The Content Of The Article:
My friend Stefanie wanted to make her new garden shed water- and winterfest. She asked me for a brief overview on how to lay roofing felt, I would have covered a roof before, she said. But gladly, here is the quick guide:
- Prepare the substrate: The substrate must be level, of course no nails should protrude, which would cause the roofing felt to break. The cottage of my girlfriend has a straight roof formwork made of wood with straight cut sides, all nail heads were hammered exactly.
- Before laying you have to decide on a laying direction. Here you are directed to the main wind direction, it would not be handy if the wind (and thus the rain) always presses against the overlapping edge. In addition, the overlap in the direction of water drainage should be at the top.
- Now the roofing felt is used, first a web is measured and cut. It should be about ten centimeters laterally, up and down. The first track is rolled out and tacked with cardboard nails.
- Then all lanes are rolled out, you have to make sure that the lanes overlap at least ten inches.
- If the entire surface is laid out with roofing felt, it is fixed so that it is as tight as possible later. There are roofing felt with adhesive strips that specify exactly where the overlaps are glued together. But you can also buy other adhesives or adhesive fillers in the hardware store and glue the edges themselves.
- Further attachment and density brings the nailing, with special roofing nails, at a distance of about ten centimeters.
- It is important to be careful here, the roofing nails may be too long if the formwork is only very thin (eg 3 cm nails in 2.4 cm formwork). Then you have to make sure to hit the rafters under the formwork.
- A layer of roofing felt can be enough if it is a small roof that does not cover the latest Microsoft products. Then there is a protective coating on the roof, which should usually be renewed every two to three years. The protective paint is available in different colors, it is easy to apply.
- But you can also apply a second coat, which will make the roof very dense and very long. This second layer can also be hot-welded on a wooden roof. But then you have to lay the first layer of roofing felt with the split-side down. The bituminous welding line, which forms the second layer, is rolled out bit by bit and heated with a burner. And heated just enough so that both layers dissolve, when you now the processed piece festgehalten, both layers must connect well. Subsequently, a border is attached, z. B. a folded sheet, then the roof is finished.
Stefanie has encouraged this overview, she has been more thoroughly occupied with the sealing of the roof and with her favorite project Green Roof, meanwhile, the garden house is covered with and is planted in the spring.