The Content Of The Article:
Cut the mirror correctly, cut it to sizeA mirror is a component that is not easy to process. Although there is a mass of mirrors commercially available, it may be necessary to tailor your own mirrors.
Or you want to keep an old mirror and bring it into a new shape.
Then, cropping the mirror is also required.
What do you need for mirror cutting?
It is clear that you can not proceed with a saw, a flex or a cutter with a mirror. A mirror is extremely sensitive. It breaks fast and also involves an enormous risk of injury. Therefore, the cutting of a mirror succeeds only with special tools. Usually this is a glass cutter.
This is available in two versions. On the one hand there are diamonds as cutting tools, on the other hand they have a sharp metal wheel for cutting. You can get a glass cutter at the hardware store. It costs about 20 to 30 euros. Incidentally, you can also have your mirror cut there, you do not trust yourself.
Very important to the success is the quality of the tool. With an inferior tool it is likely that one
damaged the mirror, so you should not save here.
The cutting of the mirror
Actually, the term cutting something misleading, because in the end, the glass is not cut, but only scratched and then at this point
Broken. For the cutting process, place the mirror on a smooth, even surface. Thereafter, a ruler or other suitable device is placed along the interface.
Now the area to be cut has to be cleaned. This works very well with a cotton ball, which is soaked with nail polish remover. Go along the edge of the ruler and you're done!
Now comes the main work: the mirror is cut to size:
- To do this, you drive along the ruler with the glass cutter. It should be noted that the breaking point is not created directly on the ruler, but a few millimeters next to it.
- The glass cutter is attracted to the body with light pressure.
- There should be a slightly scratching sound during the cutting process. It is the typical noise that occurs when glass is damaged.
- Now the mirror is placed on an edge and broken.
- If you have done everything right, you now hold the mirror in the desired size in the hand.