The Content Of The Article:
However, most of the work is done in spring and autumn.
Short profile of the work in spring
- Insert pond pump, filter and skimmer
- Cut reeds close to the surface of the water
- Remove proliferating roots at capillary barrier and pond margin
- Clean algae-covered decorative stones
- Use water features
- Put new aquatic plants in the pond
- Check filter
- Adjust water level
- Remove pollen from the water surface (not in skimmer mode)
- Check water quality
- Use new water lilies and frost-free wintered plants
- Feed fish again - from 12° C water temperature
- Insert new fish
- Keep algae under control
- Check pumps
- clean filter
September and October
- Tension the foliage net
- Remove foliage
- Remove tropical plants and non-hardy water lilies from the water
- Hibernate in the house
- Remove water features
- Remove pumps and filter systems
- Do not feed fish at water temperatures below 10° C
- Remove fish from small ponds and overwinter indoors
- Install ice guard
- Tight reed tie something together
- Remove the foliage net
- Install aerator and diaphragm pump
In spring, the water is reorganized naturally. The warmer surface water sinks and the colder water rises from the depths upwards. Not infrequently this leads to strong water changes and also clouding. As a pond owner, you have little influence on that, but after a few days, this is again. If at the first water examination in the year it is determined that the pH value is not correct (below 6) and the carbon hardness is not (below 3° KH), you have to do something.
- As an immediate measure recommends a 20 to 25prozentiger water exchange.
- Add suitable treatment agents
- Remedy already creates a fast water exchange of up to 30 percent
- Use a fishing net or plankton net to fish
- In addition, pump and filter cleaned, reconditioned and ready for use put back in the pond and turn on. They help with the clarification of pond water
- Even water games can be set in motion again
- In order to prevent water pollution, it is necessary to fumigate regularly over the spring with regular floating particles, dead plant parts and algae
- In May, a partial water change should be made with tap water or even better with rainwater. Also, the water levels must continue to be controlled. In fish stocking, the oxygen content is particularly important.
- Basically, a moving water surface is recommended, whether by pumps, spring stone, stream or waterfall. This ensures a gas exchange between water and air and thus sufficient oxygen in the pond.
The plants that were left standing in the fall for whatever reason are now cut off in the spring. The best time to do that is when the retracement is recognizable. When cutting, make sure that it is not damaged or even cut away. Leave everything cut off for two to three days, so that wintering creatures can return to the pond. Only then will the waste be put on the compost.
- At the beginning of April, pick up the baskets containing the water lilies from the deep water zone and place them higher. This is how the shoot is stimulated.
- In addition, the water lilies can be stimulated with a targeted fertilization with fertilizer balls to a rich flowering
- In May it shows which plants may not have survived the winter unscathed where the planting has become too dense or a plant has spread too much. Now it is being cleared, regrouped, replanted or gaps are closed.
- New plants should not just be put in the pond like that. It is better to use plant baskets. This prevents the proliferation and the plants can be easily taken out of the water, be it to implement, to control or to share them.
- Exotic aquatic plants can only be used in the pond in mid-May. These include tropical water lilies, water hyacinths, water poppies, dwarf papyrus, Cyprus grass, dwarf calf, water lettuce and tropical swimming fern. As a rule, they need heat and plenty of sun and can only tolerate water from above.
In early spring, there are often very sunny and warmer days. Fish like to bask in the shallow water zones because the water heats up faster there.With strong late frosts, however, it can happen that the fish freeze and die there. Should such cold nights be announced again, several Eisfreihalter must be placed in the pond, each at the exposed areas.
- From 12° C water temperature, the fish are fed again. This is usually the case in April.
- Do not start at lower temperatures because cold-blooded animals can not digest the food.
- Start sparingly with the feeding
- The food should be eaten in a short time
- Watching fish while feeding, looking for diseases and parasites. Pay attention to spots, fungi, skin redness and altered swimming behavior
- At 12 to 15° C water temperature, also in the house overwintered fish back into the pond. You have to be careful. Only in several steps, some pond water into the container and finally let the fish swim out.
- In the middle of May newly purchased fish can be released into the pond.
- The care requirements of different fish species should fit together.
