The Content Of The Article:
An old garden, possibly with mature trees, can be beautiful and even romantic. But just an old garden often needs renewal. Whether it is that the whole system does not suit your personal taste, whether you want to create new beds or install an additional stream.
There are many good reasons to redesign an old garden, and your personal taste alone determines what the garden will look like later. Before you go to work, however, you should plan well, so you do not experience a nasty surprise later. What you should be aware of and how you best approach the work is explained in detail here.
Plan carefullyDraw a plan before doing something else. If you want to preserve existing paths, make sketches of where and how you want to make the beds, where you would like to grow lawns, and if you want to set a hedge or a fence. First, gather ideas before committing yourself. If there is a pond or stream that needs to be removed, this is a task you should do as you plan to dry the soil in this area. Even old hedges and shrubs that you no longer want to use can already be removed. Then you should start to commit yourself.
Would you like a pure ornamental garden, flowerbeds or even a garden? Do children play in the garden, should a terrace be created? If you want to do the work yourself, a rough sketch is enough, but then you should stick to it so as not to get bogged down. This also requires a planting plan so that you know where you have put something. Plan functional areas and ornamental garden realistically. The best time to reshape a garden is spring. Although shrubs are generally only planted in autumn and winter, nowadays container plants are available that can be used all year round. Also plan electricity and water connections. This way you can avoid long distances with the hose or the watering can, besides you can not only connect the lawnmower with sockets in different places, but also create a good lighting.
Tip: With old trees, you should make sure that the foliage does not fall on the kitchen or that the shadows cast off the growth of flowers and shrubs.
materialsCalculate the required quantities as correctly as possible during planning, which also saves you unnecessary costs. For hedge plants apply different planting distances, get acquainted beforehand about the different varieties. If you want to raise the level of the soil, you should inquire, where you get topsoil as truckloads. If you want to remove soil, ask the local waste disposal company if they can deliver the soil there.
You definitely need:
- Sand and gravel or pavement slabs
- Curbs as a bedding limit
- lawn grass seeds
- hedge plants
- Perennials, flower bulbs, flower seeds as you wish
- for a herbal spiral you need large stones if necessary
Work on scheduleYou will not be able to do it all in one day, so think about how you start, work your way ahead. If you want or need to remove old lawns, start with them. Then you should lay the paths and if necessary install power cables and water points. Compact the substrate before laying gravel or paving slabs. If you want to create a pond or a stream, you can now work without regard to existing plants. Make sure that power cables are underground so as not to damage them when mowing or gardening.
When replanting, note the position of the sun to find the optimal locations for your planned replanting. Many plants need sunny or partially shaded locations. A garden evolves over time, do not put the new plants too dense, they would hinder each other after two to three years. If you want to create a new lawn, the soil should be free of weeds and have already set something. Lawn seed must be sown evenly and should be lightly covered with soil so as not to be picked by the birds. If you want to do it easy, roll turf, it can be entered almost without waiting, but it is not cheap.
Tip: Be patient. For each day, do only take as much as you can realistically create.
Recommended plantsFor the hedge:
- Boxwood, requires regular cut
- Bamboo, fast growing, can be cut back if necessary
- Scheinzypressen, dense and evergreen, easy to clean
- Cherry laurel, evergreen, but no conifers
- Peasant jasmine, very fragrant, easy to clean
- Snowball, big, bright white flowers
- Kolkwietzie (mother-of-pearl shrub), also thrives in the shade, delicately pink-white-flowering
- Hydrangea, a sea of blossoms in spring
- Rhododendron, can also be set as a hedge
Recommended flowersHere alone the personal taste decides. When planting, keep in mind that onion plants take some time to flower fully. If you create your garden in summer, you should already plan the coming spring. Crocus, narcissus, hyacinth and tulip should already be firmly planted. Make a note of the location on your plant plan so that it is not overlooked. Put summer plants as gap fillers in the places that should be filled in a year or two of shrubs and perennials. They bridge the empty spaces.
To remodel an old garden requires good planning and a lot of work. If you do not do too much at once, you will feel daily that you have progressed a great deal. Already in the first year after the refurbishment you will be rewarded for the effort. Remember that plants develop slowly and you will always find something new in your new garden.
Tips for quick readers
- A coarse division of the various areas is usually a great help to reworking and has so far been perceived by users as very good. The terrain should be completely abandoned by the owners and possibly even staked out. An exemplary layout should take into account areas such as children's playgrounds, bedding areas, rest areas, ponds, ornamental beds, wood storage areas, pure usable areas for fruit trees and shrubs.
- So it is very important for small children, to have their own area in which they can develop freely to their heart's content. Particularly popular with the little ones are utensils such as a sandbox, a frame provided with a slide and a swing, as well as a mud spot, which can be used for special water actions.
- The adults also need a place where they feel particularly comfortable and can retire after a hard day's work. In addition to a spacious terrace, there should also be a place of rest in the garden.
- Very cozy and idyllic can be for such purposes a beautifully landscaped garden pond, which is moved with stylish recessed lights in a special light. However, care should be taken with young children to ensure that they can be obstructed as needed to protect the little ones. As obstruction, metal or wooden fences have proven very useful and they also have the advantage that they can be easily removed later uncomplicated.