The Content Of The Article:
The basis for a happy, content dog life in the open air is a hut sheltered from wind and weather. Craftsmanship gifted hobby gardeners can not resist to build the retreat for their four-legged family member by hand. This is not only fun, but also creates plenty of room for individual, creative design. So that functionality and aesthetics go hand in hand, different factors have to be considered for an optimal construction. How to build an isolated kennel yourself is explained in 7 steps below.
The right size
Before purchasing the materials, the decision about the ideal size of the kennel should have been made. The better the dimensions are adapted to the dog's stature, the more comfortable he feels in his own four walls. In a too small hut it will be too warm for the animal. It forms condensation, so that rot and mold threaten. If the measurements are too large, the body temperature of the four-legged friend is insufficient for a warm climate. Even with proper insulation, it gets too cold in the winter in the winter. For orientation may serve the following rule of thumb:
- Height of the wooden hut = 1.2 times shoulder height
- Length of the wooden hut = 1.2 times the length of the dog (from the snout to the tip of the tail)
- Width of the doghouse = 1.2 times the turning width
- The shoulder height of the animal defines the height of the entrance.
In a nature-bound garden, high-quality garden wood, which is treated with an ecologically harmless impregnation, is recommended as a building material in the first place. In addition, Betonplan panels, also known as screen printing plates, provide additional stability and insulation. Ideal is a 4-8 mm thick birch quality through and through or a combination of eucalyptus with birch deck, which is harder to process than hardwood. The following materials and tools are required if you are building an insulated dog house with a decorative curved gable roof for a medium sized dog:
List of materials:
- 1 concrete plan in 966 x 656 x 4 mm for the underside
- 1 concrete plan in 900 x 590 x 4 mm for the top
- 2 wooden strips in 900 x 35 x 20 mm for the long side
- 3 wooden strips in 530 x 35 x 20 mm for the lateral side
- 1 wooden strip in 320 x 33 x 24 mm for the threshold
- 2 BFU 100 plates in 695 x 638 x 9 mm for the outsides
- 2 concrete plan in 695 x 590 x 4 mm for the insides
- 4 wooden strips in 590 x 35 x 20 mm for the sides
- 4 curved rails in 350 x 35 x 20 mm
- 2 wooden strips in 325 x 35 x 20 mm for the door sides
- 2 curved strips in 210 x 35 x 20 mm for the door arch
- 2 BFU 100 plates in 966 x 55 x 9 mm for the outside
- 2 concrete plan in 948 x 55 x 4 mm for the inside
- 4 wooden strips in 448 x 35 x 20 mm for the long side
- 6 wooden strips in 481 x 35 x 20 mm as transverse strips
- 1 BFU 100 in 990 x 760 x 4 mm for the top
- 1 concrete plan in 900 x 670 x 4 mm for the underside
- 3 concrete plan in 635 x 140 x 18 mm as roof rack
- 2 wooden strips in 900 x 35 x 30 mm as skirting boards
- Cordless Screwdriver
- Random Orbit Sander
- Hand and jigsaw
- caulking gun
- spade drills
- table saw
- To force
Instructions in 7 steps
Step 1: Mounting the base plate
The longitudinal and transverse ledges of the bottom plate and the side walls are screwed together with the smaller concrete plan plate for the upper side and the two concrete plan plates for the lateral walls of the kennel. So that the material does not break, all holes are first pre-drilled. The screw clamps facilitate the positioning and fixing of the individual parts considerably.
Step 2: The insulation
Insulation is indispensable so that your dog feels comfortable in his or her little home, whatever the weather. Double-walled sides and floors create the ideal conditions. Inside and outside are materials such as Styrofoam, Styrodur, wood wool, sheep wool or other cold-repellent material. Styrofoam sheets are used in this manual.
To do this, lay the side panels and the base plate with the wooden strips upwards to line them with the polystyrene panels. The sawn outsides are then fixed with PU adhesive.
Step 3: Build entrance door
So that the decorative door arch and the gable form succeed uniformly, proceed as follows:
- The concrete plan panel for the inside of the front wall is provided with an auxiliary hole
- To construct a simple circle, consisting of a wooden strip with 2 holes at a distance of 500 mm
- Screw one hole to the hole in the front wall
- Equip the other hole with a pencil to make a radius of 500 mm
- Similarly, in a radius of 205 mm move to mark the door arch
Step 4: Saw out the gable
For correct processing, both gable walls must have exactly the same contour. For this purpose, both parts are braced to grind a round roof shape. In addition, both the door side rails and the two door bow strips are positioned and marked on the door opening.
The strips for the roof structure prepare so:
- First, align the upper angle with the 4 curved strips on the 4 side rails
- Precisely position and mark all parts with each other
- Make sure that a closed edge forms under the round blank
Step 5: Mount gable
Following the accurate preparation in step 4, you can now glue the gable. To do this, align all strips individually, which is easy to do thanks to the marked markings. The gluing with the gable interior walls is then a breeze.
Step 6: Build the roof
Since the gable sides are now finished, the gable arch can be transferred to the 3 roof racks in order to saw them in shape. At the same time, it is now possible to determine the exact angle of the roof skirting and also to cut with the help of the table saw. To precisely position these end strips, the roof beams have to be adapted. To do this, transfer the dimensions of the end strips and shorten the corners of the roof rails accordingly. Then roof racks and strips are only to be glued and screwed.
To lend the roof scaffolding to the roof top BFU panel, a helping hand is now welcome. In this way you avoid too much time passing between the application of the glue and the tightening with the clamps.
Step 7: Final assembly
Now the construction of the doghouse is completed soon, because it is only the bottom of the roof bolt. Beforehand you mark the positions of the hinges which are screwed to the side walls for a good fit. These serve to open the roof without tools by pulling out the hinge pins. The moldings on the outer corners act as additional protection.
It is a matter of honor for the skilled do-it-yourselfer to build an individual dwelling made of wood for his dog. With this guide the project succeeds in 7 steps. The result is a decorative doghouse with a round pediment and a correspondingly shaped door arch. So that the four-legged family member feels comfortable in his home in any weather, walls and floor are isolated.