The Content Of The Article:
- Caution: Species protection and beneficials
- home remedies
- Remove hills
- Mole hill and garden maintenance
Dipping molehills on the beloved lawn, the anger is often great. The little animals are really great helpers. Those who still want to drive away, often resort to hard bandages - without appreciable success. It is quite possible to eliminate the hills and move moles to move. And in a very simple way and at low prices. Only the right knowledge must exist so that hobby gardeners can enjoy their green oasis without disruption.
Caution: Species protection and beneficialsThe mole, or rather its ventilation holes - for nothing else are the molehills - is usually considered annoying journeyman. But he must not be harmed, because he is under protection of species in Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The molehills must therefore be neither filled with water, trapped or even flattened. Simply said: The inhabitant must not be damaged, otherwise it can quickly become really expensive. In addition, a violation of the protection of species is also punishable by law.
Quite apart from laws and punishments, the mole itself is by no means harmful - on the contrary. On its way through the soil, the animals ensure good ventilation and thorough mixing of the soil. As a main course they serve pests that could be dangerous for the garden. On the other hand, they themselves do not attack plants and can only slightly injure roots while laying their underground tunnels. Furthermore, the mole is also a seal of approval, because he settles only in good soil. Nevertheless, the raised mounds can naturally disturb the appearance. But this can be easily remedied.
obstaclesIf he constantly encounters obstacles when digging, the mole quickly loses his appetite and he seeks a new environment. Already when creating lawns and flowerbeds, therefore, an effective prevention can be installed. Lawn edging stones, root barriers and mole barriers are placed perpendicularly in the ground and boundaries of individual areas underground from each other. Although this is associated with some effort, but also keeps out voles and other raging animals. If the garden is often visited by them, work and investment are quickly worthwhile. Especially since the measure has to be carried out only once and does not burden the purse or the environment.
Tip: In still heavily ruffled areas, several lawn edge stones or larger stones can be simply buried and thus sunk, so there is no optical disturbance on meadow and Co. The moles are still deterred by the obstacle course.
Moles and voles, on the other hand, seldom really impressed by the technology and keep on digging. Not infrequently, although initial successes are recorded, after a period of habituation the unwanted gardeners usually return.
VergrämungsmitteAlso in the trade are so-called Vergrämungsmittel for moles, which disturb the sensitive smell of the animals and should move them so to move. These are usually substrate-like substances that are provided with odorants and are applied more or less widely in the garden. Into the earth of course, which in turn means a considerable effort, because the grains or pebbles are distributed individually using the spade. This measure must be repeated several times a year if necessary or as prevention. Workload and costs are so comparatively high.
In addition, it is often not even specified which odorous biocide is the product. In case of allergies, gardening children and pets there is uncertainty.
home remediesMoles do not look that good, but they smell so much better. Therefore, they react - as already mentioned - sensitive to odors. This is exactly where the home remedies for expelling the moles can start. Intensively fragrant or stinking substances do not have to affect the human nose or the health and certainly do not pollute the environment. Suitable agents are:
- pressed garlic cloves or garlic oil
- clove oil
- patchouli oil
- plants manure
- Granules, cat litter or pulp are soaked with the odors. As an amplifier and preservation can be given this alcohol.
- The prepared sources of scent are placed directly into the molehills, scattered on or around them. If a hole in the hill is visible, they can also be placed in the passage below.
- If the corridors are filled with "stench" in this way, the mole will soon find its way. There are no more molehills added. The soaked materials need not be removed, as they pose no danger and either disperse or permanently decompose.
- With a strong spread of moles, the odor sources should also be applied around the house and the hills. However, an escape route must remain free, so that the animals are specifically expelled from the smell and leave the garden in the desired direction.
Remove hillsThe real annoyances are not the useful moles, but the remaining molehills. After the inhabitants of the underground passages have disappeared, they can be eliminated very quickly and easily. For this purpose, several measures in question.
- Remove with spade or shovel. The churned soil can be used to fill flower pots, as a growing substrate or for demanding plants, as it is very loose and mostly free of pests.
- Distribute with rake or rake. The earth is distributed until the hill is leveled. The plants in the area are pleased about the high quality substrate. To replenish the possibly bald spot, in the case of turf, re-seeding must be done.
- Rinse away with water. With a garden hose, watering can or bucket, the molehills can be specifically removed and the earth distributed. This is a muddy business, but also very easy and fast.
- Fill up. If the mole has disappeared, the molehills may well be leveled. The soil can be tapped flat or moved back into the soil with pressure. On this occasion, it makes sense to use even a few larger stones or a mole barrier in the hole.
Mole hill and garden maintenanceIf the molehills are on the lawn, there is a temptation to get rid of all the mounds of earth with the lawn mower after the small animals have been expelled. After all, the earth would thus also distributed or lands directly in the grass clippings - a significant relief. But this measure can quickly do more damage than expected. When creating the aisles and the air holes moles often move stones to the surface, which are not always immediately visible, but are more than noticeable when mowing. If they get into the blades, it will be dangerous for the blades and bystanders. At least a slight distribution by hand or rake is therefore recommended before mowing.
Anyone who introduces obstacles in the form of lawn edges or molehills and uses simple but intensive odorants when needed can rapidly expel moles. The removal of molehills is just as possible and requires little effort with the right approach.