The Content Of The Article:
Whenever the summer time comes to an end after an eventful, "well-tended" garden year and autumn is just around the corner, there is always a need for action again with a view to a healthy lawn. Although one or the other hobby gardener may sometimes seem to put his "protective coat" over the greenery, ice, cold, snow and wetness "play their part" every once in a while, making the lawn tired in the spring and drained looks like.
Prepare lawn for the fall
In order to prevent this, and to prepare the green space in the home garden optimally for the upcoming "uncomfortable time", fertilizing the lawn in autumn is almost essential. After all, only in this way can it really be possible to let the turf come over the winter unscathed.
Before fertilizing, however, some final work should definitely be done:
- Leaves and small branches rake from the lawn
- remove coarse moss residue one last time (both are great for compost!)
- grass clippings
- Cutting edges
- moisten very slightly (!) once more
- Fertilize grass evenly
Basically, experienced hobby gardeners advise against fertilizing turf in the fall. Because of the comparatively high proportion of nitrogen, which is common for traditional fertilizers, the blades of grass are, so to speak, stimulated to grow again. However, this makes them particularly vulnerable to (cold) damage and a lack of nutrients in winter. Frost damage should also be taken into account with conventional products. Unless you use the new autumn fertilizers, which are characterized by a particularly low nitrogen content and an extremely high potassium content.
As you know today, this combination of nutrients is the best prerequisite for even sensitive lawns to get through the winter well, because the cell structures are strengthened in a special way. But that's not all, as the potassium content increases the production of plant cell juice, which also increases the durability of the green.
Fertilize lawns efficiently - keep your household economically
Those who do not want to spend so much money on the comparatively expensive autumn fertilizer, but instead want to bet on cheaper alternatives that achieve a similar effect, rely on preparations containing sulfur, potassium and magnesium from the gardening trade. These have a comparatively low cost to book - and the lawn thanks it in the spring yet through a rich, full green. Particularly noteworthy characteristics of special autumn fertilizer are the following:
- high nutritional content
- minimized nitrogen content
- A needs-based drug delivery is guaranteed
- Risks of possible fungal attack of the lawns are minimized
- a high mineral and trace element content ensures the best nutrient supply and maximum durability
- the special composition of the ingredients ensures optimized drug delivery
- There is no risk of burns or other risks
- first-class spreading properties
- a very good long-term effect is guaranteed
- Washouts are thus avoided
- a rich green, full and resilient lawn in spring
Of course, organic fertilizer products should definitely not be used. As tests have shown, the nutrient content is sometimes too low - and nevertheless optimal availability of the substances contained therein can not be guaranteed to 100 percent. If one considers that these fertilizer products are usually comparatively expensive, then one does in any case well to give it up altogether.
Fertilize autumnal grass - the most important points
- The autumn fertilization should take place in October or November. It is fertilized on a rainy day, so that the fertilizer can spread well. When dry, water the lawn following the fertilization process.
- Autumn fertilization strengthens the resilience of the grasses against cold, wet and frosty weather. In winter, the lawn suffers. With the fertilization one can prevent diseases. In addition, the lawn can then start better in the spring. Fertilization should also prevent moss and weeds from spreading in the lawn.
- In autumn fertilization should be paid to a high potassium content.This promotes soil-borne microorganisms, improves frost resistance and increases the durability of the lawn. It is important that not too much nitrogen is included. This is especially important in the spring.
- A fertilizer cart is suitable for spreading because it allows the fertilizer to be best dosed. So it can not come to over-fertilization and everything is distributed evenly. When hiring, you should strictly adhere to the instructions on the packs.