The Content Of The Article:
- This is how white asparagus grows
- How to properly care for white asparagus
- White asparagus: pouring and fertilizing
- Foil insert - pros and cons
- Asparagus Care: The most important tips at a glance
So that you can harvest your asparagus after a long growing period, a lot of care is necessary. What exactly you need to do, you will learn in this guide.Asparagus also grows in your own garden - if you spend time and love! The cultivation is not as complicated as generally believed, but white asparagus needs several years to harvest. During this time, some care measures are necessary.
White asparagus is one of the perennial vegetables. But until it can be harvested, some measures are needed. This explains the high price that has to be paid per kilogram.
This is how white asparagus grows
- In autumn before sowing: Prepare soil well! That means you have to dig at least two spades deep.
- The following spring create a trench, measuring 40 centimeters deep and 50 centimeters wide. At a distance of about 40 to 50 centimeters you put small piles into which you put the young asparagus plants. Around the young plants you are multiplying soil. Leave the further excavation, you need it next year. In autumn, cut off the asparagus green.
- In the second year remove the withered parts in the spring and re-cultivate soil. The asparagus green, which grows over the summer, shorten again in autumn.
- In the third year the first asparagus sprouts form. Now multiply soil again, up to a height of about 30 to 40 centimeters. From April to June 24 the asparagus ripens. Once the tips break, light protection with a dark foil or further piling is important. In the following years the plants carry several times. Asparagus plants are used with good care for up to ten years.
How to properly care for white asparagus
Weeds are best removed regularly. The plants also need regular water - rainwater is ideal. In the spring of the second year, the young plants receive well-rotted compost for a good nutrient supply, which they easily incorporate into the environment of the plants.
In the first two years, cut the asparagus green in autumn and remove the last wilted parts in spring.
Carefully created piles of soil around the plants ensure protected growth. You can use the excavation for that. A slightly sandy, loose and well-drained substrate is ideal. If in doubt, improve the soil with some sand. Gravel or even stones may not be included. In practice, the asparagus bed looks like this: The piles line up to form a kind of earth rampart.
White asparagus: pouring and fertilizing
Asparagus plants need regular water, they must always be kept slightly moist. However, waterlogging should not form, so careful soil preparation is particularly important. From spring to late summer, you provide the plants with a potash fertilizer, about every six weeks.
Foil insert - pros and cons
In commercial cultivation, the use of foil is now common, so that the asparagus gets a uniformly warm climate to grow. Under the film, however, increases the risk of plant diseases. The asparagus foil is suitable for private cultivation, if you want to easily protect the sprouts from light until harvesting. Asparagus also tastes good when the tips are discolored by sunlight, but the look is also crucial. If you value a completely natural cultivation, you will regularly plant earth even during the maturation phase.
Asparagus Care: The most important tips at a glance
✓ Remove withered parts in spring, shorten asparagus greens in autumn.
✓ Always keep the soil moist, fertilize several times in the summer.
✓ Pile soil around the plants.