The Content Of The Article:
Aerify with hollow spoons
Aerating with hollow spines is a method that is preferred by professionals. The spoons are deeply stung about 7 cm deep into the ground, through the tubes pushes the bottom up and is caught by a container, so not laboriously the spoon needs to be cleaned at each stroke. The spines have a diameter of 2 to 2.5 cm, the distances between two spines are about 15 cm. This ensures that the holes are not staked too close to each other, which in turn could damage the lawn. This type of aerator is offered by different manufacturers, each with different numbers of spoons. The principle remains the same, but some of the devices have several spoons side by side, which may sometimes require a lot of physical strength when used manually. Useful and easy to handle are 2 to 3 Spoons, which can be stung into the ground without undue effort. For each piercing, the device is raised and re-inserted into the ground. Due to the physical effort, this method is only worthwhile for smaller areas, but larger pieces of grass can be processed with an electrically operated device. These can also be borrowed from many specialist retailers.
The holes thus created are filled with coarse sand after aeration, which promotes drainage as a permanent drainage and allows much more air to reach the turf roots. This measure additionally prevents the occurrence of waterlogging due to excessive soil compaction in the ground. Tip: To make the job easier, the sand to be filled can be mixed with lawn fertilizer and seeds. This also prevents birds from picking up grass seed as a welcome food.
Aerate with the Aerator and solid spoons
An aerator with fixed spines has the same effect as the devices with the hollow spines. Here, however, the Spoons are often attached to a rotating wheel that rotates by the movement, so that the device must not be raised and stabbed for each operation again. In this method, no soil is excavated through the hollow tube, the soil is instead displaced and compacted, which is why some professionals prefer the other measure. But even here, deep into the ground, a hole is stung, which stimulates the activities of soil organisms, supplies the roots with air and allows the turf roots to absorb nutrients better. The aerator requires not so much effort, which makes it ideal for small gardens with correspondingly small lawns.
- Fill the holes with sand, dense root system prevents the soil from drying out
- For a small garden often enough the processing with a digging fork, which is stung into the ground at regular intervals
- aerating can be very time consuming for larger areas, here is the purchase or rent of an electrical appliance to consider
- be sure to keep the season for aeration, a later treatment may damage the turf
If you want a really nice, strong lawn with rich green and strong growth, you should definitely aerify. It is a sustainable soil aeration that significantly improves the lawn, as well as the soil structure. It does not matter if it is a large or a small lawn, because only a healthy soil with strong turf roots is able to prevail against moss and weeds. Aerating does the best for the lawn, which benefits the rest of the garden.
Worth knowing about aerfication soon
- An aerator promotes gas exchange in the soil.
- Long pointed hollow spikes penetrate into the ground and ensure that aeration and the outflow of rainwater is possible again.
- The best time to aerate your lawn are the months of May to September, as the lawn development is in full swing.
- Depending on the load on the lawn, it is worthwhile during this time to aerate it once a month to ensure optimal growth.
- When selecting the aerator, use stingers that reach a depth of 8 cm and pierce 350 holes per square meter.
There is a wide range of aerators, of very different kinds. The best are undoubtedly the professional equipment, as they are e.g. to be used on golf courses. But these are expensive, really expensive. If you want to aerate enough lawns that such a device would be worthwhile, you should first inquire whether there is not to be leased near one. If this is not the case, please visit goettingen.mieten.gartentechnik.com/gartentechnik/aerifizierer/. The purchase of such an expensive aerator is rarely worthwhile, the loan is much better.
- The cheapest solution are sure lawn fan shoes, simply nail shoes that can be strapped to any shoe. The tines are 10 to 13 cm long. The shoes cost about 10 euros.
- Lawn fan with double-sided blades. Working width about 40 cm, one side blades about 10 cm long, the other side 20 cm. Fan without stem about 12 euros.
- Aerifying fork - to use like a spade, one stabs in the lawn. Has three or four prongs. Costs about 50 euros. Although there are cheaper devices, but they usually do not last long. You can also use grave or pitchforks.
- Aerial fork with hollow tines - has the advantage that about 10 mm wide holes are punched out of the lawn. These can be filled up with sand. Due forks are also available from about 50 euros. The work is laborious and hardly suitable for larger lawns.
- Hand-guided Verti-Drain 060 - working width 60 cm, hole spacing 4 x 4 cm, working depth 15 cm, for small and less resilient surfaces, about 65 euros, both with full and with Hohlspoons usable
- Cheap are electrical appliances that have two functions that scarify and aerate. They have a scarifying roller and a fan roller. From about 100 euros different models are available. There are also significantly more expensive.
- Decisive for the quality of the work is the hole density. That's why professional equipment is simply the better choice.
- Ideal is a hole density of 400 to 500 holes per m². 200 to 250 are enough, which often does not bring much.
- The penetration depth of the hollow spines should be at least 5 cm. Slitting is often a good complement to aerating.
- The spoons or spines only displace the earth, more effectively are hollow spines, which lift the earth and carry it out.
- It gets a lot of air to the grass roots. The metabolism is optimized, the growth of the grass increased.
- Aerification is done after scarifying. Especially the spring, at the beginning of the growing season is well suited.
- A scarifier just slits the lawn and removes dead lawn and plant parts.
- However, lower-lying problems are only remedied by aeration. The deeper the soil is worked, the better it is for him.