The Content Of The Article:
- Plants and pruning
- Educate walnut tree crown
- Pests on the walnut tree
- Worth knowing soon
The walnut tree is popular because of its nuts, but also because of the special wood. This is very often used as plywood. Tip: Walnut wood is very hard and is used for flooring and furniture.
characteristicsWalnut trees can grow to impressive size, 15 to 25 meters are not uncommon, some even up to 30 meters high. A walnut tree can reach around 150 years of age, with growth ending in about half the years. Because of its height and the expansive extent of the crown, this tree needs deep roots, known as pole roots. The bark of the walnut is still smooth and light gray in a young tree. As he gets older, the bark can not only become darker, but also be marked by deep cracks. The leaves of walnut are alternate on the branch and grow to about 30 cm tall. Walnut trees are usually the last tree to turn green in spring, and in autumn they are among the first to drop their leaves. When grated, they emit an aromatic, tart odor.
- A walnut tree has both male and female flowers on a tree.
- The male ones are sitting on the hanging "kittens", which got their name because of the soft fluff.
- The walnut flowers from April to June, the fruits are among the nut fruits.
- These walnuts have different shapes and sizes, depending on which of the approximately 60 species it is.
homelandTheir home is presumably in Syria, western and southern Anatolia and in central and central Asia. From there, the walnut was transported on to other regions, including Central Europe. Quite sure, the researchers are that the Romans were very involved in it. Even if today they are only slightly wild, they live on the Rhine and on the Danube in alluvial forests. Meanwhile, the real walnut is also grown in North America, in California very high yielding large plantations are established.
LocationThe walnut can only find space in the garden if it is big enough. Often it sows by chance, ravens and crows fly with the nuts in the beak to their feeding place, sometimes they lose one, which then becomes a seedling under good conditions. This would then be a wild form of walnut, the nuts, which are commercially available, come from high-yielding varieties.
- Basically, it takes until the walnut tree in the garden bears fruit: Only from the age of 10 to 20 years, the time has come.
- Not every tree bears fruit, not all the same and not every year. The weather plays a very important role.
- After a good harvest year, two lean years follow. In general, the good year for walnuts is also said to be a good year for wine.
Plants and pruningA walnut tree should only be planted if the garden is big enough. The tree must not be placed too close to the neighboring border, because of its later size it may cause trouble there. Even if this takes twenty and more years, the bigger the tree gets, the more difficult it will be to remove it later. Also, near a walnut tree, no other species of tree or shrub grows, especially not directly below it. Direct or immediate proximity to a building should also be avoided. Tip: Cut the walnut tree regularly to limit growth.
If the walnut tree has grown in the garden, it should be worked through a main cut in the spring. Even the old wood can be cut back, the older the tree, the thicker the branch can be, which must be removed. If the crown is removed in later years, the walnut tree grows rather broad. In summer, with full leaf growth, it is possible to know exactly where cutting could be done. This prevents later large gaps in the overall appearance of the tree appear.
Educate walnut tree crown
- Since walnut trees belong to the strong growing trees, it makes sense to educate a corresponding crown from the beginning.
- Shortening side shoots is not very cheap, the action only helps in the short term.
- Better is a Auslichtungsschnitt, in which one takes out some Kronenäste completely. So in a few years, a loose crown.
- If it is necessary to prune the trunk extension and some side branches, a derivation cut is most favorable.
- The shoot is cut back except for a weaker side shoot. This then takes over the function as a tip.
- Usually there are several shoots in the coming year. All but one, the planned master drive, are removed.
- If you just remove the top of the walnut tree, so that it does not grow in height, the result is that the tree drives out extremely strong, mostly broom-like, which is not desirable at all.
- In this case you have to recut very often. So it is better to cut him down to a suitable weaker branch.
Pests on the walnut treeWalnut trees have been increasingly used in Europe since the 1980s by the walnut fruit fly (Rhagoletis completa). It lays eggs in the immature pericarp of the nut, thereby rot the fruits and turn black. The pulp can no longer be taken out of the nut. In years with heavy and frequent downpours and low intermediate highs, walnut trees do not dry up sufficiently. As a result, the leaf fungus (Gnomonia leptostyla, Marssonina juglandis) arise. This fungus is capable of destroying entire crops.
Worth knowing soonA walnut does not have to be cut, but it can, if you follow some rules. A cut is not necessary for the increase in yield. In principle, you cut only when it's too big or it does not get that big.
- Since the cuts only heal slowly, the right time is particularly important.
- In spring, the juice pressure is very high, which is why a cut causes the tree to lose a lot of juice.
- Although this bleeding is not life threatening to the walnut tree, it is better not to cut so early.
- Better is an appointment in late summer. Ideal is the end of August to the end of September.
- After that, the wounds can close until the first frost.
Reduction of the crown
- Shorten every other shoot in the outer crown area at the height of a fork by a maximum of 1.5 meters!
- Leave the other shoots behind - they will be cut in the coming year.
- The natural growth habit must not be affected!
- Steep upward shoots, which are in competition with the central drive or guide branches, you cut out best in the year of origin.
- They are cut out at the point of attachment.
- Only then can a uniform crown be formed.
If you want to plant a walnut tree, you should opt for a refined variety. These trees are not quite as tall and voluminous. In addition, you should not put a walnut tree too close to the property line to prevent later quarrels. You can educate a young tree quite well, so you do not have to make a radical cut later. Better to cut little from the beginning, that gets the tree much better.