Is slug pellet poisonous? Dangers for children, cats and animals in the garden


The Content Of The Article:

Is slug pellet poisonous? Dangers for children, cats and animals in the garden: poisonous

Snails have to go! In it, all gardeners are without exception unanimous. Especially in rainy years, they stick to our plants. Once they do not leave them, until the green is not much left. Small blue snail grains promise a quick remedy. Scattered, they lure the unsuspecting slugs into their ruin. For whom are the grains still poisonous?

What is slug pellets?

The snail grain is called small poison bait. They are pressed into granules and are used as a control against snails. It is a so-called molluscicide. The use and shape have led to the harmless-sounding name Schneckenkorn.
  • the grains are bright blue to greenish
  • they are scattered in the garden
  • Snails are attracted by the fragrances contained therein
  • they eat the grain and quickly die of it
  • Some slug pellets act on contact
  • Snails take up the toxin via the mucous membrane
  • they usually die immediately on the spot
  • Dead snails must be picked up or covered with soil
  • Some slug pellets kill the snails only after days
  • they can retire to their shelters beforehand
  • should then pose no threat to other animals
Note: Slug pellets are toxic to all types of snails, regardless of whether they are harmful or harmless snail species.

Toxic agents in slug pellets

Schneckenkorn

Small children are curious and quickly put everything in their mouths, especially if they feel unobserved by adults. A few of the blue little snail grains are enough to cause the child bad symptoms of intoxication. Keep slug pellets so that children do not get their hands on them.
Bear in mind, however, that when the grain is spilled in the garden, it can be detected by children and taken unnoticed. They will not be able to keep your child away from the garden for a long time, nor will you have any guarantee that all the snail grains will have eaten away after a certain period of time. Even after days, snail grains can be left lying around and pose a significant hazard potential for children.
Note: Slug grain is also toxic to adult humans. However, danger is less, as they would hardly eat the slug on purpose.

Symptoms of poisoning in children

If a child has taken snail grain, severe symptoms of poisoning appear within a few hours. However, if you have been observed or otherwise aware of the use, you should not wait until the first symptoms appear. If you have not noticed the toxin intake, the following symptoms of intoxication can be regarded as a clear alarm sign:
  • increased salivation
  • dizziness
  • Nausea through to vomiting

First measures for poisoning of children

Parents or other caregivers should call the emergency medical service immediately if they suspect slime poisoning. But even if the source of the poisoning is not yet known, such symptoms must be treated quickly. Any home remedies are out of place here, can even hurt in ignorance of the true situation. Get the child to spit out leftovers. Since some poisons can damage health very quickly and irreparably and even have a lethal effect, no valuable time must be wasted. Support the attending physician by facilitating the diagnosis:
  • When you call, indicate the poisoning you suspect
  • Take some of the vomit with you to the doctor
  • Take the packaging of the toxin or the label with you

Slug and pets

On the packaging of slug pellets are the warnings that indicate the danger to pets, usually printed very small. Some products even say that they are safe for pets. For these reasons, the slug grain is used by many animal owners without hesitation against snails. But slug pellets containing metaldehyde can quickly become a danger to pets.
  • Dogs are attracted to the snail grain like magic
  • especially small, curious dogs could eat it fast
  • even for a cat, the grain is dangerous
  • Toxins stick to the paws
  • when the paws lick, the toxic substances enter their bodies
  • Other pets, such as rabbits, also react to the poison
Not only the spread grain is a temptation, even open packages, which are easily accessible, can develop into a deadly trap for pets. Then the danger is particularly great that within a short time a high dose of poison is taken. It may be too late until the first symptoms appear and the person notices the toxin intake.

Symptoms in pets

Slug pellets against nudibranchs

The latency period until the poison works is short on metaldehyde. About 1 to 3 hours after taking the poison, acute signs of intoxication occur. These can vary in severity, depending on the amount of poison entering the bloodstream.
  • viscous salivation, panting
  • Vomiting and / or diarrhea
  • muscle tremors
  • palpitations
  • incoordination
  • often convulsions to coma
  • Fever reaches critical values ​​over 41 degrees Celsius
  • High fever destroys body proteins and body cells
Note: The vomit and the feces have a bluish-green color. This is a clear sign that a snail grain poisoning is present.

Measures in the poisoning of pets

There is no antidote to metaldehyde. If you catch your pet eating the slug pellets or observe the listed symptoms of intoxication, you should consult a veterinarian as soon as possible. They themselves can not do anything to alleviate the consequences of poisoning, except to keep the animal from further eating the grains. The veterinarian must bring the animal to vomit, so that as few toxins enter his bloodstream and can do their bad effects.
Drugs for binding toxins, intestinal irrigation and artificial coma may be required as well. All this makes the rescue operation a costly affair that unfortunately often remains unsuccessful. If the life of the animal can be saved, long-term consequences can not be ruled out. In particular, the poison could have significantly and permanently damaged the liver.
Tip: If the animal has vomited at home, take some of it with you to the doctor. An analysis could provide valuable information about the poisoning, especially if the type of poisoning should still be unclear.

Video Board: Slug and Snail Bait Poisoning in Dogs + Cats (shake + bake your pet).

© 2019 EN.Garden-Landscape.com. All Rights Reserved. When Copying Materials - The Reverse Link Is Required | Site Map