The Content Of The Article:
- Schattenrasen: It's all in the mix
- The right time for sowing
- Soil preparation and plant
- Maintain shadow lawn properly
A shade lawn is needed almost in every garden, at least in some areas, because the fewest plots are designed so that the lawn is in the blazing sun from morning to evening. Larger buildings cast a drop shadow and even taller trees shadow the lawn at certain times - even if they are not in the middle of the lawn, but in the edge of the garden.
As a hobby gardener you have to ask yourself if you should make the shady areas better differently - for example, as a seat, as a ground cover or as a shade bed with ferns, shady shrubs and ornamental grasses - all three alternatives are more suitable for the site and therefore in the long run also easier to maintain than a shade lawn,
Schattenrasen: It's all in the mix
Anyone who prefers turf for the partially shaded areas of his garden should sow the right grass seed in any case. Specialist retailers offer special shade grass mixtures for lighter locations. They differ in their composition, especially in one point of conventional mixtures of grass: Shadow grass contains in addition to the usual turf grasses such as perennial ryegrass (Lolium perenne), red fescue (Festuca rubra) and meadow panicle (Poa pratensis) and the so-called Läger panicle (Poa supina). It shows the highest shade tolerance of all turf grasses and shows a coverage level of around 80 percent even after 50 to 75 percent light reduction after three years. However, it is not as resilient as for example the German ryegrass.
The right time for sowing
The best time to sow a shade lawn is the end of February
If the soil is not too humid, you should already sow your shade lawn at the end of February. Reason: Most shrubs are not fully in the spring in the spring and the young grasses have in the important germination phase a lot of light to grow. Temporary cold spells are no problem, because lawn grasses are very hardy even in the youth stage. Important: Pay close attention that the floor does not dry out. Trees extract a lot of water from the soil during the sprouting, so you need to set up a lawn sprinkler in time if the rain stops.
Soil preparation and plant
Under trees, soil loosening is often very difficult due to the dense root system. In order to create good starting conditions for the shadow lawn, you should chop the surface flat and thoroughly clear the weeds. Then apply a layer of humus soil about five centimeters high. It is then leveled with a wide wooden rake and compacted once with the lawn roller before sowing.
The turf roller is used twice when creating a shade lawn: once for soil compaction before sowing and a second time for rolling in the seed
Sowing is the same as with any other turf: Simply sprinkle the seeds of your shadow lawn by hand or with a spreader on the surface according to the instructions on the packaging. Then rake the grass seeds flat, then roll them once again and water the freshly sown surface if necessary with a lawn sprinkler. From the end of March you should bring a starter fertilizer to support the growth of young grasses. Once the grasses are about seven inches high, the young shadow lawn is mowed for the first time.
Maintain shadow lawn properly
A shade lawn needs more care than a normal house lawn, so that it can establish itself under unfavorable lighting conditions.
- Mowing: Like other lawns, use the lawnmower to chop up the shadow lawn at least once a week. However, set a cutting height of at least 4.5, better 5 centimeters. It is important that the grasses still enough leaf area remains after the lawn mowing, in order to make optimal use of the low light
- Watering: As already mentioned, the soil can dry out under trees and larger shrubs already in spring. Check the soil moisture regularly throughout the season and water in time
- Scarifying: In the shade grass, there are usually more problems with moss than on normally exposed lawns, as the grass is not so dense and the moss grows particularly well in the humid half shade. It is therefore advisable to scarify the area every spring, from May on, or to work it out with a lawn fan to comb the moss out of the turf. If there are larger gaps in the turf, they should be sown with shadows
Larger gaps, which are caused by the scarifying, you should nachsäen equal with shade lawns
- Fertilization: As far as the fertilizer is concerned, a shade lawn does not differ from the normal house lawn
- Foliage removal: For shade grass under trees, it is very important that you do not leave the fall foliage on the surface for too long. You should do it at least once, better twice a week with a leafbrush
If you follow all the mentioned tips, the experiment Schattenrasen can succeed. However, those who shy away from the care should, as mentioned above, opt for the planting of ground cover.