The Content Of The Article:
In the creative garden design a lawn is indispensable. It creates optical space and space for the most diverse leisure activities. Only when you lay a lawn properly, develops a dense, hard-wearing green area, which also meets the aesthetic requirements. This premise also applies to sowing as well as the laying of turf. What matters when laying a lawn is shown in the following instructions. The overview of the costs would like to make a contribution as a decision aid between sowing and turf.
Create lawn by sowing
In order for sowing to produce a lush green lawn, various decisions must be made in advance, in conjunction with preparatory work. It is important to find the perfect seed mixture for the intended function of the green area as a decorative, sports or play lawn. Recommended here is the handle on high-quality products, because they grow more slowly. The result is a less frequent mowing, which should be of particular interest to hobby gardeners with tight free time. In addition, it is advisable to perform a soil analysis in terms of pH. The test result provides reliable information about the extent to which the soil is to be limed. Now the work can begin:
In the first step, the work focuses on the deep loosening of the soil. Although the turf roots will reach a maximum of 10 centimeters deep, the earth crumb should be broken deep into the soil to prevent waterlogging. How to proceed:
- The best time to start working is at the end of March / beginning of April
- Work with the spade or a tiller soil
- Remove all stones and roots
- In a heavily compacted soil, work in a 2 cm thick layer of sand
- Improve sandy soil with lime, clay flour and compost
- Then administer the starter fertilizer in the dosage according to the manufacturer's instructions
Tip: The more crumbly the soil is, the more effective the grass seed will be. Use a transfer sieve to remove stones and roots.
Level the surface
After the break, work the surface again with the rake. Use a bar to smooth the floor. Ideally, you have a garden roller available to attach a very loose soil a little. Alternatively, strap slats under the work shoes and walk once over the area. This effort, however, is only necessary if the Erdkrume is so airy that there is a risk of erosion or flushing even in light rainfall.
- The soil temperature is constantly more than 10 degrees Celsius
- Lay out the grass seeds with the spreader or by hand
- A dosage of 20-25 grams per square meter is considered appropriate
- The sowing in the longitudinal and transverse direction prevents false scatters
Tip: Very fine seeds are easier to spread when mixed with a little bird sand.
Fix soil and water
Immediately after sowing, the surface is fixed with the turf roller to ensure a good bottom closure. Alternatively, the tread plates under the shoes are used again. Since grass seeds are light germs, a cover is not available. Only in heavily wind-exposed locations does a thin layer of peat serve to protect against wind drift. Higher than 0.5 centimeters, the seed must not be covered. In the last step, you moisten the future lawn with fine shower spray extensively. In the following 2 to 3 weeks the freshly sown green area should be kept constantly moist. Keep the hose in the sky so that the water falls down like raindrops. If the area is larger than 100 square meters, it is worth investing in a lawn sprinkler.
At a height of 6-8 inches, the time is ripe for the first cut. Cut your new lawn back to 3-4 centimeters. An ornamental lawn will ideally not grow higher than 4-6 inches to trim it to about 3 inches. An exception is shadow lawn, which is not shortened below 5 centimeters.
Overview of the costs of sowing grass
Provided the work materials are available, such as spades, rakes, lawn rollers or spreaders, the costs for 100 square meters of lawn are at the following level:
- Lawn seeds: 10 to 25 euros
- Starting fertilizer: 10 to 15 euros
- In combination package: from 40 euros
Create a lawn that forms a tightly woven carpet on the same day; You fulfill this dream with turf. Without having to take a look at the cost overview, it is obvious that this variant requires a higher budget than the sowing. Since you as a trained hobby gardener have the opportunity to lay the turf by hand, keeps the financial effort within manageable limits. Everything goes smoothly with this guide:
- Fine crumbly soil preparation, as for sowing
- Apply starter fertilizer to the rolled subfloor and moisten slightly
- Lay the first roll along a straight edge
- If necessary, tighten cords for orientation
- Place all other turf rollers bump to bump and half offset
- Do not leave any gaps or gaps
- Only pass freshly laid turf over slats
- Cut edge pieces into shape with a sharp knife
Tip: The pieces of lawn left over after cutting are perfectly suited to fill in any gaps.
It is important to note that the soil preparation is completed on the day of delivery of the roller turf. After peeling in the turf school, turf will be processed within the next 24 hours. This is only possible if the rolls are cooled down to 3 degrees Celsius for transport to you as part of a special PreCool process. When the delivery arrives, the lawn has adapted to the ambient temperature so far that a longer storage is not possible.
Adequate water supply is critical to the success of running a turf lawn. Experience has shown that 95% of complications are due to poor irrigation. A well-founded guide therefore does not omit detailed information on this central topic:
- Still on the evening of the installation watering the lawn penetrates
- In normal weather, at least 15 liters per square meter are required
- Never irrigate under direct sunlight
- Repeat watering every 2 days during the next 2 weeks
The first cut
In favorable, damp-warm weather, the lawnmower will be used on the newly created lawn within 5 to 7 days. At the latest when the blades of grass have reached a height of about 5 centimeters, mowing is done for the first time. Since intensive irrigation is still taking place in this phase, it is initially reduced so that the grass surface can dry.
Do not crush the lawn before mowing
- The blades of grass do not cut off more than 30 percent
- Do not mow in bright sunshine
Overview of the costs for turf
Turf is used for a period of 12 to 14 months in huge turf schools, where it is peeled, cooled and transported. As a result, the costs are at a much higher level than when sowing. For 100 square meters of lawn, the average amounts are as follows:
- Playing turf: 250 to 300 euros without external installation
- Ornamental lawns: 300 to 350 euros without external installation
- Starting fertilizer: 10 to 15 euros
Creating a lawn properly is not a sideline project even for experienced hobby gardeners. It requires intensive planning and soil preparation so that the lawn grows well. This premise applies regardless of whether the new lawn is created by sowing or in the form of turf. Slightly more labor is required to sow grass seeds, whereas costs are kept at a low level. A turf will show you on the day of installation a rich green, dense appearance, which nevertheless has its price. It is advisable not to make the final decision solely according to the cost overview.As a hobby gardener, you should immerse yourself in this tutorial on creating lawns as well as assessing which challenge you can handle.