The Content Of The Article:
- Tomatoes are heavy eaters
- The right dosage when fertilizing makes it
- The alternative fertilization of tomatoes
- Production of nettle manure for organic fertilization
- Worth knowing about tomato fertilization shortly
Therefore, care should be taken to ensure the correct fertilization of the tomatoes.
Tomatoes are heavy eatersFor tomatoes to grow well, they must have a sunny spot and a moist soil. But also a regular and nitrogen-rich fertilization needs a good tomato harvest. Nitrogen stimulates leaf growth Phosphorus and potassium are important for the fruits. This applies to the pot tomato as well as to the outdoor tomato. Before acquiring a purchased tomato fertilizer, the soil structure of the tomato bed should be examined. If the soil is interspersed with humus-rich substances, such as homemade compost, which may consist of leaves or the grass clippings, so you really need no tomato fertilizer. Because this natural and ecologically produced fertilizer can not replace artificial fertilizer.
But not everyone has a composter and so two types of fertilizer should be considered. A fast and slow acting fertilizer. Which one contributes does not really matter to the tomato growth. Incidentally, fertilizer, whether purchased or self-produced, strengthens the resilience of tomatoes and protects them from pests and diseases. Anyone who decides to buy the fertilizer should buy his tomato fertilizer from specialist retailers. This is already mixed and has the right ingredients.
- In addition to potassium, the tomato fertilizer should above all contain nitrogen, phosphate and magnesium oxide.
- Four weeks after spreading the tomato plants, a complete fertilizer can be incorporated into the root area.
- About 50 grams per plant is needed.
- After four weeks can be re-fertilized.
The right dosage when fertilizing makes itWhen buying tomato fertilizer, you should make sure that the nutrient content of the soil is different. The dosage recommendations given on the packages are based on the average content. For clay soils that are already rich in nutrients, therefore, the amount of fertilizer can be halved. The right amount of fertilizer should also be considered. If fertilized too much, the leaves develop strongly, but the fruits remain behind. In order to avoid overdosing during fertilization, it is often necessary to fertilize with low dosage. Plants that require a lot of light also need more fertilizer.
The best time to fertilize is early in the morning and when the sun is not shining. If you fertilize in sunshine, leaves and roots can burn, especially if the soil is dried out. As you like, a fast or slow acting fertilizer can be used. It is possible to fertilize tomatoes with liquid fertilizer but also with powder, grains, drops or sticks. Priced is a 5-kilo-pack of tomato fertilizer at about 10 euros.
The alternative fertilization of tomatoesAs an alternative to the purchased ready-made fertilizer, the tomatoes can also be biologically and naturally fertilized. There are several ways to do this: for example, it is easy to start. This organic fertilizer is particularly suitable for tomato fertilization:
- horse manure
- Horn chips
- Nettle brew
- Comfrey manure
- cow manure
Production of nettle manure for organic fertilizationThe stinging nettle, e.g. is relatively easy to produce. For the production you need gloves, scissors, water and a plastic bucket. Buckets of metal are not suitable because chemical reactions can occur between the nettle and the metal. Fill the stinging nettle into the bucket, fill it lightly, do not compress it firmly. Gloves should be worn. All parts of the plant can be used, but not the flowers. Then the filled bucket is filled with water, all parts of the plant should be covered. Then cover with a grid, so the penetration of animals is prevented in the bucket, which could possibly drown. The nettle jumbo must be stirred once a day, so the manure is supplied with sufficient oxygen. It is stirred until the south begins to ferment, to determine the formation of bubbles, as well as the hearty scent.
The process may continue for up to one week, after which the fermentation process is finished and the slurry can be used.For the young plants is started with a mixing ratio of a part of the manure and 20 parts of water. That 10 liters of water and half a liter of manure. If the tomato has grown vigorously, the nettle can also be administered concentrated. A particularly kalihaltige fertilization receives the tomato when the manure is mixed comfrey. Then the mixture is diluted 1:10 diluted in the root ball, the leaves are excluded. But it can also be taken horse manure and horn shavings as fertilizer for the tomatoes.
If you want to grow good-tasting and fully juicy tomatoes, you need to fertilize them to get a decent yield. The tomato fertilizers that are available in specialist shops often have a mineral base. This type of fertilizer stimulates the growth of the tomato, but does not improve its taste. An organic fertilizer is better for tomato fertilization, it gives the plant strength and brings the unmistakable full flavor.
Worth knowing about tomato fertilization shortly
- A tomato plant is about 1.30 m to 1.70 m high and carries its tomatoes from summer to late autumn.
- Tomatoes should first be grown in the house and planted in the garden at the beginning of the warm season (May).
- From June to August, the tomato plant has yellow flowers, which then later ripen into the popular tomatoes.
Tomatoes need a lot of nutrients. They are heavyweights. The soil should be fully composted already in the autumn, because tomatoes love a humus-rich soil. In order to obtain beautiful large plant yields, that is, to grow tasty tomatoes, the tomato plant has to be regularly fertilized from the beginning of the planting to the harvest. Since the plants are very sensitive, they need a nutrient solution adapted to the tomato plant, and they must work quickly, because the tomato plants grow very fast.
- One should use a specific tomato fertilizer for this, as it is enriched with potassium.
- Potassium promotes the growth of the tomato plant as well as fruiting and fruit ripening.
- In addition, potassium makes the plants more resistant to pest infestation. If the plants fail potassium, this is noticeable through earlier withering or rottenness of the plant leaves from the outside in.
- As organic fertilizers come into question: stinging nettle, horse manure or cow manure.
- Also, mixed drink of one part whole milk and three parts rain water like tomato plants very much.
Video Board: How Often Should You Fertilize Tomato Plants? : Garden Space.