The Content Of The Article:
- to water
- To cut
- Typical diseases, pests and care mistakes
- Worth knowing about the red fan maple
Color and shape make the red fan maple a decorative enrichment in the garden - and the eye-catching exotics, which is found especially in Asia-inspired areas. In order to retain its beauty, not even much effort needs to be done. However, the failed tree is picky at least in some ways. If its basic requirements are met, it is also suitable for beginners in garden maintenance. Interested parties will find out what culture and waste are all about.
LocationIn a sunny spot, not only is the color of the red Japanese maple particularly appealing, the tree is also exceptionally good. The plant wants plenty of warmth and light, but wind does not tolerate it very well in the beginning. A protected from heavy rain and cold drafts, for example, to the south and near a wall, is therefore optimal. When selecting the suitable location, however, it should be noted that the fan maple can be up to 7.5 meters high and correspondingly bulky. There should not be a lack of space and space.
substratumNeutral pH or slightly acidic - the main thing the substrate is permeable to water and humus. Important is just the loose texture, as the red fan maple densities and waterlogging in the soil very badly tolerated. In fact, this is the most common reason for an early end of the tree. If such a soil is not already available, sand and coconut fibers should be mixed in to loosen up the soil. Ripe compost as a nutrient enrichment is also a useful addition.
Tip: The substrate is most suitable for the red fan maple, if it has a light, crumbly structure - that is, it breaks down in the hand and easily trickles.
to waterAlthough the red maple maple does not tolerate waterlogging, as already mentioned, it still needs plenty of moisture. Since the appealing tree is one of the flatroots, he can not provide himself very well, especially in summer. Especially during dry phases and in young plants, it may therefore be necessary to water in the morning and in the evening. It is also watered in winter, so that the substrate never completely dries out. Then only on frost-free days. Because the tree prefers a neutral or slightly acidic environment, it should be placed on soft, low-calcium water. Ideal are rain or stale tap water.
Tip: A layer of mulch or gravel on the tree disc reduces the evaporation and thus the necessary frequency of watering.
FertilizeIf the substrate was initially mixed with some compost, it can be dispensed with in the first year on. The red maple is then fertilized again in the second year. Well suited for this is again compost but also special maple fertilizer in liquid form. It is sufficient to work the compost easily and superficially into the soil once in April and once in June. Here special care is advised, since the roots are flat in the earth. If liquid fertilizer is used, it can be added to the irrigation water or used in dilute form for spraying the crop. Fertilization takes place in this variant every two to four weeks from April to August.
To cutWhen cutting the red fan maple should be very carefully and carefully proceed. Radical formations, the tree usually does not tolerate and even with corrections restraint is the magic word. The reason for this is, on the one hand, that the cut surfaces bleed for a long time. When cut into living wood, it partially weakens the tree considerably. On the other hand, the maple generally tends to kill blighted branches immediately. Those who want a more malleable plant in the garden but do not want to do without the maple, should opt for a cut-compatible variety - such as cultivating the field maple. When cutting the red fan maple, however, the following points should be noted:
- Remove branches that have been damaged, broken or dried by frost
- if possible, do not cut into live wood
- When the time is late summer or fall, the wounds do not bleed for too long
- When cutting larger branches, if necessary by the Nachbluten, close the wounds with tree wax
- Disinfect saws and scissors before use to avoid infection
Nevertheless, minor corrections, and those that are absolutely necessary for damage, are better than formations or major interventions. This is due to the fact that the natural form is a special asset.
overwinterThe red maple is winter hardy in a suitable location, provided that he had enough time to grow before the frost. On winter care he needs then only occasional watering, so that the substrate never completely dries. To avoid damage this should be done only on frost-free days. In very cold winters, in strong wind or late frost, a light protection from garden fleece is recommended. Even dark film can be used because the maple loses its leaves anyway.
In the tub hibernation is associated with a little more effort. So the maple in the plant container should first be placed as protected as possible. Conveniently, in turn, a wall or near a house wall. In addition, the bucket should be placed on Styrofoam and wrapped with garden fleece. Blankets and straw mats are also suitable for this purpose. Likewise, the red maple can hibernate in the house when it is cool here. He does not need light during this phase, but water does. Since the tree in the vessel can provide even less self and here also no precipitation on the earth, should be watered regularly in small quantities.
multiplyIncreasingly, the red maple is about finishing or cuttings. While the refinement requires some experience and tact, the chances of success with the cuttings are not very high. For beginners, the propagation is not necessarily recommended.
Typical diseases, pests and care mistakes
Mildew and Verticillium wilt can attack the red maple, and it is especially prone to extinction after blending. An optimally chosen location with plenty of sunshine and little cold wind as well as the right one will strengthen the plant and reduce the risk of diseases and pests. Regular checks and immediate intervention are also indispensable for younger plants to save the plant.
If a few factors are taken into account, the red maple is an easy-care and especially beautiful tree - which can even do without cutting. As long as the location, irrigation and substrate are correct, the tinting of its leaves and the natural habit of growing leaves it like no other plant.
Worth knowing about the red fan mapleLocation
- The Red Maple Leaf likes a sunny to half shady site, which should be protected from the wind.
- Wind can affect the growth of the tree and often leads to leaf tip drought.
- A wrong location favors the infection with spider mites.
- The red fan maple prefers loose, humus soils. Important is a drainage in the ground or in the pot.
- The tree can also be cultivated in the planter. The soil may be slightly acidic.
- The ideal pH is between 4.5 and 7.0.
- The tree feels most comfortable in a sandy loamy soil, but also gets along with other substrates.
- Waterlogging is essential to avoid, this feels to die off the roots.
- If you keep the red fan maple in the tub, you have to pay attention to a sufficiently large vessel.
- About every five years is repotted.
- The red fan maple is quite frugal.
- In case of dryness, it must be sufficiently poured.
- Waterlogging is essential to avoid.
- With nutrients you should be careful.
- The gift of mineral depot fertilizer in spring is favorable.
Maple is generally not good cut compatible. The wounds bleed and infect pathogens. In addition, the tree of old wood does not expel again. Branches completely removed from the trunk are hard to replace. The best way to grow the Red Maple is to grow naturally. This looks best on these trees. Interfaces are eternally visible and disturb the appearance. If you have to cut, then you should always leave some young wood with sleeping eyes, so that a new shoot can be made. But you must not cut too close, because the maple always dries something back. This can also affect sleeping eyes.
- The Red Maple is sufficiently hardy if it has a sheltered location.
- The plant substrate must not be too wet, otherwise it may happen that shoot tips die off.
- Especially in the culture in the planter care must be taken that the water can drain well and the tree is not too wet.
- However, one should not forget that the wood also needs water in winter, of course, only on frost-free days.
- In container planting, winter protection is recommended. The wood should not be exposed to temperatures well below -10° C.
- Propagation is by seed or by grafting. But this is mostly done in tree nurseries.
- Spider mites often occur as pests. They settle mainly on weakened specimens and must be fought. In July and August aphids also occur.
- In addition, many maple trees suffer from the Verticillium wilt.This is a fungal disease that enters the plant from the ground. The fungus is often introduced at Neuanpflanzungen. One recognizes the infestation on the withered leaves. Newly expelled shoots suddenly show withered leaves. The leaves are flabby and have an unhealthy pale green color. Branches are also attacked. The fungus clogs the water pipes. You can not fight him directly.