depth and diameter of about 20 centimeters. Use the same substrate you would use for your mature specimens.
3. Now embed the cutting in the ground and cover the shoot generously with earth.
4. Now follows an extensive casting. Fertilizer should still be dispensed with until this time, as the cuttings will not form flowers.
5. Do not set the pot outdoors during the winter when using shoot tips from autumn cuttings. The cuttings can not grow in the cold and should be stored either in the winter garden, greenhouse or in their own premises.
6. After the first shoots appear and it is warm enough outside for the hibiscus Newbiscus XXL, it can be repotted or placed in the garden. Pay attention to the right substrate and the necessary amount of water.
7. Only when buds show up on the shoots may be fertilized, at the earliest from mid-May.
cutThe hibiscus Newbiscus XXL is the highlight of any garden with its lush flowers. In order to promote this growth and to bloom the plant attractively in the garden, a pruning is required, which is carried out twice a year. These are done at the end of October, when the trunks of the plant turn brown and dry, and from the end of May to the beginning of June, when the first fresh shoots appear.
In addition, withered flowers should be removed over the flowering period, which protects the hibiscus from energy loss. Due to the gigantic size of the flowers of Newbiscus XXL, the plant is deprived of high amounts of energy, which explains the frequent use of fertilizer. Removing the withered flowers can save the energy the hibiscus would otherwise spend to maintain it. For the care cut, simply use a clean secateurs and remove the flowers without moving the plant.
The pruning - a guide
1. For the pruning, choose a clean secateurs that can handle even thicker branches.
2. When pruning in October, the shoots are cut off, which are brown and dry. Because the giant hibiscus grows as a perennial, but is not really, it will lose all their green, so you can cut back strongly.
3. Cut the shoots back to a length of 20 to 30 centimeters. Be careful and do not leave shoots too long, otherwise the roots may suffer in winter.
4. Then remove the cut green and prepare for winter protection.
5. In May, when the first shoots sprout, you can then remove the remaining shoots from the previous year. These are still recognizable by their dark color, contrasting with the fresh shoots in spring green.
6. Work again here thoroughly and remove all shoots and then the cut green. The cut ensures effective growth of the plant, which is reflected in many leaves and even more flowers as in the previous year.
7. After pruning in May, continue with the above care instructions as follows. Do not forget to water the plant extensively.
overwinterAlthough the hibiscus Newbiscus XXL is a hardy plant that can withstand temperatures as low as -15° C, it should not be sent into the winter without preparation. Since it is a special breed of the classic giant hibiscus, which is actually only moderately hardy, a too cold winter without protection can be harmful to the roots. Even before pruning in October, the giant hibiscus will lose all its leaves and dry up more and more, which is the sign of winter preparation.
If you keep your giant hibiscus in the pot, you should simply place the entire plant in the conservatory or the greenhouse, even the apartment is suitable for this. Over the winter, the potted plant is no longer fertilized and watered regularly, only the quantities are significantly lower. Winter protection for specimens in the garden is prepared as follows:
1. After cutting the plant you should either use compost soil, bark mulch or lots of foliage for thermal insulation.
2. Generously spread the winter protection at the plant site in a suitable thickness. More is even useful for the giant hibiscus.
ThirdKeep the Giant Hibiscus in the winter light and protected from rain, snow and rain by a roof in wet areas. If necessary, the plant should be implemented.
4. In spring, the plant should not be too wet. Protect from rain and condensation.
Despite its robust nature and hardiness, the hibiscus Newbiscus XXL may suffer from certain problems. It has the advantage that pests are not interested in the plant and therefore no countermeasures against spider mites or aphids are required. Never turn the flowers of the hibiscus as it flowers, otherwise the flowers will fall off within a short time. Never store your giant hibiscus too dark.
Even if it does not tolerate a blazing sun over noon, darkness is more dangerous to the plant. Similarly, the mallow plant should be positioned away from flowering or fruit bearing plants. The reason for this is the ethylene secreted by these plants. They hinder the growth of the plant and promote the loss of flower buds. Likewise, you should never store potatoes, bananas, apples or similar fruits in the vicinity of the giant hibiscus, as these have the same effect on the hibiscus.
Tip: Watch your giant hibiscus early in the morning and you'll be amazed by the spectacle of what's on offer. From the first rays of the sun, the plant begins to open the flowers, which takes about 90 minutes and is really interesting.