Those who have frogs and toads in and around the pond should rest the area in early spring, during the spawning season of the amphibians.
Tip: If you do not want to have ducks at your pond, because they literally "roll over" the pond, ie eat the aquatic plants, pollute the water with excreta and the like, you must attach a deciduous net at the same time. It should be mounted high on posts or poles so as not to interfere with plant growth. In June, the network can be removed, then the breeding season is over. It is enough a coarse-mesh model, then you also see his pond. This is usually not the case with close-knit meshes.
Pond care in the fall
In autumn, all sorts of things have to be done. Foliage must be removed, the water must be controlled and cleaned, plants must be cut, the pond must be prepared for winter. Exotics, whether animal or vegetable, have to be taken out of the water to overwinter them frost-free. All the technology in and around the pond is also important. It also has to be maintained and winterized according to the season.
Pumps, fountains, hoses, all these things that are not frost-resistant can be damaged in the pond in winter. Water expands when it freezes and hoses burst, pumps can not withstand the pressure. Alternatively, pumps and filters can continue to run during the winter. This also prevents the units from freezing.
Neither the ventilation fan nor the filter pump may be placed on the bottom of the pond to prevent turbulence of the water in the depth. It is better to place them on a 20 to 30 cm high stone. It is important to leave only pumps in the pond, which frost can not harm.
- Do not remove hardy equipment and keep it free from frost
- When buying pumps, etc., pay attention to winter hardiness
- Always store pumps in a bucket full of water to keep the seals wet and non-porous.
In the fall one of the main tasks is to keep leaves from the pond. This can be done, for example, with leaf nets. They are available in various designs, sizes, colors and with different fastening systems. You can buy by the meter, have a net made to measure for your pond or use the NaturaGart system. It is important to get informed well in advance about the possibilities. If you prefer to see your pond in autumn (this is sometimes difficult under a net), you have to fish or drop the fallen leaves on the water, as the saying goes. In case of heavy leaf fall this should be done daily if possible. It is important that the leaves do not sink to the bottom, what they do when they have been properly full of water. At the bottom of the pond they usually stay in the winter, because it is cold and not much happens. In the spring, however, the leaves decompose, causing fermentation gases and later digested sludge. The foliage changes the overall water quality. It releases tons of nutrients, which then usually lead quickly to an algae plague. That is why it is important to fish the leaves.
- Fishing leaves daily
- Alternatively, attach leaf protection nets
In autumn, the pond plants are cut back. Her beauty decreases a lot. At the end of October, at the beginning of November, one can confidently grab the scissors and cut them off. To densely proliferating plant stands can also be equalized. Too lush growing plants are regrouped or removed. Also remove dead plant parts, as these also form fermentation gases. Bloomed is also cut off. Now is also time to harvest the seeds of the aquatic plants. In addition, it is recommended to stew the deep zone. Reeds, reeds, cattails and all plant stems that are strong and hollow inside are not cut. They look great with hoarfrost and also keep the water surface a bit open in frosty weather.
- Cut off brown leaves and stems
- Cut back or cut out plants
- Remove dead plant parts
- Hibernate tropical aquatic plants in the house
- Some water lily species are not hardy
- In many plants, the conversion into deeper zones, at least 50 cm deep enough
For the fish, it depends on whether they are indigenous or exotic. Non-native species are overwintered almost exclusively frost-free, so in the fall so have to be taken out of the pond at times. Native fish can overwinter in the pond if it is big and deep enough. The pond must be at least 80, better 100 cm deep. Also, he must not freeze completely.
- Stop feeding at temperatures below 10° C
- Place the ice freezer on the water to prevent it from freezing
- There are different models and also alternatives
- Digester gas must escape from the water and oxygen can penetrate
- To catch exotic fish in the near term
- Place in a large container, according to the number of fish
- Connect the diffuser pump with discharge block
- Water temperature between 5 and 8° C
- Regular water exchange
- Do not feed fish below 8° C
Both in spring and in autumn there is a lot to do in and around the pond. In the spring, the foundation is laid for a good biological balance and in the fall, care is taken to ensure that animals, plants and the pond survive the winter well. A pond is always connected to work. Only those who stay on the ball will enjoy their waters.