Eat rhubarb raw - is it poisonous or not? This is to be considered


The Content Of The Article:

Eat rhubarb raw - is it poisonous or not? This is to be considered: oxalic

Every year, the rhubarb season is accompanied by uplifted index fingers of health experts. It is strongly discouraged to eat the fruity-sour vegetable bars raw due to the high content of toxic oxalic acid. We scrutinized the warnings that spoil our appetite for crisp, freshly harvested rhubarb every year. This guidebook sheds light on all raw food friends who wonder if uncooked rhubarb is poisonous or not. This is important to remember if you like to eat the refreshing sticks raw.

Low toxicity - oxalic acid is called the culprit

Rhubarb not only contains valuable vitamins and nutrients. At the same time, the entire plant flows through oxalic acid. If the toxic fruit acid gets into the human organism, it hinders the absorption of iron. This process is worrying for a healthy person in large quantities. For infants and kidney and heart-ill adults, however, is a health risk even after the consumption of a small dose of oxalic acid. First and foremost, physicians warn that in severe cases damage to the kidneys and the heart can occur, leading to paralysis and cardiac arrest.
In a cursory assessment, this circumstance appears dramatic. In fact, oxalic acid damages your health only in very high quantities and in special, rarely occurring conditions:
  • Oxalic acid content in 100 grams of fresh rhubarb: 180 to 765 milligrams
  • Toxic dose for healthy people: from 600 milligrams per kilogram of body weight
Converted to an adult human being, the scientists' insight means: In order to be poisoned, a person weighing 60 kilos must eat dizzying 36 kilos of raw rhubarb.
Tip: Oxalic acid attacks the tooth enamel. This process is notable for a furry feeling in the mouth and rough enamel when you consume rhubarb raw or cooked. Please do not brush your teeth immediately, wait at least 30 minutes. Otherwise, the tooth enamel is additionally damaged by the toothbrush.

Eating leaves is prohibited

In the leaves of a rhubarb plant is oxalic acid in the highest concentration. With up to 520 milligrams per 100 grams of leaf weight, this high concentration of toxins is even worrying for healthy adults. Therefore limit your rhubarb enjoyment to the green or red rods. Cut the leaves off immediately and discard them on the compost. This renunciation is easy, because the high content of oxalic acid gives the leaves of the plant a bitter, very unpleasant taste.

Oxalic acid limits raw consumption

Rhubarb raw food?

Full all-clear for the consumption of raw rhubarb can not be given even for the healthy adult. There is nothing wrong with crunching one or two bars fresh from the bed. In addition, the raw consumption should not go in one day. In the organism, oxalic acid combines with the body's own calcium to form crystals. These accumulate in proportion to the amount of raw rhubarb you eat. Sooner or later, kidney or bladder stones may form from the deposited amount even in healthy people. Anyone who is already struggling with this suffering should rigorously refrain from eating the sour vegetable bars raw.

Peeling reduces the toxic concentration

Smooth peels signal ripe rhubarb. Now the temptation is great, right in the bed to eat the first rods raw. If you have concerns about the oxalic acid contained, remove the trays. The toxin content in pulp is much lower than in trays and leaves. In addition, gourmets advocate consuming rhubarb without peel. How to do it right:
  • Cut off bars with a smooth shell in the bed near the ground
  • Cut off the leaves and throw on the compost
  • Clean rhubarb stalks under running water or wipe with a damp cloth
  • Grasp the bowl at one end with the kitchen knife and slowly peel it off
By way of exception, red-stemmed rhubarb varieties may be eaten raw in April and May, along with the delicate shell, because they contain little oxalic acid at the early harvest season. Green-stemmed varieties are generally peeled because they have a higher toxin content throughout the season.

No relationship between flowers and oxalic acid content

Rhubarb flower

Rhubarb plants plant their magnificent flower dress in April or May, circulating new rumors every year about the relationship between flowers and oxalic acid. Stubbornly, the error remains, parallel to the progress of the flowering increase the concentration of oxalic acid. Scientists have credibly refuted this thesis. Delight in the beautiful flowers and can not be reduced by the mistaken belief, the already very short harvest time.
Tip: Cooked rhubarb loses much of its oxalic acid.Ideally, serve the fruity vegetables in combination with vanilla pudding or other dairy products. The calcium contained in it transforms the remaining residues of oxalic acid into insoluble calcium oxalate, which is excreted in the normal way.

From June, do not eat raw or cooked

Rhubarb closes on June 24, the St. John's Day, the time window for the harvest. This is recommended for several reasons. The content of oxalic acid is primarily cumulative in proportion to the course of the vegetation period. At the beginning of the harvest season, peeled, raw rhubarb stalks contain only a small amount of fruit acid. As growth and season progress, the level of concern increases. From the end of June, the consumption of rhubarb is raw and cooked even for the healthy adult risky.
Tip: Home gardeners with their own rhubarb cultivation will be harvesting at the end of June for cultural and technical reasons. Until the beginning of winter give the plants the opportunity to regenerate sufficiently. Without this phase of undisturbed growth, the mighty perennial loses its earning power.
Conclusion
Healthy adults are free to eat one or two rhubarb stalks raw during the day. If the desire for the invigorating, sour fruit pleasure is not satisfied, the vegetables should be cooked. Small children and ailing adults consistently refrain from eating raw. The plant contains abundant oxalic acid, which in large quantities can inhibit the absorption of iron, cause kidney and bladder stones, and even damage the heart. In addition, the fruit acid attacks the enamel aggressively. As part of the preparation with boiling water, the fruit acid dissolves mostly. This is at least the recommended harvest time from May to the end of June. As of St. John's Day, in raw and cooked rhubarb sticks, a critical level of toxic oxalic acid has built up, making eating in any form a health risk.

Video Board: 8 Insanely Dangerous Foods That People Actually Eat.

© 2019 EN.Garden-Landscape.com. All Rights Reserved. When Copying Materials - The Reverse Link Is Required | Site Map