The Content Of The Article:
- Worth knowing about kiwi plant
- Propagation and breeding
- Find an ideal location for the kiwi plant
- Bring the kiwi plant through the winter
The kiwi plant itself is a lush climbing plant that can grow up to ten meters high. In summer it turns slightly pink, but in winter it loses its leaves. It is advisable to use a climbing aid, as the kiwi plant otherwise climbs along everything in its path.
Worth knowing about kiwi plant
- For planting you need heavy soil, mixed with sand or sawdust, so it is loosened up.
- Since the kiwi plant originates from southern China, it likes to warm and needs a few hours of direct sunlight during the day.
- In winter you can still leave them outside, as they then fall into a state of rest. Young shoots should, however, be protected from snow, as they are still very sensitive.
- The kiwi is not watered too much, even if the need for water increases with the size of the plant. Generally, you do not have to water too much, the soil should always be slightly damp.
- As a fertilizer, manure or long-term fertilizer should be used for autumn. Once a month, add some potassium and nitrogen to the soil.
Propagation and breedingThe kiwi plant multiplies with male and female plants. Ideally, more female than male plants should be available for breeding, in a ratio of 1: 3. The general rule:
- Kiwi fruit fruits grow exclusively on female plants, but this can take three to six years.
- Meanwhile, a self-pollinating kiwi or kiwi smoke is available, which thrive well even in moderate weather conditions.
These so refined plants are also with a little skill and appropriate aids to breed itself. Here, the plants should be planted in a certain way in a ratio of 1: 7. However, those who want to achieve high yield with their plants should use different sex kiwi plants, as the self-pollinated varieties produce much less fruit. They are more of a solution for less space.
Find an ideal location for the kiwi plantThe kiwi plant can generally be counted among the climbing plants. The shrub or tree can reach a height of about ten meters. Characteristic of the appearance is the slightly pink-red color of the leaves in summer, in winter the kiwi loses its leaves dress. In order to ensure the optimal and free development of the plant, we recommend the purchase of a climbing aid. A trellis can not only affect the direction of growth, it also provides the kiwi smoke with a useful scaffolding, where the shrub can grow up.
In order to provide the kiwi tree or shrub with an optimal environment, a heavy soil should always be used when planting. Especially with a mixture of sand or sawdust excellent results can be seen in the growth, both components loosen up the soil enormously. If you want a productive kiwi tree in the garden, you should definitely choose a sunny spot for the plant. The kiwi plant needs several hours of sun a day, but in winter the kiwi plants can stay outside thanks to their resting state.
Bring the kiwi plant through the winterIn order for the Kiwi to arrive safely through the winter, the plant should be protected from snowfall, as it will be very sensitive to it. Especially the young shoots of the plant should be protected from snow. Generally applies in spring, summer and autumn: The plant does not water too much. Irrigation of the plant should be done as needed and aligned with the size of the plant. In general, the principle of "less is more" can be followed, but the soil should be kept permanently moist.
For manure, both manure and long-term fertilizer can be used in autumn. By enriching the soil with potassium and nitrogen, the best growth results can be achieved.