The Content Of The Article:
Plants and colorful flowers in the bucket or box on the terrace or balcony are always nice to look at. However, plants cultivated in pots require more irrigation water than those planted in the field. In order not to have to constantly pour, and not only in the hot summer, the buckets and window boxes can be provided with a self-built irrigation system, which can also help over a holiday of terrace and balcony owners. With the right tips, self-construction is easy for any hobby gardener.
forms of irrigation
Plant irrigation for balcony and potted plants is always useful if the apartment owners often travel or the balcony is located on a south side. Such an irrigation system can also be easily built yourself. For this, however, some materials are needed, which can be previously obtained in the garden trade or hardware store. The tool for construction can be found in almost every well-equipped household. There are two sensible ways in which plant irrigation for balconies and potted plants can be created on a long-term basis. The first method is particularly well suited for the elongated balcony boxes. For this two boxes are needed, which are put together. The second method should be used for large pots, which usually contain only one plant. Because here only the one bucket is needed. However, both methods are equally easy to build yourself:
In order to make the irrigation boxes for the balcony itself, one or the other tool is needed, but which should be found in every household actually:
- Hammer and thick nail
- substitute small drill
- a large box or bucket without bottom drainage holes
- a smaller box or bucket that fits well in the big and does not come up on the floor
- the small balcony box needs drain holes
- if necessary, two to three bricks on which the small box can rest
- Alternatively, plastic cups, for example, old yogurt cups, can be used
- wide fabric ribbons, for example made of cotton
- Water level gauge from hydroponic culture
Once all the required materials have been procured in the trade, you can start. First, the outer box is prepared. For this purpose, with the hammer and nail around small drain holes are knocked, who has a drill available, can use this. Two small holes are placed a little higher, here is later pulled through the wire to attach the water level indicator. It continues as follows:
- Place two to three bricks on the floor, depending on how big the bucket or box is
- Alternatively, distribute the plastic cups upside down on the floor
- Attach the water level indicator to the inner wall so that it protrudes far enough out of the box to be read well
- even downwards, he must be able to reach the storage water later
- with the smaller box being used, drill or punch holes in the ground
- Make sure that, on the one hand, holes are needed for the drainage
- on the other hand, holes are needed for the cotton strips
- cut long enough and wide strips of cloth
- These can be obtained from an old cotton cloth
- Pull cotton threads through the bottom holes
- leave enough play up and down
- the upper part must disappear later in the earth, the lower one must be able to hang in the water
When these preparations are completed, the irrigation system can be completed. For this purpose, the inner balcony box or bucket is planted as usual. On the ground, a drainage is ideally created here so that no waterlogging can arise here. Care must be taken to ensure that the cotton strips are pulled up to the ground so they can reach the roots. As drainage potsherds or gravel are suitable. Over this comes plant fleece so that no soil clogs the holes. The cotton threads are pulled through small holes in this fleece. Then planted normally:
- Fill in the soil with the plants
- Leave cotton strips in the ground
- Put plants on the ends of the cotton strips so that the roots are in contact
- put the inner bucket on the bricks of the outer bucket
- Fill water down between the boxes
- also sprinkle new plants from above
- a box or bucket without drain holes
- ideally use plastic
- Claystone for hydroponics
- Water level gauge from hydroponic culture
- plant fleece
- a piece of hose
For the second irrigation system, only one planter is needed. This is better, for example, for larger buckets, but also the window boxes can be created in this way. First, drain holes are drilled around the sides or punched with a nail and a hammer. At the height should be taken to ensure that the holes are where later the earth will rest. There must be no drainage holes in the ground as otherwise the stored water needed for irrigation will escape. On the ground, the beads from the hydroponic culture are now applied to a reasonable height, depending on how much water is to be stored. At the same time, the water level gauge is plugged in at one corner. In another corner, a previously cut, sufficiently long piece of hose is inserted. This is done later the filling of the water reservoir. Permeable plant fleece is given over this first level. This prevents soil from getting in between the clay beads.
Tip: The plant fleece not only prevents soil from getting down between the beads, but also prevents the roots of the plants from constantly hanging in the water, causing it to rot.
If the bucket has been prepared so far, it is ready for planting:
- Fill soil suitable for the plant
- Insert the plant and give it all around
- Fill the clay balls with water through the hose, making sure that the earth does not get any water
- if the plant was used again, it should also be watered briefly from above
These two large irrigation systems, however, there are also smaller alternatives that can be created quickly, if a short trip or a holiday are on the program and find no neighbors or friends who can come in between for pouring. Therefore, if the balcony is not yet equipped with plant irrigation, the plants can also be supplied with water in an absence as follows:
- with plastic bottles
- These are filled with water and put upside down without a lid
- filled with a bucket of water
- this one is placed higher than the flower box
- through the wool threads that are suspended in the water, which are put into the earth at the roots, the plants draw the necessary water
Drip-Blumat Plant waterer for pots and boxes
- The Blumat plant irrigation system is ideal for the plants. There are many different parts, depending on what you need what and if you want to connect an irrigation vessel or you work directly from a water connection.
- You can purchase all parts individually or in sets and expand and supplement the system at any time.
- Depending on how big the plant and the planter are, one or more of the cones must be put into the ground.
- There is a supply line and you need a water tank or a hose to which all supply lines are connected and which is connected to a water connection.
- About the suction hose, the house plants are supplied with the precious wet.
- In one system, the water is discharged through porous clay cones.
- The water supply in a separate container must be placed below the or the Blumatkegeln (about 10 to 20 cm)!
- Per day about 80 to 100 ml of water per cone are delivered.
- If more water is needed, use several cones. They can be connected by a hose. The size of the water reservoir has to be considered!
- Increasing or lowering the water tank increases or decreases the water output.
- The Blumat plant irrigation system is not only well suited for indoor plants, but also for window boxes or planters, which are kept outside and also for the garden. However, one has to keep in mind that especially hot water evaporates on hot days. The water containers must therefore be correspondingly large, if you want to water for several days. It is therefore ideal if the hose is connected directly to a water connection, at least outdoors.
- A simple and inexpensive way to water plants.
- The ground spike is stuck in the potting soil, as deep as possible.
- Above you can attach the appropriate irrigation ball, but also a commercial beverage bottle. The balls have much less capacity (250 ml) than the bottles (up to 2 liters).
- When the earth dries up, water runs up. The plant, or the plant substrate can not dry out. For large bottles, you can get out of water without pouring for several weeks. For large planters you should better use two skewers and two bottles.
- Also a very inexpensive method and inconspicuous, as the big bottles, but also with less capacity.
- The water reservoir is hung directly on the flowerpot.
- The associated wick is inserted into the ground and with the other end in the reservoir.
- This has a capacity of 450 ml, is 15 x 12 x 4 cm in size.
- The wick supplies the plant with water.
- For large plants, the system does not work well, but it is sufficient for smaller plants.
With a little know how it is easy to build a plant irrigation for balcony and potted plants. There is only a little more material needed than in the simple balcony planting and still causes such irrigation plant a lot more. For those who are often not at home and do not want to leave the neighbors or friends pouring during his absence, who can still create a beautiful and flowery balcony. And even those balconies that lie on the south side of a house do not work anymore with the irrigation system. Because even here, thanks to the irrigation system, you do not have to water so often despite prolonged exposure to the sun.