The Content Of The Article:
Potted plants settle every year in a frost-free winter quarters. Due to the exposed position of the root ball in the planter there is a high risk that it will freeze. Where space is lacking, the pot should at least be placed on an insulating material such as wood or polystyrene. In addition, an envelope made of bubble wrap keeps icy winter storms at a distance. A thick layer of foliage protects the substrate.
Tip: Do not allow the palms to dry out completely in winter quarters. To protect against spider mites or other pests from time to time spray with water.
repottingIf the roots emerge from the bottom opening of the bucket or push through the substrate, they can not get around a repot. A suitable time for this care measure is the early spring, just before the new shoot. In these steps it is possible:
- Wear robust work clothes, gloves and safety goggles
- In the new bucket create a 5-10 cm high drainage of gravel, grit or potsherds
- Fill in the recommended substrate up to halfway
- Pop the palmlilie and put it in the middle of the new pot
- Fill the cavities with soil and press down repeatedly with your fist
multiplyIf you would like more specimens of a Garden Yucca Filamentosa, you have the choice of several methods of propagation:
A palmlilie provides itself in two ways for the propagation, on the one hand forms berries with seeds and on the other hand lets daughter plants thrive at the base. These kindles are fully developed young plants with exactly the attributes of their mother plant. This is how they are used for offspring:
- In autumn, choose Kindel with a height of at least 20 centimeters
- Separate from the mother plant with a sharp knife or a groundbreaking ceremony
- Plant in a large pot with nutrient-poor, sandy substrate
- Pour occasionally at 5-10 degrees Celsius indoors
The seed for propagation comes from the autumnal berries, which seldom form in the local latitudes. Alternatively, the retailer holds a corresponding offer ready.
- Soak the seeds for 12 hours in lukewarm chamomile tea in February or March
- Sow pots with Saaterde or peat sand and moisten with a fine shower
- In each case press 1-2 seeds into the substrate
- A cover made of glass or foil accelerates the germination
The majestic size of a Garden Yucca filamentosa poses a greater challenge than the actual care. This is limited to the prudent choice of a sunny, warm and sheltered location with a lean, well-drained soil. Regular watering is required only during the growing phase or in summer drought. Fertilizing limited to a fertilizer in the spring or from time to time a portion of compost. Since the palmlilie grows stemless in the garden, the cutting is limited to the removal of withered leaves and withered flowers.