The Content Of The Article:
Attaching & Removing Pole Nails - Instructions
When the upholstery is refreshed, old upholstered furniture suddenly looks like new. The little pretty studs are often beautiful and decorated with all sorts of embellishments, you can do much more with them than repair your old furniture.
It can be real little works of art, attentive creatives remove the upholstery nails from furniture to be disassembled to use them elsewhere.
Remove the upholstery nails
If you are dealing with old upholstery, you should wear the oldest recreational items you have, the whole thing is a really dirty and dusty affair. Especially when it comes not only to remove the upholstery nails from a subsequently to be disposed of chair, can be recommended for allergy-prone people even a nose guard and a mouthguard.
Remove the upholstery nails
To remove upholstery nails from a piece of furniture, you need the right tool, especially if you want to save old upholstery nails without damage. For handling the upholstery nails, there are several special tools that you can get from the saddler or in upholstery workshops and maybe also at some hardware stores:
- A nail lifter can be used to pull out the upholstery nails, it is the special tool for gentle removal. If you need a little more power, the upholstery hammer offers. Similar to a carpenter hammer or a shoemaker's hammer, he is endowed with a hammer in the other direction.
- As a second part of the so-called claw, he belongs thus in the family of claw hammers. The claw flattens forward and has a V-shaped notch, which can be used to remove both upholstery nails and stapled combs from the wood.
- Even more power is transmitted by a chisel, which is a chisel with a broad point, which is used together with a mallet to knock out nails.
- Especially when repairing furniture, the upholstery hammer on visible wooden edges can not simply be replaced by chisels or chisels, both tools would leave visible scratches.
You should always pull the nails in the direction of the wood fiber, which is easier. In addition, avoid damaging the frame if you want to work up the furniture.
- When the upholstery nails are removed, you can cushion the chair. How that happens depends on the structure. There are fixed integrated seats and loose, removable seat inserts without springs, which are easily fitted into the frame. Basically, both seats are the same work, the chair with loose seat insert is easier to cushion, because the seat can be rotated at will and
no springs are included.
- If the chair or armchair has no springs, the straps are removed, the pluck cover and the filling are renewed. If there are springs, they will be uncovered by severing the band holding the springs. They are then tested by squeezing. If the springs yield well and are not damaged, they can be reused. If not, you will need to get and insert new feathers.
- Foam filling material is renewed. When it comes to horsehair, this high quality padding material can be obtained. It is cleaned and reused. To do this, remove the horsehair, pull it apart and shake it off. Then it is washed in warm soapy water, pulled apart again and placed to dry in a warm place. Then the padding is re-introduced and the edge of the padding material sewn with so-called blind stitches. Now the straps are attached again.
Attach upholstery nails
- When all the necessary work has been done, the upholstery nails must be replaced. The special tool upholstered hammer is also used for this. He usually has a magnetic head, which when striking the contact with
relieved the nails.
- The difficulties in driving are here elsewhere: It is not easy at all to place the upholstery nails evenly spaced. Do not try to do that by eye, you'll always be wondering if there's any difference from the other perspective. A good help is a cardboard strip on which you mark the distances. They then press the nails side by side into the cardboard and beat them almost to the bottom. Then you can pull the cardboard strip away and hammer in the nails. Then the upholstery nails really sit side by side like the sparrows on the high current line.
- If you just wanted to remove the old upholstery nails to use them elsewhere, there are plenty of ideas for using these nails.You could build yourself a very special picture frame. Or use the upholstery nails in a home-made piece of furniture as decorative nails. A simple wooden bench, for example, can get a decidedly oriental flair when it receives ornaments from upholstery nails. Some upholstery nails do service on a pin board, where the notes can simply be put under elastic bands.
Tip from the editor
If you are upholstering anyway, you can also do any other necessary repairs to the chair or armchair. Especially the frames of old chairs or armchairs are often damaged and need to be reinforced. That happens before the padding begins.