The Content Of The Article:
The parsley professional knows that supermarket parsley and garden parsley are a world of difference, he has already tried many varieties. If you are not yet a parsley professional, you should start as soon as possible, with the selection of your favorite variety and in general with the cultivation of parsley:
Types and varieties of parsley
Especially when it comes to own breeding, you should not care less what parsley you grow. There are some differences in parsley, which also affect taste / aroma:
1. The parsley with smooth leaves
The leaf parsley most closely resembles the original wild parsley, which came to us from southern regions long ago. It has a very intense taste and is also popular with chefs because it is quick and easy to clean. Smooth parsley is available in several varieties:
- Smooth parsley, organic seeds, full of flavor and full vigor
- Smooth parsley 'Aroma parsley', a breed for the pot and for aroma in the saucepan
- Smooth parsley 'Gigante d'Italia', large-leaved, dark green and aromatic, high yield, with not too short cut multiple crops
- Smooth Parsley 'Karnaval', aromatic parsley with dark green leaves and long stems
- Smooth parsley 'Laica', Gigante d'Italia type with very large leaves, dark green variety with very fast development, high yields and good regenerative ability
- Smooth parsley 'Laura', excellent quality type "Simple cut": very dark green, fine- and small-leaved, strong growing, very upright
- Smooth parsley 'Rialto', high-yielding breed with strong growth and intense taste
Curly parsley was bred to control deadly confusions of parsley with the poisonous dog parsley that was once widely used. More recently, she has made herself indispensable especially when decorating food, but the "scrub on the edge of the plate" is currently losing much of its popularity. Rightly so, the curly parsley from the trade often tastes more like grass than spice. It will not be so bad with fragrant parsley from the garden, but those who are looking for a super spicy taste will probably plant better parsley. Frizzy parsley is also fast becoming a patience-consuming Fummelarbeit, because the cleaning of the many leaf wrinkles u. U. takes quite a while, it also taste is washed away. Also of the Krausen there are cultivars:
- Fragrant parsley 'Afrodite', particularly spicy and aromatic, with vigorous dark green foliage and strong short stems
- Curly parsley 'Berliner Bero', half-length, slightly wedge-shaped and yielding type with compact dark foliage
- Krause parsley, organic seed type 'Mooskrause 2', high-yield aromatic parsley variety with densely grained, dark green foliage, particularly robust
- Krause parsley, organic seed 'green pearl', a lot of aroma and leafy green, beautiful Krause, proven robust breeding
- Curly parsley 'Darki', tightly packed fine-grained rich green leaf pads on a strong stem
- Krause Parsley 'Darklett', new breed for outdoor growing, high yields, very dark green, coarsely curled leaf pad
- Krause Parsley 'Grandeur', high-yield aromatic variety with dense dark green curls and a beautiful fragrance
- Krause parsley 'Lisette', type of moss with fine ripples and fresh green color, very fast development, good wintering
- Krause Parsley 'Mooskrause 2', well-known high yielding breed with a strong stem and dense feathered fronds, good hardiness strong aroma
- Krause Parsley 'Starlett', excellent for outdoor and potted cultivation, dark color, short cultivation time, densely filled leaf padding with medium-sized leaf curls
Root parsley makes itself as a strong parsley root excellently in many hearty stews, as a delicious cream soup or vegetable dish. The leaves are also edible and can be harvested from late July / August, the roots in late autumn. The cultivars:
- Petroselinum crispum 'Alba', flavorful variety for cooking, very well storable
- Petroselinum crispum 'Arat', productive, makes long white smooth very aromatic roots
- Petroselinum crispum 'Halflange' or 'Berliner', white, smooth roots with a pleasantly spicy taste that intensifies when cooking
- Petroselinum crispum 'Half-length Hilmar', half-length, aromatic root parsley with frizzy leaves
- Petroselinum crispum 'Half-length Hermes', smooth turnip, nice color, robust, dark frizzy foliage
- Petroselinum crispum 'Konika', long white, firm, very smooth roots with an intense aroma
is a umbellifer of another genus. The Japanese herb is used similar to Japanese parsley, the taste reminds rather of celery.The Japanese parsley can be grown like leaf parsley, but is only partially hardy, so it must either be wintered in the house or seeded annually.
