The Content Of The Article:
- Preparation of the lawn airing
- How do I ventilate my lawn?
- The right time to air the lawn
- Scarify the lawn with a lawnmower
- Worth knowing about the lawn airing shortly
So that a lawn can grow well, gets enough air and its roots are watered regularly, it should be ventilated and scarred at regular intervals. And so it goes:
Preparation of the lawn airingBefore you can start airing, clear the lawn of leaves and other debris. Then the lawn is mowed. In order to remove dead grass, weeds and moss, a rake can be used, albeit with narrow tines. With this rake can then be combed the grass surface, so to speak. This approach is only suitable for smaller areas, because over time, this work is very strenuous. This is easier and faster with a so-called scarifier, which not only removes weeds and moss, but also loosens up the top layer. This keeps the lawn healthy. The turf should be scarred around the one to twice a year. If you do not have such a device, you do not necessarily have to buy the scarifier extra. There are also many hardware stores that lend these devices.
- Free the lawn from leaves and other foreign objects
- Apply scarifier for large areas / rake for small areas
- Scarify 1 to 2 times a year
How do I ventilate my lawn?If you have a garden floor, ventilation is even more important as it has grown very densely. The grass roots are particularly hard to penetrate deep into the soil on this type of soil. In addition, they are poorly supplied with oxygen and water. In addition, over time, the soil may become so dense that rainwater can not drain away and remain in the lawn.
- When airing holes are first stung in the lawn. This is also called aerasing in the jargon.
- The holes can either be pierced by hand with a simple fork in the lawn or with an electrical device. There are special devices in the specialized trade, which are of great advantage especially for large lawns.
- Another option is nail shoes. These shoes are simply strapped under the normal shoes. And then just walk across the grass. This operation can be combined directly with - lawn mowing, which saves time.
- After the holes have been stabbed into the lawn, some fine-grained sand is sprinkled into the holes. This ensures that the soil remains loose and that the roots are supplied with water.
The right time to air the lawnIt is ideal if the lawn is aired in the period from April, provided it is nice spring weather. In this context, one should know that the grass only grows at temperatures between 7 and 9° C. Therefore, it makes little sense to start earlier. In general, however, there is no ideal time, because the warm weather has started earlier and earlier in recent years. Many gardeners are already scaring their lawn in March. These works are usually completed in autumn between September and October. It is definitely a great advantage if the lawn is scarred for the last time in autumn, so that again moss can be eliminated and the lawn is perfectly prepared for the winter.
- Lawn will air from April
- Minimum temperature 7 to 9° C
- last care in autumn between september and october
Scarify the lawn with a lawnmowerAnother interesting alternative is to scarify the lawn with the lawn mower. As a rule, almost all lawnmowers can be converted with additional scarifying blades. However, this requires a very powerful mower because the scarifying requires a lot of power. Critics in this area, however, claim that this form of scarification does not quite achieve such perfect results. In addition, the replacement of the mower blades is often very annoying. If you still want to prefer this method, you should start the lawnmower on the lawn. Namely, when the mower is put into operation on a hard ground, the blades may be damaged. If the lawnmower is then turned on on the lawn, it should be set in motion immediately. Otherwise, it can lead to ugly circular cuts.
- Scarifying blades and a powerful lawn mower are needed
- First start the lawnmower on the grass
- Immediately start the lawnmower on the lawn
Worth knowing about the lawn airing shortly
- The lawn should be as dry as possible, wet soil makes work difficult.
- Test the scarifier first and see if it is set correctly. Best on a small lawn.
- The ideal cutting depth is usually 2 to 3 cm.
- Who prefers a natural green area with wild herbs, which should choose 5 to 6 cm.
- If possible, only move the unit in one direction. Ideal is to change the direction every time.
- Elektrovertikutierer are available in the trade from about 100 €.
- Lime helps against moss growth. But limescale only after scarifying.
- For a well-kept garden, the lawn should be ventilated and scarified.
If you want to do some manual work and make nail shoes yourself, you need an old pair of shoes and plywood, which should be 10 mm thick:
- First, put the shoes on the plywood and pull the outline of both shoes on it.
- Thereafter, about 10 mm are added to the recorded outlines again and then sawed out.
- Now the soles are almost done. Only the main thing is missing: the nails. In the cut wood for 8 to 10 holes are drilled,...
- ... in which then light construction plate nails are taken. The nails should be a bit thicker.
- With this process, the nail soles are completed. Finally, they are attached to the old pair of shoes with wood screws.
- For this you take out the insole, screwing the soles tight and puts the insoles again.
- Now the nail shoes are finished and ready for use.
Tip at the end: Nail shoes not only provide the health of the lawn, but also help the user to healthy outdoor exercise.