The Content Of The Article:
- way of life
- Biologically acting control agents
- Make biological sprays yourself
Quickly she is gone, the anticipation of young onions, tender leeks and hearty chives, when the onion fly strikes. The tiny insect specializes in the damage of bulbous plants. It is primarily the larvae that cause stinking feeding in crops. With up to three generations per season, the pests make life difficult for amateur gardeners. The following profile brings all the oppressive details to the point. Good to know that different sprays are ready to fight.
- Insect family of flower flies (Anthomyiidae)
- Genus: onion fly
- Gray-black insects up to 7 mm long
- Adult larvae up to 10 mm long
- Up to 3 overlapping generations
- Temperature optimum 20 degrees Celsius and higher
- Wintering as a doll in the ground
- Life expectancy up to 4 months
way of lifeEffective control of onion flies is based on knowledge of their way of life. From April on, each course through the vegetable patch should be linked to an infestation check. At this time, the wintered dolls pop up to feed on dandelion or meadow chervil. If the females have sufficiently strengthened, they lay off their eggs, from which develops the first generation of greedy larvae. For oviposition they specifically seek the proximity of young bulbous plants, so that the hatched larvae feed on the tender roots and shoots. The result is an early death of the young plants. This nefarious activity continues in July, when the second generation goes to work, followed by a third plague in August / September. Since the plants have grown in the meantime, the infestation is less obvious and is better tolerated by the bulbous plants.
Tip: The beginning of the dandelion bloom optically signals the first slip of onion flies.
HarmingSince the tiny insects and larvae are not always visible to the naked eye, the damage picture is an important indicator of the presence of the onion fly. You should pay attention to this:
- In the seed row wither onion and leek plants immediately after emergence
- In the further course, the larvae continue to migrate to shallots, garlic or chives
- The young plants are soft, rotten and can easily be pulled out of the ground
- In the root area and near the ground whitish maggots can be seen
sprayIn view of the high pressure of attack, hobby gardeners often only have to resort to an insecticide approved for the allotment garden in order to save their vegetable cultivation. The following preparations have proven to be excellent for controlling onion flies:
Pest Free Calypso Perfect AF from Bayer GardenEffective against sucking and biting insects and their larvae on useful and ornamental plants. The proven product is ready to use and also detects hidden pests. As a contact poison, it has an immediate effect.
- 500 ml from 7,90 Euro
The spray agent acts on the basis of neem, a natural active ingredient of the Indian Neem tree. Within a short time, the preparation causes a feeding stop for a period of 3 weeks. Due to the partial systemic effect, onion flies and larvae are also recorded, which were not sprayed directly.
- 30 ml pack from 9,90 Euro (3 ml is sufficient for 1 liter of water)
- 100 ml pack from 6,90 Euro
- 1000 ml spray bottle from 14,90 Euro
Biologically acting control agentsIn an early stage of infestation or as a preventive measure, the following preparations come into focus in the natural garden:
Bio-spreading agent for vegetables from SchachtThe preparation is a bit out of the ordinary at this point as it does not have a direct effect on the onion fly, but specifically strengthens the endangered bulbous plants and other crops. Health-conscious hobby gardeners favor the organic litter compared to a pesticide, since the known disadvantages of spraying do not come into play here.Instead, the agent has a vitalizing effect on the plants, so that they quickly grow out of the threatened stage.
- 600 g dispenser from 8,90 Euro
- 2.5 l canister from 19.90 euros
Make biological sprays yourselfAnyone who does not want to rely on purchased organic preparations, manufactures a spray for controlling onion flies itself.
RainfarnteeTansy is one of the daisy family and is rich in essential oils, tannins and bitter substances. On humans, the herb plant can be toxic, on the onion fly as well. How to make the tea:
- the plant is collected in the summer, preferably in the early morning
- Pour boiling water over the parts of the plant and leave to infuse for 24 hours
- first express the tar residues and then strain (tar residues are not suitable as mulch)
wormwoodVermouth is at eye level with tansy when it comes to pesticide use. Regularly sprayed, the tea not only sells the onion fly, but numerous other uninvited guests who fuss over the vegetables. The production follows the same recipe as Rainfarntee.
nettle infusionIn the natural garden omnipresent in ecological plant care, nettles also fulfill their task as pest control sprays to their complete satisfaction. The goal in the preparation is to let the infusion not fermented as long as he turns into Jauche. At this concentration, the effect on taste would be detrimental. How to proceed:
- Fill 500 g nettle leaves into a bucket
- pour over 5 liters of water
- Cover with a grid to allow air to enter the mixture
ConclusionHer tiny, 7mm long body fakes over what damage the onion fly can cause in the vegetable garden. As soon as the first young onion, leek or chive plants emerge, the greedy larvae rob them of their vitality. When the second and third generations hit, the crops have already developed enough to cope with an infestation. Until then, under high infestation pressure, efficient spraying agents are sometimes essential for fighting. If the pest was discovered at an early stage thanks to its knowledge of the infected species, it would, with a little luck, be able to kill it and its brood biological control agents.