The Content Of The Article:
Mice, especially house and forest mice, have always been found in the homes and gardens of humans as a cultural successor. For this reason, they are among the most common vermin, especially in rural areas, and it is therefore necessary to have a suitable means of expelling small mammals. But not all of them really work effectively.
Means against miceThere are a variety of means and opportunities offered to distribute the rodents. Above all, the methods below ensure that the mice are only displaced and not necessarily brutally killed. Apart from the use of a cat of course, the best mouse catcher in the world. Please note that many of the methods have to be used over a longer period of time. to bear fruit. In addition, the following tips can help to stem the infestation immediately:
- Store all food in lockable containers
- Place garbage bins as far away from the house as possible
- Thoroughly clean your living rooms and the garden so as not to offer more nesting possibilities for the animals
- Do not leave pet food open for dogs, cats or other rodents
UltrasonicIn recent years, ultrasound machines have become more and more popular for repelling the mice. These are electrically powered devices that cause an ultrasonic sound that is inaudible to humans. This is kept at a frequency that is uncomfortable for the mice and for this reason you should no longer be in the range specified by the manufacturer. In general, this concept sounds pretty good, as high frequencies hurt, and so it is natural for animals to avoid the radius. The following values are important for the devices:
- Area of effect in m²: 25 m² are recommended for single rooms and over 100 m² for the garden
- Frequency range in kHz: 30 - 65 kHz are recommended here
- Number of speakers: one speaker is sufficient in most cases
- Sound pressure in dB: different depending on the manufacturer, 160 dB usually the maximum
Several devices are already available on the market, with costs ranging from ten to 60 euros. These vary greatly in quality and should therefore be compared to a purchase necessarily. Manufacturers of ultrasound equipment include:
Tip: Some of these ultrasound devices even work against annoying insects such as mosquitoes. This makes them doubly effective, because they also protect you from the bites of the bloodsuckers.
catsCats are by nature the best way to effectively expel and in many cases decimate mice. This variant is the only one in the list that is deadly to the animals, but these are not comparable to classic mousetraps. A cat effectively counteracts the mouse population within the home and garden, and is extremely successful in that it has been domesticated over a period of several millennia for this task. When using cats, however, you must pay attention to a few points, especially if you live in the countryside or your cat is a freewheeler:
- Female cats should be sterilized
- This prevents the chance of a possible pregnancy
- depending on the size of the property at least two cats are recommended
- The purchase of kittens is not a problem as it increases the hunting instinct early on
Cats can theoretically leave the hunting of the mice to themselves. However, you have to expect that there are cats that do not have a big hunting instinct. However, even the presence of a cat can drive out the mice, because they know their predators. For this you can use the cat litter of your pet. Mice avoid the smell of cat urine and for this reason it is advisable to use this shyness against them. Put a little used cat litter in a bag and place it in the already visited areas or paths of the mice. Do not close the bag. The longer you use this method, the faster the rodents will go.
Tip: When using the cat litter method, be sure to keep your cat's litter box clean at all times. If the actual litter box is no longer walkable in the eyes of the cat, they are happy to look for these bags in case of an emergency, which can lead to a large sour.
turpentineAs you've probably noticed so far, mice are sensitive to odors. You should take advantage of this and use turpentine as a home remedy. The strong smell of turpentine rises immediately into the fine nostrils and ensures that the mice avoid the places where they smell the resin outflows. Use as follows:
- find the mouse holes first
- Now, soak cotton towels with turpentine
- Alternatively, pour turpentine into a flat jar and dunk the cotton cloth into it
- Now place the towels directly in front of the holes
- It is best to plug the holes with the cloths to prevent the mice from getting into the living spaces
- the more you use the towels, the greater the range of effect
Plants, oils and spices against miceMice can also be reliably sold with fragrant plants, their oils, herbs and spices. Above all, this method offers:
- fresh peppermint (offered by Mentha piperita) or its oil
- fresh chamomile (bot. Matricaria chamomilla) or its oil
- fresh mint (offered by Mentha spicata) or its oil
- eucalyptus oil
- cayenne pepper
- chilli flakes
- Oleander leaves
Live traps are an effective method, but very time consuming. The animals are lured with baits as in the known fall traps and then caught in the cage as soon as they attack the bait. They must remain there until they are again exposed by you. When using live traps, be sure to check the traps no later than every twelve hours and expose trapped mice outdoors. The mice must be exposed to at least 500 meters from their house and land, so they do not find their way back to their colony. Depending on the size of the colony, you may need to use multiple traps or empty them two to three times a day. The cost is between ten and 20 euros per case.