The Content Of The Article:
In nature white mold lives everywhere on plants and their leaves. This is caused by fungi, which settle on dying substances with an organic origin. In healthy and still living plants, however, mold can lead to damage and also makes an unsightly impression. If mold spreads on houseplants, then caution is advised, as the mold spores are distributed in the room air. In this way, the spores can lead to damage to the inhabitants by inhaling to health.
Causes of mold formationWhen plants are attacked by mold, a whitish layer forms on the leaves. Often too high humidity and waterlogging in the soil is to blame for mold growth. In this case, the mold spores spread like a net over the ground in the garden and also infest the plant leaves. Especially during cool autumn days, with a too humid weather, it comes to an increased mold infestation. When the sun hides behind clouds all day, the soil can not dry properly and the mold finds perfect conditions.
- Mold spores need a certain climate for distribution
- Ideal is lukewarm weather with a high humidity
- Preferably cloudy weather conditions
- In domestic gardens and flower pots different types of molds occur
- Particularly common are Alternaria, Aspergillus and Penicillium
- Dirty garden tools can lead to increased distribution
White horse in the gardenIn the usual extent, mold growth in the garden is normal and expected. The mold spores nest especially with organic substances when they die. Mold fungi make a significant contribution to a functioning ecosystem that can supply and dispose of itself. This allows the nutrients of the dead plants to pass into the soil and guarantee adequate mineralization. However, mold is found not only on dying plants and on the compost pile, but also affects healthy shoots and nestles in the ground. If healthy and still young plants form white mold on the leaves, then timely countermeasures are to be taken.
- Mildew occurs especially in shady and cool-moist locations
- Especially plants under deep growing trees are affected
- Dying plants in the neighborhood support mold growth
- Excessive mold can lead to the death of garden plants
- Always disinfect all garden tools with spirit before and after use
Mold on indoor plantsMold spores feel very comfortable on indoor plants, especially if they are only cultivated in the living rooms. Indoors, there are ideal growing conditions for mold cultures. In nature extreme temperature fluctuations and strong sunshine provide natural control. In contrast, mold in the living room in front of the desired temperatures and conditions, pleasant-warm and humid. In this context, excessive humidification of the potted plant plays an essential role in the further spread of mold.
- Permanently moist soil leads to mold on houseplants
- Falling and rotting leaves provide perfect living conditions
- Proximity to the radiator guarantees warm conditions
- Often not enough aired
- Human exhalations increase the humidity
Powdery mildew is a persistent mold that infests both useful and ornamental plants. This mold prefers good weather conditions, with temperatures of over 20° C and in combination with high humidity. Especially new leaves can not properly mature in a prolonged drought and provide the fungus spores welcome attack surfaces in the onset of rain. At the affected areas, mildew becomes visible as a white and floury surface. As a precaution, a sunny and airy location is crucial so that the leaves can dry quickly after each downpour. In this way, the mildew fungus is offered only little attack surface. In addition, a nutrient-rich and high-quality soil prevents the emergence.
- Can be combated by spraying with tinctures
- A broth of horsetails has proven itself
- Also helpful are garlic and rainfarntee
- Milk and whey also have healing properties
- Spray on a rain-free and dry day
- Apply directly to the affected areas
- Repeat the treatment regularly until the mold disappears
grayIf the plant is infested with gray mold, then a gray and velvety coating covers the affected leaves. Particularly prone to this mold are all plant species with soft leaves. As a rule, gray mold usually forms on damaged and dead plant parts. If water accumulates permanently on the leaves and can not dry off quickly, mold is promoted. In addition, too much nitrogen fertilizer promotes the formation of gray mold.
- Avoid too vigorous and frequent spraying of the leaves
- Cut off infected leaves and stems
- Treat with fungicide
- Dispose of the entire plant in case of extremely advanced infestation
fightWhen mold settles on plant leaves, it should be removed as soon as possible. Otherwise, the mold spores can lead to health problems in the residents when it comes to indoor plants. Starting from the potted plants, it can in extreme cases spread to the surrounding ceilings and walls. But even in the garden, excessive mold can be harmful and lead to the dying off of healthy plants. In addition, this is a danger to children playing and frolicking pets dar. When the mold spreads to the leaves of the plant, then the soil is usually infested.
- Remove moldy, rotting leaves in household waste
- Remove garbage immediately from the apartment
- Spores are constantly spreading through the air
- Repot the affected plant in a timely manner
- Fill planter with new and high quality potting soil
- Ventilate living spaces regularly and for longer
- Place affected house plants on the windowsill in the sun
- If available, bring to the balcony for some time in warm weather
PreventIn order for the plants in the garden and in the living rooms to enjoy a long life, the formation of mold fungi should be prevented in the long term. In nature, there are various microorganisms and fungi in the soil, which regulate themselves in a healthy ecosystem. However, if errors in care creep in and the site conditions are not correct, then it leads to excessive mold growth. Especially in autumn and in spring an excessive growth of mold fungi is to be expected. For this reason, the plants should be inspected regularly for mold at this time of the year. If molds spread on the leaves, remove them immediately.
- Pour sparingly, never overdo watering
- Avoid waterlogging
- Apply drainage, both in the garden and in the flower pot
- In this way, excess water can always run off
- Cover the drain hole in the flowerpot with a potsherd
- Lay gravel layer loosely over it and cover with soil
- Always let the surface of the earth dry completely
- Repotting houseplants every spring
The presence of white mold is a natural process in nature that normally regulates by itself. In the garden, however, due to incorrect site conditions and long-lasting rainy days, perfect conditions for excessive mold growth on the leaves can occur. If this takes the upper hand, then even the whole plant can die off. Therefore, immediate countermeasures are to be taken. The rotting plant parts are to be removed directly and not on the compost pile, but in the household waste. Mold spores are extremely fine and very light, they spread through the air with a gentle breeze. In indoor plants, persistent waterlogging often causes mildew on the leaves. In this case, a reduction of the casting units and the application of a drainage helps. When using tools, always pay attention to prior and final disinfection with spirit. In this way, the transmission risk is reduced. A white and flour-like topping is an indication of mildew, which can be combated with the spraying of natural home remedies. If the coating is rather gray, then it is gray mold, this is often difficult to remove completely. If the mold spreads extremely, then as a last resort often only the removal of the whole plant is advisable.