is not quite simple, it germinates slowly and their seed shells contain germ inhibitors, which must first be degraded or washed off, so that the germination process is set in motion. The parsley seed should definitely have lived through a cold spell, which is of course the case with seeds from the trade, but you would have to stratify the seed from the neighbor in the fridge. And it should not hurt parsley in general if you use a natural seed pickle. It does not hurt their patience, the parsley seeds, which often ripen in the soil, usually take up to 6 weeks to germinate. You can find out in detail in the article "Parsley - Sowing, Care and Harvest" how you can make the delicate parsley a little more germ-friendly. Parsley likes warm soils, so it should be placed in the garden only after the icy saints, from mid-May. Or later, until July or August, parsley also likes "upstairs" heat. Obviously, she never forgot the friendly temperatures in her first home, she prefers to grow at temperatures between 22 and 30° C, with us she gets on average 16° C in summer.
The location of the parsley may therefore be sunny (only no directly emerging noon sun), the soil is well humus-rich, quite normal nutrient-rich and rather wet than dry. In addition to parsley, no salad should be grown, and on the site itself for at least 3 years, no parsley, it is not compatible with "at all". This also affects the distance of one parsley to the next: At least 10 cm (in all directions) for the parsley leaves, at least 20 cm in the root parsley.
Put the parsley in the garden
It can take weeks until the parsley rises. During this time you have to keep the soil moist, but not overly humid, waterlogging does not like parsley. Once it has risen, at the very least you have to prevent it from being eaten by snails, the sweet parsley. You can cover the bed with salad pigeons or fleece or the individual plants with a flowerpot without soil or install worm fences. Depending on the sowing and germination time, you can sometimes harvest vigorously only in the next season, because the parsley needs the rest of the first year more for rooting. Does not matter, then next year particularly strong plants with particularly beautiful leaf rosettes.
Put parsley on the balcony
Parsley on the balcony is basically dressed as well as described for the garden. On the balcony, the parsley often has better opportunities than in the garden: on a beautifully protected, warm, sunny balcony, the parsley feels like once in the south, with a little luck and care you can retract a magnificent parsley crop. With the parsley for the balcony, the cultivation can take place immediately in the final pot. If you are sowing in a growing bowl, you will have to put the seeds into the soil individually and at a distance of at least 10 cm from parsley, the intraspecific competition (incompatibility with yourself) of the parsley is also here and is unnecessary any pique. In the trade are offered practical herbal seed slices with parsley seeds, which are simply inserted into the soil and poured, they should germinate quickly and bring after a few weeks crop.
Water evenly, but moderately, if necessary fertilize with organic liquid fertilizer for vegetables. For example, with "flower food" from //greenlab.berlin, this is an organic liquid fertilizer from the shells of cocoa beans, which should smell very pleasant. The parsley is biennial and can be wintered on the balcony, it is quite tough. Only if it gets really cold for a long time, you should treat it to a layer of foliage or brushwood as a warming protection.
Plant finished parsley plants
If you cook a lot, you will always have parsley plants in the house, from the supermarket, in the pot and with roots in the pot. You can put it quite tentatively on the balcony, you just can not expect too much. These parsley are rather not bred as a pattern of stamina. On the contrary, if it were up to the sellers, they would probably suffer spontaneous death immediately after the leaves have gone into the soup. But plants are plants, with sometimes amazing will to survive. If you deprive the soup pot of the heart (the middle) of the parsley, put the parsley immediately in the garden or repot into a larger pot of decent soil, a supermarket parsley could decide to enjoy the new freedom. If it grows for a while in the garden soil, or in a potting soil, which may really call itself earth, it could even develop flavor. And the harmful substances, which may have entered the plant via any seed dressing, are then degraded at some point.
Home-growing is not just a relaxing hobby, but rather tough today when it comes to flavor and healthy food. Parsley is not one of the simplest candidates, but with the right information you will also grow this important herb.