The Content Of The Article:
It is a tragic accident that a gardener from Bremen fell victim in August 2016. In gardening, he encounters a wasp people, who set up his nest in an earth cave, and accidentally destroys it. The angry people immediately attack and attack the man and his wife. Both are stabbed several times. The 78-year-old, the wasps even pierce the throat and throat, causing his tongue so swelling that he smothered on the way to the hospital.
The incident shows that we should be careful now in the high, late summer and fall. Which home remedy to help against annoying wasps, on what you pay attention to in gardening and how you should behave at a trick, we have collected for you.
Hanging, in trees, trusses or garden sheds one expects Wespennester most likely. That wasps but also live in earth caves, many are not known
General to the wasp
There are eight species of wasps in Germany, and only two of them come together regularly: the common wasp and the German wasp are attracted to our sweet drinks or other foodstuffs and therefore often quarter themselves in the vicinity of humans.
The reason why we feel the animals, especially in the summer, is their life cycle. A wasp people survive only a year and dies in winter. The new cycle begins with a single wasp queen, who begins to build a nest in the spring and sets the egg-laying ground for her new state. It takes between three and four weeks for the first wasps to hatch. Afterwards, the queen is only busy laying off more eggs, whereas the female workers take care of the nest building and the care of the larvae. In late summer, a wasp population then reached its highest population of up to several thousand animals. At this point, the queen changes the production of offspring and switches from non-fertile female workers to sex animals. The male wasps arise from unfertilized, the budding queens from fertilized eggs. The larvae of the queens are also fed with special food, which they are able to form ovaries. After hatching, the animals mate and the young queens go in search of a suitable winter quarters. When this is done, the old people and their queen dies.
Individually and unassembled, it can usually be very good with wasps. But if they feel threatened, it can be dangerous
How to deal with wasps
Wasps are hardly noticeable in spring, because the peoples here consist of only a few animals and the nests are accordingly small. In the summer we pick up the big nests in exposed areas such as on the roofs or in trees. With some security measures, however, despite the yellow / black neighborhood, a peaceful coexistence is possible:
- Make sure that you do not create attractive and potentially dangerous habitats for wasps such as roller shutter boxes, false ceilings or garden sheds. Cracks and gaps should be sealed accordingly.
- Instead, provide them with other living spaces such as unused attics or the like, where no clash will need to be feared.
- If you find abandoned earth caves in the garden, close them in summer so that no young queens nest there and develop an invisible danger in the garden.
- Use insect screens on windows to deny wasps.
- If there are wasps in your own home, you open two opposite windows so that the animals find their way out through the draft.
What you should not do!
Wasps are very social animals and work collectively with pheromones to trigger actions. Therefore, there are some things to consider in your own behavior:
- A dead wasp is not a good wasp! Killed animals emit a pheromone, which makes other wasps aggressive and puts them in an aggressive mood.
- The same applies to attacks such as vehement fidgeting, hitting them and the like. The animals are not displaced by it, but they react aggressively. Tip: Stay calm, a wasp stings only when it feels threatened and disappears by itself.
- Avoid open food and drinks outdoors and use straws for drinks. The animals are naturally attracted to it and the greatest danger is a sting in the mouth or throat.
- If you have fruit trees in the garden, you should ensure that Fallobst is recycled or disposed of. It attracts the animals unnecessarily and often leads to bites in barefoot running garden visitors.
Depending on how the affected person reacts, a wasp sting can be painful or life-threatening
To properly feed a wasp sting
Basically, wasps are not aggressive outside of their protected territory (the nest), at the most curious or in search of food. Therefore, there are only dangerous clashes when we behave wrong or the animals feel attacked.
A wasp sting can cause a strong allergic reaction by its composition from different protein bodies. Usually it is just painful and the tissue around the puncture site swells more or less. It is really dangerous if we are stung in the mouth, throat or neck area. Then there is - as with the unfortunate gardener from Bremen - the danger that the tissue swells so much that the oxygen supply is interrupted and we suffocate.
Procedure for a wasp sting:
- If the sting occurred in the above-mentioned danger area of the respiratory tract or if an allergy to wasp poison is known, an emergency doctor should be alerted immediately.
- Even if no allergy is known, the bruised should be kept in mind. If chills, sweats, shortness of breath, trembling or similar occur within the first 20 minutes after the bite, these are signs of an allergic reaction and the ambulance should also be switched on here.
- Wasps usually do not lose their sting at the sting, as is the case with bees. However, you should nevertheless take a closer look at the puncture, remove any broken spines and clean the area with a disinfectant, as they can lead to inflammation.
- If no allergic reactions are detected, the pain can be alleviated with the help of a cold pack at the injection site.