The Content Of The Article:
The lucky bamboo or lucky bamboo has been known in Asian culture for an incredible 4,000 years as a plant with magical powers. Perhaps the oldest herbal lucky charm of the people to provide for health and old age, and he also brings great wealth. The reason for the attribution of all these talents is explained quickly, if you read the following care instructions: A lucky bamboo grows even in very low light and hardly needs water, who can thrive in such bad living conditions, is certainly right as a special lucky child and Power-monger worshiped.
Short profile of the lucky bamboo
- The lucky bamboo is not a bamboo, but a dragon tree (Dracaena)
- The lucky bamboo are Dracaena fragrans stedneri and D. sanderiana
- The home of these plants lies in the tropics of Asia and Africa
- With proper attitude undemanding and easy-care plant
- Can set accents in trendy rod shape
- But it can also be grown into a bushy houseplant of a mighty size
- Popular lucky charm, the u. a. is given away for Christmas and New Year's Eve
The tropical plant is used to a warm and rainy climate, with shading by the canopy of higher plants, so these conditions must be adjusted in the room as well as possible:
- Site in partial shade or with some sun
- Without permanent direct sunlight
- Temperatures over 18° C
- The Lucky Bamboo needs a high humidity around it
tip The plant, also called Happy Bamboo, will delight you in the garden or on the balcony. Here, however, you must always have the temperatures in view, the lucky bamboo may only go outside if the thermometer does not drop below 18° C even at night. If the air is dry outside, the "water bamboo" must be sprayed more often here as well.
Pot and substrate
The Lucky Bamboo can be kept in several ways:
- In a small vessel filled with water, it is often sold
- In moist plug-in compound
- In hydroponic substrate
- In other plant granules such as Perlite
- In commercial soil for green plants
Condition for the attitude in earth is that the lucky bamboo has formed roots. Not a matter of course, especially around public holidays are sold in the trade mostly only freshly cut lucky-bamboo pieces, which had no time to plant roots. You should first root these plant parts before you plant them, this is best done by first holding the pieces in water. After some time, roots will form, when they have reached a few centimeters in length (hand width), you can plant the lucky bamboo. If the lucky bamboo piece is quite thin and may have gotten even higher in the water, you should use a support rod with the pot.
tip - If you hold the lucky bamboo without a substrate, theoretically a narrow vessel is enough, but in practice this often leads to the Lucky Bamboo falling over quickly. For more stability ensures a heavy planter or a narrow and tall glass vase, but has a wide base. Or you form small landscapes with your Feng Shui Bamboos, several stalks side by side in a box filled with gravel.
Pour or add water
A lucky bamboo in soil or substrate is poured as normal, but please with soft water, lime he does not tolerate very well. Whether hydroponics or soil - the water supply should be so regular that the substrate is always slightly moist.
If you keep the Lucky Bamboo in pure water without substrate, you usually just need to add water so that the roots are covered. A complete water change is possible, for. For example, if dirt has entered the water, remember to add the necessary nutrients to that water.
In any form of posture, you should pay close attention that the roots of the lucky bamboo never dry or dry out.In addition, a Lucky Bamboo must be poured in many locations "from the outside", namely with the flower syringe, namely to produce the desired high humidity. If you give water, in whatever form, please do not shock your lucky bamboo with cold tap water, but keep stale water at room temperature.
When and how the lucky bamboo must be fertilized depends on the attitude:
- A Lucky Bamboo in soil does not need any additional fertilizer the first trimester after potting
- Then it is fertilized with normal liquid fertilizer for green plants in low concentration
- A lucky bamboo in inorganic hydroponics and substrates needs regular nutrients
- It is the same with the lucky bamboo kept permanently in the water without a substrate
- The fertilizer must be given here regularly and frequently, about every two weeks
- Every time only a little fertilizer is added to the water
Lucky bamboo in water can be placed in a larger vessel if it gets too high.
Lucky bamboo in substrate should be repotted annually into new substrate, with thorough cleaning of the roots (disease prevention).
Like any dragon tree, the lucky bamboo can be cut very well, and there are several reasons to do so:
- You can turn a stick into a bushy plant
- For this purpose, thin side shoots are cut off continuously and everywhere
- There are branches that gradually become lush
- The distant side shoots can be used for propagation
- Dead, rotten and sick parts of plants are cut away
- This has to be done a good deal into the healthy area
You can multiply your lucky bamboo in three ways:
- Propagation by seeds is basically possible but practically difficult
- Seeds can only be obtained from flowers
- Flowers are only formed by older plants from the 10th year of life
- These must then be fertilized
- Even the removal of the tiny seeds is a puzzle work
- Propagation from seeds is therefore rather not recommended
- Propagation by cuttings is easy, but does not always work
- For this purpose side shoots are separated directly on the trunk
- You can z. For example, use the side shoots that you gain during the parenting session
- Use a sharp and clean (disinfected) knife
- The side shoots should each be eight to ten inches long
- They are placed in a container with a little water
- Cover with foil or plastic bag increases the humidity
- When the first roots appear, the young plants are transformed into the growing medium
- Similarly, multiplication works by division
- The trunk is cut into pieces ten centimeters long
- After rooting in water, the plants can be transformed into substrate
tip - At times you can read that a lucky bamboo should not be cut in any case, because then he would come in and because you would cut your luck. Probably almost a philosophical question, but common sense says the opposite: Every dragon tree thrives by trimming, and the lucky bamboo that is just the reason why he is worshiped as a lucky charm - so disinfect knife and ran to the lucky bamboo!
The hibernation of the lucky bamboo is not a problem, you can easily cultivate it, at the same temperature as possible. Avoid pulling (location at the window!), Moisten the dry heating air by regularly spraying the lucky bamboo.
Two types of dragon trees are sold under the label Glücksbambus or Lucky Bamboo:
- Dracaena sanderiana, often many small plants in the arrangement
- Dracaena fragrans of the variety "Stedneri", mostly solitary and long stalked
- Dracaena fragrans Stedneri is also available as a larger plant (around 30 cm)
frequently asked Questions
What can I do against yellow rot in the lucky bamboo?
Sudden yellowing of the strain without recognizable skin deficiencies is not uncommon in Lucky Bamboo, the cause of this yellow rot is suspected in an infection with unknown pathogens (bacteria, mold).Only fast action in the first yellow spot can save the Lucky Bamboo from decaying: Cut off the yellow trunk, with gloves and a disinfected knife and far into the healthy part, clean the pot and replace the substrate, usually the lucky bamboo drives out again.
Is it true that the lucky bamboo is poisonous?
Yes, which usually should not cause you any headaches, a human should already take up quite a bit of the saponins contained in the Lucky Bamboo, and why would he do that. However, if your household has children at one age level who can conceive of a lucky bamboo or a drink from the jar, you should, as a precaution, give up the good luck charm (as well as inquisitive pets).