Is ivy poisonous to humans and animals?


The Content Of The Article:

Is ivy poisonous to humans and animals?: poisonous

In Germany, he is therefore one of the most popular decoration plants. However, the climbing plant always appears in the lists of plants, which the hobby gardener is warned about, as it is considered toxic. But is ivy basically poisonous to humans and animals?

Toxic or not - it depends on the plant

When Ivy is warned as a poisonous plant, this is in principle completely correct. However, it must be differentiated here. For the ivy generally referred to as Hedera is only in the fruitful form of the Hedera helix 'Arbonrescens', an age-related ivy, which is propagated by cuttings and forms only small shrubs, really dangerous. But not as ground cover and in the youth form, the Hedera helix. The common ivy is therefore clearly one of the poisonous plants, the consumption of which can be extremely dangerous in large quantities. Particularly poisonous are the older plants, which then carry off the tempting-looking but extremely toxic berries even in advanced age and greater stature height. These berries grow on flowering shoots, which the ivy, however, forms only from a certain stature height, which usually reaches the plant only after 20 years.

Poisonous berries - where are the dangers?

The flowers of ivy bloom in hemisphere shape and are yellow-green in color. The berries, which develop from it, are violet to deep black colored. Mostly the poisonous berries hang in relatively high altitude, but in the age of the common ivy, which is planted as cutting on the soil and reaches only shrub height, the berries are also to be found in handle height in the garden. The toxins falcarinol and alpha-hederin are contained in these berries. As a rule, however, the consumption of larger amounts of berries is unlikely, as they taste extremely bitter. However, should poisonous signs nevertheless occur in humans or animals, it is essential to notify the poison emergency service, who knows about such cases and may possibly save lives. In case of skin contact rinsing with cold water is a first aid measure to prevent worse consequences. It should definitely be consulted a doctor.

Ivy leaves - not without it!

The berries are not the only parts of the plant that are poisonous. In common ivy, the leaves may be poisonous. In healthy people, skin redness may occur on contact. Even wet pustules can be one of the skin reactions that are not life threatening, but very unpleasant. Basically, it is therefore recommended to wear gloves when handling the vine. What can be uncomfortable with healthy people, is generally worse for allergy sufferers when skin contact is established.
Effect, toxins and symptoms at a glance:
  • Pulp contains highly toxic saponins or hederin
  • Consumption of only 2 to 3 berries leads to the first signs of intoxication
  • Consumption causes headache, vomiting and nausea
  • Body reacts to the poison with a hopping and fast pulse
  • Irritations of the stomach and intestine as well as vomiting diarrhea are triggered by berry consumption
  • High concentrations of toxins can cause seizures, shock, respiratory arrest and death
  • Skin contact leads to allergic reactions and dermatitis, as well as weeping pustules

Dangers of ivy for children

Climbing ivy - Hedera helix

Basically, it is advisable not to tolerate ivy in places that children can easily reach. Especially in the time when the ivy carries berries that purely from the outside, children to put them in his mouth, caution is required. The berry pulp, which contains the most poison of the plant, is actually highly toxic to children. Even the consumption of three berries can lead to poisoning. The ingestion of the berries can lead to symptoms such as burning in the throat, headache, diarrhea, vomiting, convulsions, shock and death by respiratory arrest in children. The ivy leaves are, of course, when children put them in the mouth, not completely non-toxic, but in contrast to the berries are only a minor evil that z. B. can cause rashes.

Dangers of ivy for pets

  • Pets that eat ivy show different degrees of poisoning reactions.
  • In general, ivy is poisonous to dogs, cats, rodents, horses, rabbits, guinea pigs, rabbits, hamsters and even birds.
  • The symptoms are usually similar to those in humans. Thus, vomiting, arousal, diarrhea and convulsions are observed.
  • A surprise, however, is that ivy, although poisonous to horses, does not seem to provoke reactions in donkeys.

Taming the ivy - for the sake of safety!

Ivy is an undemanding plant that likes to spread freely. Therefore, it should be regularly dammed for safety reasons. The hobby gardener should be aware of skin contact, avoid using gloves.The ivy can be simply pulled out of the soil together with roots, whereby care must be taken that the roots are completely removed. Otherwise, the ivy beats out of the rest roots again. Since toxic ivy plants contain a resinous oil that can cause severe skin and lung problems when the plant is burnt, this type of disposal should be strictly avoided.

Worth knowing about the ivy soon

The common ivy that grows in most of our gardens is poisonous in all parts of the plant, but only in high doses. Toxic ingredients are Î ± hederin and falcarinol. Ivy is also a medicinal plant at the same time. For this reason, the ivy in ancient times and in antiquity was considered a sacred plant. Small amounts of prepared ivy leaves bring relief in bronchitis. Efeutee from dried leaves has a spasm and expectorant effect. They are also popular in paediatrics.
Did you know,
... that there is also a poisonous ivy? - It is the American poison ivy or oak leaf ivy poison. This looks very different than our ivy in this country and is not to be confused. Even small children are taught that they have to be careful of this plant. It thrives everywhere and it comes every year to countless poisonings.

Video Board: 10 Indoor Plants that are Poisonous and Dangerous.

© 2019 EN.Garden-Landscape.com. All Rights Reserved. When Copying Materials - The Reverse Link Is Required | Site Map